Weight Distribution Hitch - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: Mickey
Trailer: 2016 BigFoot 25B25RQ
Oklahoma
Weight Distribution Hitch

First, this is our first RV so please excuse my ignorance in advance.

We just purchased a 2016 Bigfoot 25B25RQ. Our TV is a 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 HD with the Cummins. The previous owner did not use a WD hitch and claimed he had no problems with control. I towed it about 100 miles when we pulled it home without the WD hitch and it seemed to be fine.

My question is: Is it really necessary to use the WD hitch if the TV is heavy duty enough?

Any help would be appreciated.

MnP

MTRCYCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Does your owner's manual give any guidance on the tongue weight range for which WDH is recommended or required?

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

Oklahoma
The Dodge owners manual doesn't address it. The Bigfoot owners manual just states if you do use a WD hitch then do this. It doesn't say whether or not you need it.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I guess the next question is what is the tongue weight of the BF and what is the max tongue weight of the tow.
For reference, my RAV4 has max tongue weight of 350 lbs. The trailer tongue weight is 320. Rear of RAV4 drops a couple inches without WDH and ride is bouncy. I use a WDH, which gives a much more secure feel and removes the bounce. It also prevents the headlights from pointing at the sky.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #5

Oklahoma
The factory specs show the BF tongue weight at 610 lbs but I am sure that will change as I load the trailer. I am going to have to wait on the Dodge specs until later when I get home. But I know it is way over 610 lbs.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
To answer your question, a w/d is intended to shift some weight of the rear of the tow vehicle. Sometimes the weight is too much and it can impact the steering, the axles and general towing comfort. If you are within your tow vehicle's specs, and it tows fine, then no, a w/d is not needed.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Ok Thank you for that information. I didn't know if the trailer itself required it to take weight off the tongue or if the TV was the main consideration.

I did find my Dodge specs. I have the class IV hitch. Max trailer weight 12,000 lbs and max hitch weight is 1800 lbs.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Most trucks have a limit for tow weight over 5000 or so pounds and require a WDH over that limit.
From the Ram information

https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilde...ficationId=390

Class IV

5000-pound non- weight distributing
12,900-pound maximum weight distributing
1290 lbs. tongue weight
Largest travel trailers made for recreation
Weight-distributing hitch is required; as indicated by each weight classification

If the weight is over 5,000 lbs then you must use a WDH or you exceed the limits of the vehicle.

Almost every truck has this approximate limitation.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #9

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Dragging the WDH out to the tow is a pain. If the ride is fine without, I'd do without.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Dragging the WDH out to the tow is a pain. If the ride is fine without, I'd do without.
Yes it is a pain, but then you would not meet the requirements for the weight over 5000 lbs.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 2018 Casita Independence
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTRCYCMAN View Post
First, this is our first RV so please excuse my ignorance in advance.

We just purchased a 2016 Bigfoot 25B25RQ. Our TV is a 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 HD with the Cummins. The previous owner did not use a WD hitch and claimed he had no problems with control. I towed it about 100 miles when we pulled it home without the WD hitch and it seemed to be fine.

My question is: Is it really necessary to use the WD hitch if the TV is heavy duty enough?

Any help would be appreciated.

MnP
I would think your fine without one, they are a PITA for sure.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
WDHs are mainly to keep your headlights from pointing up in the sky . and to maintain enough weight on the front wheels for traction and steering control.
See my remarks in another post.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I bought a 25R25RQ this last Feb and pulled it from Atlanta to Nashville, going up a 6% grade at Monteagle, TN, in a heavy rain. No WDH. No sway and no problems. Hit 70 mph for a few minutes after it stopped raining and before I realized my speed. I will be putting a Blue Ox Sway Pro on and will use it, but I don't think it is needed. The Big Foot is just very well designed and made, can't say that about most other TT's. Many people on the BF Forum say they don't use WDH.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
One thing you want to check when towing is stability. Start at slower speeds, maybe 30 MPH and twitch the steering wheel a little bit to one side then back straight to make the trailer sway a little bit. If it quickly returns to tracking without excessive oscillating back and forth then up the speed 5 MPH and try it again. If at any time the trailer sways back and forth and takes a long time to straighten out don't go any faster or you stand the chance of losing control. As long as the rig is stable, keep upping the speed until you are at your top driving speed. There are two reason I suggest this procedure. One is that it simulates a collision avoidance maneuver and it is good to know how your rig handles, similar to practicing skidding in a snow covered parking lot. The second is that you may have to take steps to improve the stability of the rig. The addition of a WDH, which transfers weight to the trailer wheels and front wheels of the tow vehicle, helps stability.

You also want to make sure your trailer is level when hitched up. If the hitch is too high it reduces your tongue weight and raises the center of gravity of the trailer, which reduces stability.

Tags
weight