What are your thoughts on a new tow vehicle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
My TV is a 2011 Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4 (5.7 V8). I use it both to tow my Snoozy and as a commuter vehicle. My commute is only 3 miles each way so I'm not totally insane. I fill up about every 6 weeks or so.

It tows beautifully (probably an overkill) gets about 15.5 mph when towing (highway and 2 lane roads) and is perfect for all those weekend trips to Lowes, etc. I went with the supercab so I can transport my parents, their dog, and my 2 cats as well as all my Mom's luggage on trips to my brother's house, etc. I absolutely adore this truck!

Parking can be a challenge at times but I've learned to be patient. I also park at the far end of the parking lots and walk.

The truck is really comfortable and rides beautifully. The only changes I would make is to add a factory install rear view camera system and captain's chairs for the driver/front passenger. I'm short and my arms don't rest comfortably on the armrest or console as the seat is wide.
From what I've read on the E-mails I got from Chrysler, their 2014 model trucks will have the rear view camera as standard equipment as part of their backup safety equipment . I wish I also would have purchased the camera on my 2011. I know some will argue that this is another government intrusion in our lives but I have 9 grandchildren and I can see the value of having the camera

Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The new 2012 FJ cruiser has the backup camera, great for solo hookups.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I'm not a gadget guy, so I won't tend to buy things like rear view cameras just to make my life easier. Which is odd given that I work in high tech, but that's the way it is. I'd rather crank my windows down by hand than deal with power windows that are one more thing to break when the vehicle is 10 years old.

I don't think I need to worry about my wife stealing my truck for her daily use -- unlike my 60km/week commute, she commutes 80km/day -- I think the fuel cost would kill her.

I think what I need to do is get a little more experience with a big truck. Try to see what it is all you "truck guys" like about your vehicles.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm not a guy... but I own a Ford F-150 and love it! It's my daily commuter and the fuel mileage for that stinks. Which is really different than towing. I don't understand how homeowners can get along without a truck. I haul everything from manure (in bags) to gravel, rocks, lumber, etc. that would totally mess up a van, sedan or SUV. I like hosing out the bed of the truck! I don't want a utility trailer or need to rent a truck either. Tow vehicles are like the molded trailer. It's what YOU want or need.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We tow our Egg Camper with a Chevy 1500 with the small V8. Does a good job as I'd expect an F150 to do. It's very comfortable, can tow the Egg C. in overdrive and towing mpg varies from 13 point something to 17 point something depending on wind, traffic, hills, speed, etc. Non-towing highway mileage runs from 18 point something to 21 point something depending on the above variables. Have no idea what city mpg might be. Besides, we really like the bed space (covered) for hauling our camping "stuff".
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #20

Ontario
I always have problems converting litres per 100km to miles per US gallon... For reference, the ford.ca website quotes the F-150 with ecoboost engine as 12.9l/100km city, or 9.0l/100km highway. That converts to 18mpg city, 26mpg highway.

Is anybody here driving a recent F150? ("Recent" meaning 2011 or 2012). I realize the fuel economy numbers on the website are rather fictional. I'd be curious to know what sort of real life fuel economy anybody with a recent F-150 gets, for comparison to the published ratings.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #21

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
What are your thoughts on a new tow vehicle?

We either use our 2007 Jeep Wrangler as our TV for our 13' Scamp (when we go off-roading) and get only 10.5-11.5 mpg., or we use our 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins Diesel. Towing at 65mph we get 17.6, and at 55mph we get 22-23mpg. It is such a joy to pull long steep mountain grades without the truck ever needing to slow down or down shift Look to older well cared for TV from fellow RVers as we did ($10K 10yrs ago) to save a ton of money.
Happy Trails
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
DeadEyeDan tows a Casita with a new Ford w/Ecoboost. You need to be a member of the CasitaForum to view the thread: New Tow Rig, Yay! F150 Ecoboost Paul S. tows a 19' Escape, on the EscapeForum: Any experiences with 2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost???
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #23

Ontario
Thanks, Donna. I should have found that EscapeForum post myself, but obviously I missed it. I'll join the casita group to take a look there, too.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #24

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
DeadEyeDan tows a Casita with a new Ford w/Ecoboost. You need to be a member of the CasitaForum to view the thread: New Tow Rig, Yay! F150 Ecoboost
I went to the auto show to look at the Ford Flex with Ecoboost. Ford won't put a tow package on that configuration.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Going way back in this thread, I agree, it's a shame that the mid-size pickup is now extinct. Although I am big on Toyotas and Hondas, I bought a new 2003 GMC Sonoma (same as S-10) and, at almost 150,000 miles it's only service problem has been a a/c compressor failure at 130,000. Never uses a drop of oil and still gets 22MPG day in and out when not towing. I see it as the perfect size, to bad no one else that builds them agrees. I am guessing that the reason they are gone is because there is a lot more money to be made in selling a larger truck as well as having fewer product lines to support. . But I don't really need an F-150 behemoth to tow a Scamp or a Hunter.

As a result I am doing a nation wide search for another Sonoma, one with low mileage.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #26

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think another reason Ford buyers opt for the automatic over the manual is due to the fact that Ford engineers decided to put the slave cylinder in the bell housing. When the slave cylinder fails it results in having to replace what is sometimes an otherwise very good clutch. This happened to me on 3 different Fords. While the clutch kit is only a few hundred dollars it is alot more work than replacing a slave cylinder located on the side of your tranny or on the firewall.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #27

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not a guy... but I own a Ford F-150 and love it! It's my daily commuter and the fuel mileage for that stinks. Which is really different than towing. I don't understand how homeowners can get along without a truck. I haul everything from manure (in bags) to gravel, rocks, lumber, etc. that would totally mess up a van, sedan or SUV. I like hosing out the bed of the truck! I don't want a utility trailer or need to rent a truck either. Tow vehicles are like the molded trailer. It's what YOU want or need.
Well said! I'm in the middle of rebuilding my decks and have made (so far), two trips to the dump, and three to Lowes hauling 12' decking boards. My brother said that his neighborhood was upset because the only truck owner was moving away - (a truck owner always has friends). We don't have that problem here on the "Redneck Riviera" of NW Florida, on my block there are six houses in a row with trucks!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Out european friends, who we well know have the right idea about caravans and motorhomes (small and almost always molded fiberglass). Seldom, in fact almost never, do you see a pick-up truck. You can drive around most of europe and see only a few pick-ups a day, and they will usually have a business or a store name on them.

But they are very big on diesel passenger cars and own utility trailers for those trips to the recycle yard and/or the home improvement center, and that's not that bad an idea where most families have just 1 vehicle, not a whole fleet like many of us.....

But you would have to take out a 2nd or 3rd mortgage to fuel many of our TV's for a 3 week holiday trip around western europe.