welded vs bolted axle - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #61

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Removing 4 bolts isn't any easier than cutting off, grinding smooth, welding on, and repainting? We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Most of the guys I know possess the skill to do this…it's a rough built camper, not a rocket.

Disagree all you want dude. Like I said there is no standard hole pattern or axle length. Good luck sourcing and bolting in an axle from generic stock. While you're trying to figure out the dimensions I'll have mine cut out, prepped, squared and welded in. No standards = not any easier

Most of your friends can weld and fabricate, but not the "average guy" that I mentioned. I know quite a few people that can do this type of work, but they are a minority including all people I know.

Not a rocket, but has to be structurally safe and sound, which requires skill and proper tools to accomplish. There are so called welders that I would not let touch my trailer, let alone the "average guy". It takes years to learn how things are done.

Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #62

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Regarding galvanizing, it is harmful stuff to inhale, so proper venting and filters must be used when welding or torch cutting. I have been sickened several times in my life when the job required working on that stuff. The last time was the worst case. I had to be lowered down into a 36" diameter galvanized pipe well casing riding on a crane hook with a cutting torch. My job was to cut about a hundred 4" round holes in the casing to allow concrete to go outside the pipe. I was down there burning away for about 30 minutes when I had difficulty seeing. My vision was not allowing me to focus. I yelled to get pulled out, which they did. I got to the top and passed out. When I awoke I couldn't see. Several minutes later I started to get some vision back but there were big black objects flying around my vision field like hallucinations! One old welder that was on the job said to drink buttermilk and I would be good as new. I took that advise, but was nauseated and had a metallic taste in my mouth for 2 days afterward. I have never welded this stuff again, as I feel the metal stays in your body for years. A positive pressure air supply should be used. I weld quite a lot of stainless steel these days which is also bad due to hexavalent chrome fumes. Same precautions apply.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #63

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Like I said there is no standard hole pattern or axle length. Good luck sourcing and bolting in an axle from generic stock.
The Dexters are all built to order on a computerized line. Replacing the original specs should be easy.
Replacing with bolts is easier and less stressful to the metal of the frame.
Cheaper than welding.
No brainer to me.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #64

Name: lester
Trailer: 1973 hunter
Mississippi
we have a 1973 Hunter 1 need to change the axel to raise the camper! any suggestions would be appreciated
keysday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysday View Post
we have a 1973 Hunter 1 need to change the axel to raise the camper! any suggestions would be appreciated
You might want to start a new thread on this and provide some more details - like what kind of suspension it has (leaf springs, torsion axle, etc.)

Tags
axle