Weight Distribution Hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Weight Distribution Hitch

Having never used one but in the market to keep my FJ level when towing, there is a 6000lb gross and 600 lb tongue weight weight distribution hitch for sale here on the forum. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...obo-56975.html
My Escape is rated 4000 lb max with a loaded weight of 3300 lbs and tongue weight is 340 lb.
Do I want something that handles more than my capacities or something closer to my capacities. Would this be a good match for my trailer? thanks for reading and your input.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd compare it with others as to how much does it weigh itself.
I've not done that, but I would think the greater capacity may come through more weight. The one I use is 68 lbs. for the hitch and bars and that's enough for me.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe this unit maybe heavier, perhaps 80 lbs?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having never used one but in the market to keep my FJ level when towing, there is a 6000lb gross and 600 lb tongue weight weight distribution hitch...
My Escape is rated 4000 lb max with a loaded weight of 3300 lbs and tongue weight is 340 lb.
Do I want something that handles more than my capacities or something closer to my capacities. Would this be a good match for my trailer?
I don't know what you want, but I would want the softest possible spring bars than can apply as much distribution action as I need... which means no extra capacity at all. One challenge in selection is that the WD action required has nothing to do with the gross trailer weight and is not even directly related to the tongue weight. It's a matter of how much relief the tug's rear suspension needs. As a rule of thumb, you could assume your tug needs as much help as most other people's and get a WD system with nominal capacity to match your tongue weight, which means the very lowest-capacity system you can get. It's really about the FJ and how it is loaded, rather than the weight of the Escape.

Extra WD spring bar stiffness means more load change as the rig goes through dips and over bumps.

"600 pound tongue weight" is at the low end of rated capacities for traditional WD systems; there are a few "lightweight" alternatives available with nominal tongue weight capacity in the 350-450 pound range. I don't know how important it is to pursue a closer match.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I towed with an Odyssey for 3 years and being a Casita SD I imagine my tongue weight is considerably more than what your dealing with. I used a single bar that was rated at 4000# and it worked great. The danger with using the heavier rated wdh is proper adjustment. When I got the F150 I still used it for a while and although I quit using it I have to admit the ride was much better with it
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill MacDermod View Post
I used a single bar that was rated at 4000# and it worked great. The danger with using the heavier rated wdh is proper adjustment.
Good point: not only does the action of a too-stiff WD system change a lot with bumps and dips, it changes a lot with each step of adjustment. Since most designs adjust in distinct steps (chain links and head angle shim positions), it could be difficult to hit the right setting.

As I recall the Reese lightweight single-bar WD system adjusts with a threaded rod - no steps. This may be what Bill has, and there are other members here who have used it (but not me). It does not include any sway-control capability.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
I use that exact same hitch to pull my 19' with my Pilot and it works great! You want a hitch that is rated over the load pulled but not by a great amount. The 6000 lb hitch is the lowest size they have so it covers everything up to 6000 lbs...not overrated at all.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

The weight of the complete Reese single-bar system is 55 pounds; the other lightweight Reese (Mini 350) is only 37 pounds. The Mini 350 also has some frictional sway dampening action, but seems less convenient to set up and use.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
look at this first

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having never used one but in the market to keep my FJ level when towing, there is a 6000lb gross and 600 lb tongue weight weight distribution hitch for sale here on the forum. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...obo-56975.html
Do I want something that handles more than my capacities or something closer to my capacities. Would this be a good match for my trailer? thanks for reading and your input.
Look at Panther RV Products.com

Roadmaster Active Suspension MK3-XXS 3611S Camper Trailer RV Towing Suspension

Price: $379.00
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #10

The "Roadmaster Active Suspension MK3-XXS" is a booster/windup spring - despite the name, it is not any kind of "active suspension". Suspension changes can enable the tug to better handle tongue weight but do not perform a load re-distribution function; Jim was asking specifically about WD system selection. Also, this specific product is for leaf-spring suspensions, but the Toyota FJ Cruiser has coil springs.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #11

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
WD hitch

Jim,
I think the general rule of thumb is to get the "weight bars" that are the next weight class up from what your actual tongue weight is. In my case, I use a BlueOx swaypro, with 550 pound bars. That means these bars are intended for for tongue weight of 350 to 550 pounds. The way the swaypro is made, if I were to go for instance to a bigger trailer that has a higher tongue weight, all I have to buy is new bars, in a higher rating. They have bars rated at 550 pounds, 750, 1000 and 1500. The rest of the parts on the hitch are common.

I weighed my hitch. The hitch head assembly weighs 68 pounds, and the bars with chains weigh 12 pounds more.
I am sure it's safe to say that many brands of WD hitches work well. I can only comment about this brand with my Frontier and this trailer ( Funfinder 19' ) and I will say it works well. It transfers the correct weight to restore the front axle load, and the sway control works correctly.

I would suggest careful set up of whatever hitch using a tape measure, then a trip to the CAT scales for verification/fine tuning. Once you have towed with a properly set up WD hitch, you will be pleasantly surprised at how well they work and how much easier the drive is.

george

gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight