What can my Highlander pull? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Too make certain you're getting the weight at hitch height otherwise the fulcrum effect takes place and the reading you get may not be accurate to the actual hitch. If you tow a bit nose down, that will be a different reading than perfectly level.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Remember tail heavy trailers are prone to sway. 10 to 12% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue.

Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Sandy
We towed our Boler 1300 from Ontario to Alberta and back this past summer with a 2006 Highlander with the V6 option and an aftermarket hitch. It's a most capable tow vehicle for this trailer. During our month long adventure we never had any problem with either the tow or the tugg.

Here's a picture taken at a lunch stop alont the North Shore of Lake superior.
Attached Thumbnails
072 (1024x683).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I have a 2006 V6 Highlander Limited edition with towing package. Manual says the GVWR is 3500 pounds. I don't know how to determine what I can pull. I know it will need to be a light weight trailer, but how light? Do I go by the trailer dry weight; hitch or axle weight? I'm so confused and would appreciate advice from you seasoned campers! Please feel free to email me at sgregg@sbcglobal.net.

Sandy, Welcome! Glad you joined us. I have to ask, How many people will need to be sleeping in the trailer? Will it just be yourself and spouse, family, ? The amount of people camping with you will determine the type of trailer you will need to purchase. So I guess that is the best place to start, in order to help you find the type of trailer that would work for you as far as needs, wants, weights, etc. 3500 tow cap is reasonable as long as your not needing to purchase a large trailer for a large family. And a careful of what all you pack along. You most likely can find something that will work for you for many years.

FYI, Your personal information posted might not be the best idea. This forum is really pretty good, but you really shouldn't take a chance with your personal email. People can PM you if the feel the need to suggest things in private.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #19
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
I agree on the statement how can a 13' be a problem?
We can balance load while packing and if we add to tongue an item we add to that load.
Scale at tongue of trailer in ball position the trailer was less then expected maybe 8% of trailer weight. Will load more to front before our next trip want it to be 250 lbs.
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
I agree on the statement how can a 13' be a problem?

I don't think anyone said it was a problem. But what if a 13 doesn't meet Sandy's camping needs? That's why finding out what the camping needs are before suggesting usually works best.
So until Sandy responds with the camping/sleeping needs info, it's very hard for us to keep suggesting. (well maybe not so hard) but it would be more beneficial to Sandy if we have correct info to best meet the needs.

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote