Wearing new rear tires too much? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
Wearing new rear tires too much?

We have a '94 Bigfoot trailer that we tow behind an '01 F250, 7.3L shortbed truck. We are currently in Alaska. I put brand new mtires on this truck before leaving MT 3 weeks ago. I have driven approx. 3500 miles on these new tires. The rear tires show appreciable wear as apposed to the front tires. The center tread is wearing out much faster than the front tires center trad. I have checked the air pressure in all tires and all are 6o pounds each. I had the front end aligned when we purchased these tires. The trailer is not overloaded and we use a weight distributing type tow system. Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I carry two spares and have put these spares on the rear axle for the moment. Thanks in advance for any info from this forum. MTG
MTGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Over inflated tires wear out the center and under inflated tires wear the outer edges. You need to make some adjustments.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I would reduce the rear tire inflation and check the WDH.
Is it puting more or less weight on the rear tires?
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
May I assume you are talking about the TRUCK tires wearing, and not the rear pair of a tandem axle Bigfoot?

When I first read you message, I sorta assumed it was the rear wheels of a tandem axle trailer...(jumping to confusions as my Bigfoot IS a tandem axle)

Then I re-read and said - "wonder if it is the TRUCK rear wheels?

Better ask....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

Our 2007 Silverado crew cab has 38PSI in the tires. 60psi sounds high to me. What does the sticker on the doorjam of the truck say?
Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #6

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
We really need more information to give good advice. First of all, yes, I too am assuming you are talking about the tires on the drive axle of the truck. A car or truck tire should really not be showing any appreciable wear in just 3500 miles.

Now then, what kind of tires ? Are they "P" tires, or are they "LT" tires ? Telling us the brand, model and size of the tire would be helpful.
Also look closely at the writing on the tire sidewall. What does it spec as the "max psi" ?

On the info you have given, I'd have to agree with Darwin....it sure sounds like you are overinflated.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #7

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
It sounds like your tires are overinflated.
LT235/85R16/E is the factory tire size.
What brand, style and size tire did you install?
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #8

Our camper has 85lbs in the tires and the truck has 38lbs. Check your truck tire sticker.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
Montana
Tire wear...

Factory size details 265-75-R16 to be inflated no more than 75 PSI. My tires are 265-75-R16 LT load range "E". I had them installed before we left for AK. The dealer inflated them to 60 PSI. The fronts are not wearing badly at all. I have had other brands that have worn well. Not these Les Schwab "Wild Country" tires. I took the rears off and put my old Toyo M-55 spares on. Gonna use these for spares only when I get back to MT. I will buy some BFG "Rugged Trail" tires for my F250. These Les schwab "Wild Country" tires are truly crap. Thanks for the help. MTG
MTGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #10

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Tom,
I would try less air in the rears to flatten them out. If that is the specified tire size for your truck the rim width is probably wide enough to not pooch the tires in the center tread. Trucks usually wear the outsides off the front tires, and by inflating to 60 psi you are lifting the edges of the tires off the pavement, or unweighting them which is working to allow even wear on them. The rears typically wear the centers, so may require less air pressure to flatten them. With the weight distributed hitch the rear truck tires would be carrying less weight, so you may be able to carry it with less than maximum air pressure. The ride should improve too. I ruined the front tires on my 3500 work van by inflating to 50 psi instead of the maximum inflation. It took the outsides down in just a few thousand miles. I now have them at maximum to wear out the centers. I'll be watching them more closely now.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Truck - Recommended tire inflation will be on the driver's door panel.
Big Foot Trailer - Recommended tire inflation along with all other specifications will be on the inside of the clothing armoire door. Unless it's been pulled off.

FWIW - our Dodge 2500 w/17 inch tires recommends 50lbs psi all around. Currently 60000 mi and 60% wear left. And the twin axle BF w/ 15 inch tires is 35 psi.
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Getting back into it
Ontario
The recommended pressure on the door sticker is for when you are carrying the max recommended load on that axle/tire. Oversized tires or an empty box will let you air down for longer more even tire life. Load equalizing hitches can actually reduce the truck axle load.
Your front axle weight doesn't change as drastically as your engine weight stays pretty constant and a passenger (150-200lbs) is only going to make a 5% difference
Patvetzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #13

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvetzal View Post
.... Load equalizing hitches can actually reduce the truck axle load. ....
You are correct that it is in fact possible to lift enough weight off of the rear axle, that it could weigh less than it would when unhitched.

And if the weight distributing hitch is set that way, it is absolutely, positively incorrect. Every single WD hitch manufacturer, and all vehicles mfr's that allow WD hitches, ( that I have read about ) emphatically state that situation must be avoided. They all go on to caution that setting up the hitch that way will lead to an unstable handling vehicle, and could cause loss of control and possible accident.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires