weight distributing hitch--clearance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
I am planning to order a weight distributing hitch, likely a Drawtite #7901 with straight bars. Is there any problem with clearance between the bars and the side-mounted crank?

Derek
Derek Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Derek, maybe I missed the post, but what are you towing with? Very few 16' Scamps require a WDH. My 1988 Deluxe weighs unloaded 2150... and tows just fine without a WDH. I have a sway bar, but have never hooked it up. That doesn't mean I won't, I just haven't. I can't imagine needing a WHD.

Any other opinions out there?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
I am towing with a Honda Odyssey. Fully loaded the trailer weighs 2180 lb. and Honda recommends a weight-distributing hitch once you hit 2,000 lbs. There are four of us in the van and the dip in back/rise in front is borderline. I checked each axle at the weigh station and I am only 40 lbs. under the maximum allowed on the back axle. The front axle, however, can take another 300 lbs. I figured I should try to shift some of that weight to the front axle and also level out the tow vehicle. My only concern, other than the price of the darn hitch and shank, is that the side-mount crank might interfere with the bars.

Derek

Quote:
Derek, maybe I missed the post, but what are you towing with? Very few 16' Scamps require a WDH. My 1988 Deluxe weighs unloaded 2150... and tows just fine without a WDH. I have a sway bar, but have never hooked it up. That doesn't mean I won't, I just haven't. I can't imagine needing a WHD.

Any other opinions out there?
Derek Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I am towing with a Honda Odyssey.

My only concern ... is that the side-mount crank might interfere with the bars.

Derek
I tow with a Honda Odyssey, and my Fiber Stream has a center mount tongue jack.
I don't see how a side mount jack would allow a 2-bar trunnion system (like mine) to function.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I am towing with a Honda Odyssey. Fully loaded the trailer weighs 2180 lb. and Honda recommends a weight-distributing hitch once you hit 2,000 lbs. ... My only concern ... is that the side-mount crank might interfere with the bars.
Reese makes a light duty WDH #66069 that might work for you, this is what is says from their website:

Quote:
This light duty weight distributing system is especially designed for use with lighter weight trailers and pop-up campers. The center mount single bar is contoured to avoid interference with center mounted jacks. Easy to set up and use. The lift mechanism is designed to prevent interference with gas bottles or battery trays. Works with any 2" receiver.
The integrated lifter bar feature provides the advantage of allowing a single person to operate from one side of the trailer. This system works with both side and center mounted tongue jacks. The sway control platform allows you to put a friction sway control on either side of the trailer.
  • Bolt-together welded head
  • Integral sway control platform
  • Innovative single spring bar design
  • Assembly hardware and chains included
  • Rated up to 4,000/400 lbs. weight distributing
  • Works with both side and center mounted tongue jacks

Name:   Reese66069.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  61.6 KB

Link to PDF installation instructions with diagrams

A quick web search = $235 here with some nice pictures
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
I use a WDH with my Ranger and Burro, and I have both a centre and side-mounted crank, and the Equalizer hitch works just fine. I towed without the WDh when I first got the trailer, and while the hitch may seem like overkill, I'm never going to be without it after having used it. The trailer tracks behind the truck like they're one unit.
I'm too much of a Luddite to post pics, ir I'd show you my configuration, but the WDH fits with the side crank on the Burro at least.
Good luck with this.
Cheers
Ian

Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have the single bar system as roy shows.

I am very happy with it on my Jeep Liberty/17 foot Burro combo.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The reason the WDH makes the rig tow better is that instead of two vehicles rocking up and down, the hitch makes it effectively one vehicle with three axle, but doesn't inhibit turning (or sway).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight