What are your thoughts on a new tow vehicle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #21

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
What are your thoughts on a new tow vehicle?

We either use our 2007 Jeep Wrangler as our TV for our 13' Scamp (when we go off-roading) and get only 10.5-11.5 mpg., or we use our 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins Diesel. Towing at 65mph we get 17.6, and at 55mph we get 22-23mpg. It is such a joy to pull long steep mountain grades without the truck ever needing to slow down or down shift Look to older well cared for TV from fellow RVers as we did ($10K 10yrs ago) to save a ton of money.
Happy Trails
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
DeadEyeDan tows a Casita with a new Ford w/Ecoboost. You need to be a member of the CasitaForum to view the thread: New Tow Rig, Yay! F150 Ecoboost Paul S. tows a 19' Escape, on the EscapeForum: Any experiences with 2011 Ford F150 V6 Ecoboost???
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #23

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Thanks, Donna. I should have found that EscapeForum post myself, but obviously I missed it. I'll join the casita group to take a look there, too.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
DeadEyeDan tows a Casita with a new Ford w/Ecoboost. You need to be a member of the CasitaForum to view the thread: New Tow Rig, Yay! F150 Ecoboost
I went to the auto show to look at the Ford Flex with Ecoboost. Ford won't put a tow package on that configuration.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Going way back in this thread, I agree, it's a shame that the mid-size pickup is now extinct. Although I am big on Toyotas and Hondas, I bought a new 2003 GMC Sonoma (same as S-10) and, at almost 150,000 miles it's only service problem has been a a/c compressor failure at 130,000. Never uses a drop of oil and still gets 22MPG day in and out when not towing. I see it as the perfect size, to bad no one else that builds them agrees. I am guessing that the reason they are gone is because there is a lot more money to be made in selling a larger truck as well as having fewer product lines to support. . But I don't really need an F-150 behemoth to tow a Scamp or a Hunter.

As a result I am doing a nation wide search for another Sonoma, one with low mileage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #26

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think another reason Ford buyers opt for the automatic over the manual is due to the fact that Ford engineers decided to put the slave cylinder in the bell housing. When the slave cylinder fails it results in having to replace what is sometimes an otherwise very good clutch. This happened to me on 3 different Fords. While the clutch kit is only a few hundred dollars it is alot more work than replacing a slave cylinder located on the side of your tranny or on the firewall.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not a guy... but I own a Ford F-150 and love it! It's my daily commuter and the fuel mileage for that stinks. Which is really different than towing. I don't understand how homeowners can get along without a truck. I haul everything from manure (in bags) to gravel, rocks, lumber, etc. that would totally mess up a van, sedan or SUV. I like hosing out the bed of the truck! I don't want a utility trailer or need to rent a truck either. Tow vehicles are like the molded trailer. It's what YOU want or need.
Well said! I'm in the middle of rebuilding my decks and have made (so far), two trips to the dump, and three to Lowes hauling 12' decking boards. My brother said that his neighborhood was upset because the only truck owner was moving away - (a truck owner always has friends). We don't have that problem here on the "Redneck Riviera" of NW Florida, on my block there are six houses in a row with trucks!
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Out european friends, who we well know have the right idea about caravans and motorhomes (small and almost always molded fiberglass). Seldom, in fact almost never, do you see a pick-up truck. You can drive around most of europe and see only a few pick-ups a day, and they will usually have a business or a store name on them.

But they are very big on diesel passenger cars and own utility trailers for those trips to the recycle yard and/or the home improvement center, and that's not that bad an idea where most families have just 1 vehicle, not a whole fleet like many of us.....

But you would have to take out a 2nd or 3rd mortgage to fuel many of our TV's for a 3 week holiday trip around western europe.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Yes, there are work-arounds for those who can't afford, and/or don't enjoy driving a truck.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote