welded vs bolted axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
welded vs bolted axle

There seems to be a preference among some posters here for bolted-on axles.
What is seen as the advantage to bolting the axle to the frame?
I would prefer welding and see it as more stable,less expensive, and easier to swap-out after more than a quarter century of use.
I do have a MIG, a grinder, and a box of cut-off wheels, but then... every job requires the right tools.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
On two later model Scamps I looked at it appears they are now using the bolt on brackets or at least the two I looked at. The brackets and bolt kits cost about $50 extra.
I recently replaced two axles. One with and one without the brackets. It takes the same effort to cut off an old axle about 1 hr. and to weld on a new axle with or without the brackets. I agree with Floyd I think the welded to frame axle is a more secure installation. But I think the mfg.'s prefer the bracket installation. I really doesn't matter to me I won't be changing out those two axles in another 25 years.
If you install brackets you are more than likely doing it for the benefit for the next owner. But you could also get a bad axle, in that case then you would see the return on your $50 investment. In another the situation where you desired to change your axle angle or change to a high lift it would made the change easier if using a Dexter or ALKO.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I do have a MIG, a grinder, and a box of cut-off wheels, but then... every job requires the right tools.
For a bolt-on, that's a couple of wrenches, plus the same jack and jackstands needed for the welded installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
If you install brackets you are more than likely doing it for the benefit for the next owner. But you could also get a bad axle, in that case then you would see the return on your $50 investment. In another the situation where you desired to change your axle angle or change to a high lift it would made the change easier if using a Dexter or ALKO.
I agree.

In the case of the original trailer manufacturer, that "next owner" is the first owner.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
In my experience it does not matter if the axle is welded or bolted, removing the axle after 20+++ years still requires cutting either the welds or the bolts. Properly installed and torqued bolts will provide the same stability and strength as welding. The only difference in my mind is that a bolt-on installation allows for easier future adjustment to the axle position either side to side or front to back if needed.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
In my experience it does not matter if the axle is welded or bolted, removing the axle after 20+++ years still requires cutting either the welds or the bolts. Properly installed and torqued bolts will provide the same stability and strength as welding. The only difference in my mind is that a bolt-on installation allows for easier future adjustment to the axle position either side to side or front to back if needed.
I agree wholeheartedly! Having the ready ability (i.e., not owning a welder) to move an axle back a bit can have a very positive effect on trailer sway control as well. I would always prefer a bolt on axle.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Helite
If it is bolted on, you can change it yourself in a couple of hours. If it is welded on it will cost you several hundred dollars to have a professional welder to change it out.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #7

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Does the bolt on axle make it easier to "raise" a scamp a couple of inches? I've never noticed (never looked and can't right now as it's stored) if my 16' Scamp 2011 is bolted on axle or not. Darn!

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Does the bolt on axle make it easier to "raise" a scamp a couple of inches? I've never noticed (never looked and can't right now as it's stored) if my 16' Scamp 2011 is bolted on axle or not. Darn!

S.
It depends on the type of axle. A spring axle can be flipped. I had a stickie that had been done to, and I reversed it to get it back to stock. I don't have any experience with torsion axles, so have no clue. To me, bolting anything makes it easier to work on!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
It depends on the type of axle. A spring axle can be flipped. I had a stickie that had been done to, and I reversed it to get it back to stock. I don't have any experience with torsion axles, so have no clue. To me, bolting anything makes it easier to work on!

Frank
I agree with Frank that a leaf spring axle can be flipped. On a torsion axle spacer blocks can be installed between the frame and the axle mount to increase ground clearance
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Cutting out an axle and welding in a new one your going to have to get everything much higher up. so its more work. If your 45 years old and cutting in and welding in a new axle it isnt too big a deal job wise. But doing the same thing 25 years later is a big deal at that age and getting someone to help you replace a bolted in axle is much easier. I dont know about you but the kids and young adults these days are not as cross trained and handy as the older folks were at the same age years ago. They dont seem to mind paying for everything that they should have learned to do. There is alot less talent to draw from.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For a bolt-on, that's a couple of wrenches, plus the same jack and jackstands needed for the welded installation.
Assuming the bolt-on brackets are already installed?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...One label which is read on a frame of 18 wheeler manufacturing...DO NOT WELD ON THE FRAME.....If you pay attention to heavy truck chassis assembly, I bet a few welds would be found...It must have a...reason.....Just my input...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
...One label which is read on a frame of 18 wheeler manufacturing...DO NOT WELD ON THE FRAME.....If you pay attention to heavy truck chassis assembly, I bet a few welds would be found...It must have a...reason.....Just my input...
A pure case of apples and oranges... Fiberglass RV trailer frames are not stress relieved, besides the bolt-on brackets for these little trailers are to be welded in place anyway.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
There seems to be a preference among some posters here for bolted-on axles.
What is seen as the advantage to bolting the axle to the frame?
I would prefer welding and see it as more stable,less expensive, and easier to swap-out after more than a quarter century of use.
I have a welder, torch, plasma cutter, cutoff tool, and several other things…none of which do me the slightest bit of good if a bad bearing spins and welds itself to the spindle along the road.

There's no way welding is easier to swap out. It took several hours to get the axle off. I could have this one off in 5 minutes.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Cutting out an axle and welding in a new one your going to have to get everything much higher up. so its more work. If your 45 years old and cutting in and welding in a new axle it isnt too big a deal job wise. But doing the same thing 25 years later is a big deal at that age and getting someone to help you replace a bolted in axle is much easier. I dont know about you but the kids and young adults these days are not as cross trained and handy as the older folks were at the same age years ago. They dont seem to mind paying for everything that they should have learned to do. There is alot less talent to draw from.
Sage commentary, which would certainly apply to the second axle replacement... However, adding bolt-on brackets is about equivalent to a weld-on application.
Would you expect to do this more than once?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #16

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
That's due to heat treating. We aren't dealing with 180,000 psi frame rails on our campers. Besides, plenty of people have cut and stretched them (raises hand) with no issues.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I have a welder, torch, plasma cutter, cutoff tool, and several other things…none of which do me the slightest bit of good if a bad bearing spins and welds itself to the spindle along the road.

There's no way welding is easier to swap out. It took several hours to get the axle off. I could have this one off in 5 minutes.
WOW! You actually carry a spare axle?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #18

Kansas
Quote:
WOW! You actually carry a spare axle?
No, but I can get the old one off and fixed, or have another one made like it at the next town. Been there, done that.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Assuming the bolt-on brackets are already installed?

Quote:
Sage commentary, which would certainly apply to the second axle replacement... However, adding bolt-on brackets is about equivalent to a weld-on application.
Would you expect to do this more than once?
That's only the case if the manufacturer did not follow Dexters installation procedure which "recommends" the brackets. Not following the recommended installation procedure is also grounds for not honoring the warranty.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
That's only the case if the manufacturer did not follow Dexters installation procedure which "recommends" the brackets. Not following the recommended installation procedure is also grounds for not honoring the warranty.
Why then does Dexter want to know which way you plan to install when ordering? Why not "require" instead of "recommend" the brackets.
Never let a warranty stand in the way of improvements.
I have not said that bolt-on brackets are bad at all.I just wondered what all the fuss was about...Still wondering
Appears to be more or less a distinction without a difference.

Tags
axle