Weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Weight

What does a U-Haul 16' VT weigh
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
Have you seen this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

the 16 is not listed but the 13 is, and many other 16's. It might give you an idea. Best bet is to hit a public scale. I use the DOT scales all the time if there are no trucks waiting.
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face It depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
That is easier asked than answered. There is no single answer. For instance, I have weighed many nearly identical Casita 17' Spirit Deluxes, and no two weigh the same. You can see that in the http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html thread.

A manufacturer may publish a DRY weight, but nobody's trailer weighs that. This is not necessarily due to lying (although there is much suspicion) but that once it becomes yours, you will add to it. Some only a little, others more.

What I suggest is that most 16' trailers, even those by different manufacturers, are usually comparable. Go to http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html and list ALL of the 16' trailers.
The lightest one is 2,020 lbs and the heaviest one (mine) is 3,260 lbs. I would surmise that any 16' trailer would weigh somewhere between 2,000 and 3,300 pounds.

My porker of a Fiber Stream didn't always weigh almost 3,300 pounds. When I first bought it, I took it to a public scale and it weighed approximately 2,600 pounds. So there is no one answer for even the same trailer.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Frederick,
Great job on that database by the way!

The differences are easily understood if you see how they produce the fiberglass shells. The resin / glass mixture is sprayed into the shell molds by the operator until it "looks about right". Well, a misjudgement of just 1/16th of an inch could change the shell weight by 25% or more. There is no precision in that process other than the skill of the operator. It's not critical really, so this is not a criticism, but that's where the differences come from. I do think the averages reported by the manufacturers are "optimistic" as well.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The differences also have a lot to do with the options and what people carry in personal stuff. The published dry weights do not normally include anything that is considered an option such as the fridge, stove, hot water tanks, ac, bathroom, awning or even a battery or propane tank for that matter.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
I would like to thank all of you, The state of Michigan wanted something in writing as to the weight of the VT so we could get the license and title done.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Take it to a truck stop that has a scale. They will weigh it for a nominal fee (<$10) and give you a printout. It is probably to your advantage to take all your stuff out first. It might be less to register if it is lighter. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #8

Michigan
Registry
The trailer is in Wichita KA and I am in Coldwater Mi, but thank you
Old 11-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
I took the (trailer weights in the real world ) in and they took it so I could get my permanent license plate $75.00

Tags
weight