What a mess! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: 1984 13ft. Scamp
California
Unhappy What a mess!

After viewing answers to my questions about a tow hitch for my 13' Scamp, I went to U-haul in Redlands. Big mistake! I ordered online and printed out info and had a total price of $204.95. I made it VERY clear that I wanted a Reese hitch. When I went in to the dealer to have the work done I again verified the Reese hitch and he said, "yes." His total was $474.89, much different from my online total?? and I had already paid $50.00 when ordering. When I returned home and looked at the hitch I see it says "U-Haul Power Tow." When I called and questioned this he said, "it is a Reese but we take off their label and put ours on." "no, I want to see Reese on the hitch" I took it to Toyota Service Dept. and they said it is NOT a Reese but an aftermarket special. Then they got the drop so low that I hit cement going out their driveway. There is no way I can tow anything with this set-up. I called back again and ask to take everything off and give me money back------they refused but called later to "make a deal." Now I don't know what to do? Oh yes, they put the electrical outlet way to the side instead of next to the hitch part where I see all the other vehicles have it?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #2

Name: darryl
Trailer: 1974Ventura
B.C.
i would have only paid the 204.00,take it back,tell them to remove ALL hardware,and promptly refund your money,sounds like you've been taken advantage off.Let them know what the toyota dealer said as well..........
1974ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you don't get a resolution you are happy with, contact their corporate office with ALL your documentation. Also the Better Business Bureau. But first give them an opportunity to make things right.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
U-haul is probably the biggest installer oh hitches in America.
Over the years I have had at least 6 or 7 U-haul hitches and NEVER had a problem. I towed a horse trailer that weighed close to 10,000 pounds many many miles.
There is nothing wrong with U-Haul hitches.
Reese may very well build their hitch and place the U-haul sticker on at the factory.
As for what the Toyota dealer told you, I doubt he knows the difference.
I worked for a Toyota dealership after retiring. When they needed a hitch they sent the vehicle to U-haul or a local RV dealer.
My connector is about 10 inches to the left of the hitch because of brackets behind the bumper.
Were I you I would relax and find out exactly why the price was so different.
I did have a problem on my last PU. The U-haul installer got very rude when I pointed out the hitch was not a total frame mount as I had specified and refused to change it.
I paid The $180.00 and sent an e-mail to the regional office of U-haul.
I had a call from the regional manager the next day and two days later I had an appointment at a different store and the type of U-haul Hitch I requested.
They were more than accomodating.
I think part of the reason is I did not blow my stack, as usual, and was reasonable.
I think when you get above the store level you will find they are very reasonable.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #5

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Every Uhaul installed hitch I have seen has a Uhaul sticker on it. I would say that it is not reasonable for youth ask for one with a Reese sticker. For that, they would have to go out and pay retail for the hitch instead of buying it from the manufacturer like they normally do.

Now, as far as which hitch you've got, can you post a picture of it? It is most likely a Curt, Reese, or Hidden Hitch. Curt is usually considered the best quality of the three... And the most expensive. I would be happy if it were a Curt.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 AM   #6

Maryland
I you are talking about the 1993 4-Runner that you mentioned in another post, it looks like there is only a Draw-Tite hitch made for it. The good news is that Draw-Tite and Reese are the same company. I can't find any listing of a Reese branded hitch for a 1993 4-Runner.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
contact your c/c company and explain that you want to return it and not be charged.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #8

Maryland
Sandra, I think you might have missed some more charges on the hitch installation. I just looked up 1993 4-Runner on Uhaul. They list the price of the hitch at $204.95, but that doesn't include installation, ball mount, ball, wiring, etc. What all did you get?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'd suggest that you take some pictures of the installation and post them here. There is enough collective knowledge here to tell you who made the hitch, whether it was done correctly, why the electrical connector is off center and whether it is indeed mounted too low.

I agree, as others have noted, that the $200+ is the cost of the hitch not including installation. It sounds like more of a gap between expectations and reality than any malfeasance by UHaul.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #10

I went to UHaul in St. John's, Newfoundland to ask for a quote on a hitch for my '91 Ranger - waited over 30 minutes at the counter while the lone guy on the desk served others because his co-worker hadn't come back from lunch on time - when I finally did get served (no apology for the wait, of course), he refused to give me a quote until he had my name, street address, postal code and phone numbers.

The quote for Joe Bloe's '91 Ranger hitch "...that's spelled B-L-O-E"...came to $75 more than the one I'd just gotten from the best RV shop in town. I won't be bothering UHaul again...I can live without the lousy attitude and lousy customer service...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Like McBrew says, there are only a couple of manufacturers. The labels are what differs. I agree the extra $ are most likely for the extra components and installation.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hayes View Post
I went to UHaul in St. John's, Newfoundland to ask for a quote on a hitch for my '91 Ranger - waited over 30 minutes at the counter while the lone guy on the desk served others because his co-worker hadn't come back from lunch on time - when I finally did get served (no apology for the wait, of course), he refused to give me a quote until he had my name, street address, postal code and phone numbers.

The quote for Joe Bloe's '91 Ranger hitch "...that's spelled B-L-O-E"...came to $75 more than the one I'd just gotten from the best RV shop in town. I won't be bothering UHaul again...I can live without the lousy attitude and lousy customer service...
Sorry for your bad experience, but it is a mistake to paint with too broad of a brush. In general most customers have had a good experience with UHaul - that is why they are still in business - since 1945. I know that they have a few bad employees and I've dealt with a few. I can say that about many other businesses, too.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #13

The demand for name, address and phone number isn't a case of a bad employee - it's policy, and it stinks. I dislike companies who demand and collect information as a condition of responding to a simple request for a quote.

The same branch, when I was considering buying a Uhaul CT 13 a couple of years ago and wanted info on new wheels, was anything but helpful - finally said they didn't want to take a chance on dealing with someone who'd stolen a trailer. Claimed U haul has never sold any CT 13s. Around here, for my money, Uhaul is just plain bad, bad news.....
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Every Uhaul installed hitch I have seen has a Uhaul sticker on it. I would say that it is not reasonable for youth ask for one with a Reese sticker. For that, they would have to go out and pay retail for the hitch instead of buying it from the manufacturer like they normally do.

Now, as far as which hitch you've got, can you post a picture of it? It is most likely a Curt, Reese, or Hidden Hitch. Curt is usually considered the best quality of the three... And the most expensive. I would be happy if it were a Curt.
I would tend to disagree. I've priced several hitches, and Curt hitches were generally less expensive than any others. As for quality, I think you all know what I think of them.

As high as a 4Runner is (assuming that's the vehicle), I am shocked and puzzled that you could have bottomed it out. Or do you mean that you hooked the trailer to it, and the jack foot bottomed out? That would not be surprising, and my favorite remedy for that is a replacement swing-away jack.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote