We did it! Have A new TOW VEHICLE! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Reinhold!

So sorry you couldn't keep your Ridge Would you believe I've been a member of the Element Club for 6 years, so it was a natural course to sign up with the Ridgeline guys, too!!!! (In fact, I see some familiar names there!)

They are a great group of people---just like the folks here! I've already been studying some of the mods on the Ridgeline site (especially dog platforms in the backseat!)

I'm not sure why---but guess we lucked out and the 7-pin was already there and (supposedly) already wired. We haven't been able to hook up to the camper yet to see if it does work---gee I hope so. I was at the dealership yesterday getting the E serviced and asked again, and they said it was wired. We shall see!

Glad you still have your Burro!

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. Drove home Spring 2009!)
good deal on being on the ROC! I still browse there but haven't posted in a while... have to keep my Ridgeline knowledge sharp for future possibilities...

also interesting your RTS had the 7 pin already installed. looking back at your picture of the tail end I can see it there under the bumper to the left of the hitch. maybe from '09 to '10 they included it on the RTS? can't remember but for sure the RT lacks it and has to be installed (which again to me is silly if they're gonna be putting the hitch itself on all the trim levels...).

for others looking at the Ridgeline, also forgot to mention that both a HD ATF cooler and PS cooler are built in stock. while not particularly hard to install, it makes it very convenient that they are already there.

be sure to post pics of your RL pulling your trailer when you get to that point.
reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
no longer gonna be using the voyager....just finished the trailer hitch install etc....thing really pulls ! Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
100_5537 (Small).JPG  
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #24

Registry
Reinhold---yep, can't wait to get Bean hooked up to the Ridgeline! Right now, camper is in the shop getting a facelift! Wanted a color that would look great with the truck and still mesh with the coffee shop colors---decided on a gold for the over all color with a thin stripe of black above the belly band and a wider stripe of dark rust below the belly band. Now I'm thinking wouldn't it look sweet to get the side protector strips for the truck and have them painted gold and rust???!!!!

Bruce---that is sooooo cool!!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #25

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
Reinhold---yep, can't wait to get Bean hooked up to the Ridgeline! Right now, camper is in the shop getting a facelift! Wanted a color that would look great with the truck and still mesh with the coffee shop colors---decided on a gold for the over all color with a thin stripe of black above the belly band and a wider stripe of dark rust below the belly band. Now I'm thinking wouldn't it look sweet to get the side protector strips for the truck and have them painted gold and rust???!!!!

Bruce---that is sooooo cool!!!!
Vickie,

We have a Silver '09 Ridgeline RTS. Purchased it new last November when Honda was giving a $4000 discount on the remaining '09s. Traded in an '03 Pilot. For our needs the RL is just about perfect. We don't drive much and the mileage is just now getting to the 6000 mark. The fuel mileage continues to get better.

Most likely, if "Bean" has a round 7 pin electrical connector, plugging it into the Ridgeline will operate everything except the brakes. To tow a camper with electric brakes, and have the brakes work, you will need to install a brake controller. In the glove box, there should be a wiring harness in a plastic bag. One end plugs into a connector under the dash. The other end connects to a brake controller that you will need to purchase. Your trailer brakes will not work without the controller, unless the 2010 RLs are different from earlier models. It would be a good idea to also purchase a "Pigtail" that when plugged in to your 7 pin connector will reduce it to a flat 4 pin connector. With that you will be able to tow trailers that have 4 pin connectors which include most anything without electric brakes. These pigtails can be found at Home Depot or Lowes in their trailer accessories, and probably Walmart in automotive.

Of course some light weight campers don't have brakes and use a 4 pin connector.

Sure hope you will enjoy your RL as much as we have.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #26

Name: Gary
Trailer: Looking
Ontario
Good choice.
Gary the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #27

Registry
Kip,

Great information----Thanks!!! About the brake controller: does that mean all we need to do is purchase the controller, attach it to the dash and plug in the connector, or is there more wiring involved? Sure would be nice if there was something we could do ourselves

This is killing me: we are having beautiful weather, going to Kansas this weekend to visit hubby's dad, and it would be a perfect time to CAMP-----but Bean is still in the shop

Jane: if you are reading this: I think I'll call the truck "Grinder" (as in "coffee"), since the camper is Bean (as in coffee). And Grinder is a manly name!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #28

Name: sherry
Trailer: Traveleze
Alaska
Vickie,
Why is the "Bean" in the shop?
highlandsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #29

Registry
Not to worry--Sherry! I took Bean into the shop about 2.5 weeks ago with a list of things for them to do: check gas lines, electrical wiring, install skylight, check axle and trailer brakes, reseal all windows, possibly new windows front and back, seal around door, replace hinge bolts on door and straighten door out, and PAINT Bean to look stunning behind the truck!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I think I'll call the truck "Grinder" (as in "coffee"), since the camper is Bean (as in coffee). And Grinder is a manly name!
Considering your new truck is black, have you considered calling it Espresso?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #31

Name: sherry
Trailer: Traveleze
Alaska
Troy- that's a cute name

Vickie- I can't wait to see the pic's!!!! How exciting for you!! I guess it's safe to say you're keeping the bean, or grinder.....lol
I can't wait to take my trailer in for some much needed attention, but with the work needed on the door, and minor body work (I think), then new paint job will be too much.......maybe not. I should take it down for a quote.
highlandsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:53 AM   #32

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. Drove home Spring 2009!)
Quote:
About the brake controller: does that mean all we need to do is purchase the controller, attach it to the dash and plug in the connector...
Vickie,
yes! Honda made it super easy to use a brake controller on the Ridgeline. I used one bringing our Burro home. If any doubts you can always have someone check your work but it really is a snap to do.
reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #33

Georgia
Quote:
Kip,

Great information----Thanks!!! About the brake controller: does that mean all we need to do is purchase the controller, attach it to the dash and plug in the connector, or is there more wiring involved? Sure would be nice if there was something we could do ourselves
Sure!

The one we did was in 2007, but everything would still be about the same. I haven't done it on mine yet.

Good idea to disconnect the black cable from the battery before starting this proceedure.

Look in the glove box and retrieve the plastic bag containing the "pigtail", instructions, and a yellow fuse. Don't loose the fuse when opening the bag. One end of the pigtail will have 4 loose wires and the other end will have a gray female connector with 4 pins inside.

Under the dash on the driver's side, and probably to the left of the steering column, there is a male connector. It most likely will be tapped to another cable with BLUE tape. The tape may be wrapped around the connector itself, making it hard or impossible to see.

When you find it, unwrap the blue tape, so you can work with it.
Plug it into the female connector on the pigtail.

From this point on, follow the instructions that came with the pigtail, which will also tell you where to plug in that yellow fuse. The controller will also have instructions, referencing which wire to connect to which.

We got the "Prodigy" brand controller from eBay to save a few bucks. It is supposed to be one of the better ones. But, most places that sell utility or camping trailers, also sell controllers.

You will need:
> a crimping tool and some splices, to properly connect the pigtail to the controller.
>a drill and bits to make holes for mounting the controller
>a screwdriver or two
> a 10mm wrench or adjustable wrench to disconnect the battery

We found a place on the bottom of the dash just to the right of the steering column, to mount the controller. There was nothing we could accidently drill into that would cause a problem. It is out of the way from our knees and can still be gotten to for hand operation if necessary.
Once we found the connector under the dash we were finished in about an hour.

If you should decide to have a mechanic do the job, be sure to tell them about how the connector under the dash may be hidden with that blue tape! That will save a lot of searching time.

Kip
Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #34

Georgia
Controller

Vicky,

Since you were towing with an Element, it occures to me that the Bean may not have brakes, and have a flat 4 pin connector instead of the round 7 pin one.

If that is the case you don't need a controller. All you need is a pigtail to plug into the back of the Ridgeline that reduces the 7 pin to a flat 4 pin.

Kip
Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #35

Registry
Thanks, Kip. Those are great instructions! We just may try it ourselves! And,luckily, Bean does have the electric brakes, so we do have the 7 pin connector! Yeah!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #36

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Congrats on the new TV. I still think TV means television, so it takes me awhile to convert my mind to Tow Vehicle! I digress, congrats!
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote