welded vs bolted axle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #29

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Raising a trailer with frame welded side mount brackets: Dexter has three axel brackets heights 0", 1" and high lift 3". Most of our trailer have the 1" bracket to allow room for the axle camber bend with the drop floor trailers. When you want a lift at axel replacement time you can order a high lift bracket and raise the trailer an additional 2". If you want more axle ground clearance you can only get it by increasing downward angle of the swing arms.
Orbital machine works makes 3" spacers that bolt between your current bolt on axle and welded side mount brackets . The Casita crowd use these blocks when putting 15" tires on their trailers.
http://perfectcasita.com/casita-axle-lift-kit.html
Eddie

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #30

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
.......The Casita crowd use these blocks when putting 15" tires on their trailers.
Eddie
I'm a Scamp owner and replaced the axle a number of years ago. I run 15" tires. Had I known THEN, what I know NOW, I would have purchased a 22 degree down axle and used a spacer... everything bolted on. Instead, I went with a 45 degree DOWN axle and it's welded on. Either way would work, live and learn... and add bunches of years here. Isn't knowledge grand!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #31

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Welding vs. bolting makes no difference to a skilled metal fabricator as far as ease of doing the job. In a perfect world all trailer axles would have the same standard bolt layout so they could be interchanged by walking into Walmart throwing the axle into the cart taking the axle home and have your teen age daughter bolt it in. In the world as it is, axles are installed in a variety of ways and sourced from several companies. Just have the fabricator do the job the way he or she feels comfortable with. Structurally both are sound methods, and certainly won't cause problems for the next owner. The average guy doesn't possess the skill set to tackle this job anyway.
Russ
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #32

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Raising a trailer with frame welded side mount brackets: Dexter has three axel brackets heights 0", 1" and high lift 3". Most of our trailer have the 1" bracket to allow room for the axle camber bend with the drop floor trailers. When you want a lift at axel replacement time you can order a high lift bracket and raise the trailer an additional 2". If you want more axle ground clearance you can only get it by increasing downward angle of the swing arms.
Orbital machine works makes 3" spacers that bolt between your current bolt on axle and welded side mount brackets . The Casita crowd use these blocks when putting 15" tires on their trailers.
Casita (Dexter Torflex #10) Axle Lift Kit
Eddie
Best point so far! The 13Scamp could actually use just about that 2" height increase to make it perfect when ordered with a graywater tank and flush toilet.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #33

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Donna, have you got a pic of your scamp "from the waist down" (since you're camera shy and you've probably instilled that in your scamp) so I can see how a 16 looks standing on 15" stilettos? I'm so darned curious as to how it looks perched way up there.

Sharon
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #34

Oregon
Sharon, my camera died and I don't own a cell phone.. all I can tell you is I'm perfectly happy with what I've done. Yes, I would change it to what I posted earlier, because NOW I know the reasons for doing things differently. At the time, I didn't have that knowledge....

Remember, I'm towing with a Ford F-150 truck.....

I'll look for a picture, I think someone posted a pic of my tug and tow at some gathering.... don't hold your breath!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #35

Texas
Donna, if I don't hold my breath, who will?

S.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #36

Oregon
Okay, Sharon found a crappy photo. Mike Price made a movie of the 2011 NOG at L.L. Stubb Stewart SP. This is a screen capture from that. Notice the bottom of my tug (2 wheel drive Ford F-150) is the same as my Scamp:
Attached Thumbnails
2011_NOG.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #37

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Welding vs. bolting makes no difference to a skilled metal fabricator as far as ease of doing the job. In a perfect world all trailer axles would have the same standard bolt layout so they could be interchanged by walking into Walmart throwing the axle into the cart taking the axle home and have your teen age daughter bolt it in. In the world as it is, axles are installed in a variety of ways and sourced from several companies. Just have the fabricator do the job the way he or she feels comfortable with. Structurally both are sound methods, and certainly won't cause problems for the next owner. The average guy doesn't possess the skill set to tackle this job anyway.
Russ
Removing 4 bolts isn't any easier than cutting off, grinding smooth, welding on, and repainting? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Most of the guys I know possess the skill to do this…it's a rough built camper, not a rocket.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #38

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I'm a bit puzzled. (Not hard to puzzle me!) In another thread, someone stated that a torsion axle should not be welded because the welding heat can ruin the rubber inside the axle. But here we are on page 3 of this discussion, and no one has mentioned this issue. What's the deal?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #39

Texas
Donna, yes, I see that even-ness. I'd love that for my rig. I have (frikkin) 17" tires on my pathfinder. I wish they were 16's. But anyway, I love that level of clearance. Am working on budget -- I need several other critical things as well before I hit the road.

Thx, S.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #40

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Here's a picture of Donna's Scamp that I took at the 2011 Spring NOG. Click on the picture to enlarge it.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2886b.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #41

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you like we will just call it "heat treated", I guess using that term came from 35 years of hearing it and seeing it on weld relateds and work orders in the refinery.I do understand that there are "non heat" forms of stress relief as well... such as shot peening, but not in the case of truck frames.
Yes, stress relieving is usually done by heat treating, but heat treating can be used to harden, or to soften... or to stress relieve. The one which causes problems for welding is hardening, so a stress-relieved structure would likely have been heat-treated, but wouldn't be a problem to weld.

It would be bad to weld an axle onto a hardened frame; as far as I know it would be fine to weld an axle onto a stress-relieved frame. Both are heat-treated.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #42

Texas
Great photo, Jeff. I get a good feel for how high that sucker sits -- the clearance is splendid!

Sharon

Tags
axle