Weight Distribution systems Yes or No - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
Commercial Member
 
Larry,C's Avatar
 
Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17 LD
Kentucky
Posts: 194
Weight Distribution systems Yes or No

https://youtu.be/lVg8QgIFJoU
__________________

__________________
Visit Beetlefreak.com to see our complete line of Casita latches and other interesting items.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,661
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
Great info. Larry. I remember when front wheel drive was introduced by Oldsmobile, a WDH company used this car to advertise how the WDH distributed the weight to keep the trailer & car combo level even with the car's rear wheels removed. This set-up also puts more stress on the very light weight trailer frame. Thanks for sharing.
Dave & Paula
__________________

__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,271
Took that guy 45 seconds of the video to start saying what he was going to surprise us with. When he finally got around to it, he was making assumptions and creating a scenario to back up his claim, which doesn't apply to all single axle trailers. His was a 3,000 lb axle. Mine is 3,500 lb. axle. He fills his tow vehicle with junk. I don't. Guy needs to go back to school.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,271
Further to my previous comment, I have taken my rig over a truck scale, so I have actual numbers, not suppositions. WDH was in use.
Trailer axle capacity is 3,500 lbs.
Tow vehicle front axle was 2380 lbs.
Tow vehicle rear axle was 2138 lbs.
Trailer axle was 2821 lbs.
3,500 minus 2821 is 679 lbs of leeway.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2
Northern Nevada
Posts: 526
Glenn,
The guy in the video, as hard as it is to watch, seems to be making the point that if your axles is at capacity, you should not use a weight distributing hitch.

Your axle is not at capacity, so using your hitch is fine. Was there more to it than that?
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,271
Nope. He went to great lengths to create the scenario and then wasted a vast number of pixels on a video.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,385
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nope. He went to great lengths to create the scenario and then wasted a vast number of pixels on a video.
I have to agree - could have been said in a sentence or two. The problem is there are many users that don't understand text - If you don't show them a video, it doesn't count. Check out the thousands (maybe millions) of YouTube videos taking 10 - 15 minutes to cover one sentence's worth of information.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,661
Registry
I have a question. These numbers on TV axles front/rear and trailer are static numbers. Does weight on various axles change when one goes into a gas station with steep incline or such? I only ask since seeing that FWD Oldsmobile without any rear wheels sitting hooked up to a trailer with a WDH and both vehicles sitting level make me think that the weight does get distributed under variable conditions.
__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,271
If you were to jack up at the hitch and then install WDH bars that are way over the required rating, and shorten the chains beyond normal, you could get the rear wheels off the ground, but that's not what you do, except to take a picture.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,661
Registry
Yes, I understood that for the picture they had to over tighten the WDH, but I was wondering about those steep approaches into and out of gas stations, and how they would effect the distribution of weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the trailer axle. I have seen a couple types of WDH, and one in particular has chains in place of bars, and I think that they connect to a urethane
dampener that would possibly counter act this problem? I once had a WDH/anti-sway bar combination that had no chains involved, (just two square bars that sat on top of an "L" bracket on the trailer tongue) and with this set-up when I went down a sand road with dips, my rear wheels would spin.
Dave & Paula
__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,243
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Yes, I understood that for the picture they had to over tighten the WDH, but I was wondering about those steep approaches into and out of gas stations, and how they would effect the distribution of weight from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the trailer axle. I have seen a couple types of WDH, and one in particular has chains in place of bars, and I think that they connect to a urethane
dampener that would possibly counter act this problem? I once had a WDH/anti-sway bar combination that had no chains involved, (just two square bars that sat on top of an "L" bracket on the trailer tongue) and with this set-up when I went down a sand road with dips, my rear wheels would spin.
Dave & Paula
Think about what WHD does, it stiffens the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle in a vertical position. In the Front wheel drive demo the total weight is on the front axle of the tow and the trailer axle(s). Not a problem.
The problem occurs when you still have weight on the rear axle of tow and additional weight on the trailer axle. When there is an attempt to at a different attitude than the trailer the weight on the trailer axle will be different than both on level ground. Tow nose down and trailer level, trailer wheels are unweighted, Tow nose up and trailer level extra weight (force) on the trailer axle. Basic HS science.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2
Northern Nevada
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have a question. These numbers on TV axles front/rear and trailer are static numbers. Does weight on various axles change when one goes into a gas station with steep incline or such? I only ask since seeing that FWD Oldsmobile without any rear wheels sitting hooked up to a trailer with a WDH and both vehicles sitting level make me think that the weight does get distributed under variable conditions.
Axle ratings are static ratings, yes. But they take into account driving with that load. Not sure how much more than the static load they can handle, but I know they can handle a lot more. It's also not possible, without some fancy equipment to figure out the instantaneous spike in the load, and it doesn't matter. There is a comfortable margin.

Unless you are going over repeated jumps, with more than the rated static load, you have nothing to worry about. Worst case is the wheels will develop some camber and then you'll know you are nearing the limit.

I recently read about a couple with an Escape that bent an axle going over ice heaves. So they upgraded to the next higher rated axle and springs.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2
Northern Nevada
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Think about what WHD does, it stiffens the connection between the trailer and tow vehicle in a vertical position. In the Front wheel drive demo the total weight is on the front axle of the tow and the trailer axle(s). Not a problem.
The problem occurs when you still have weight on the rear axle of tow and additional weight on the trailer axle. When there is an attempt to at a different attitude than the trailer the weight on the trailer axle will be different than both on level ground. Tow nose down and trailer level, trailer wheels are unweighted, Tow nose up and trailer level extra weight (force) on the trailer axle. Basic HS science.
Basic HS science? Not so much.

If you have tandem axles with an equalizer system, the weight each axle carries is the same over different ground conditions and wether the trailer is nose high or nose low. This is true for about 3" of travel difference between the two axles. So if the trailer is out of level, or you drive into a driveway, or you run over a big bump, the axles share the load equally. It also means the WDH loads both axles equally. Torsion tandem axles are different as they don't have the equalizer.
__________________
I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt.
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,661
Registry
Thanks Byron, so the guy in the video wasn't an idiot after all? HWY 191 in northern AZ was the worst road we have ever been on....I swear that the front wheels of the truck came off the ground at 10mph less than the posted speed limit.
Dave & Paula
__________________

__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weight


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is my weight distribution hitch worth the tongue weight and effort. beachcamper54 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 24 01-25-2014 11:41 AM
weight distribution hitches Ian-Vicki Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 16 07-09-2007 02:47 PM
Single Bar Weight Distribution Hitch Gina D. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 33 03-19-2007 12:11 PM
Weight Distribution Trailer Hitch Systems John D. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 1 01-10-2006 03:53 PM
The importance of proper weight distribution Legacy Posts Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 6 03-21-2003 06:48 AM

» Trailer Showcase

2011

brian m.

1997 Scamp

hghsl
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.