What Could Possibly Go Wrong? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Bruce, When we had a cargo plat form on our Safari mini van, it dragged several times going in and out of gas stations. How did you avoid bending the tongue on the rear trailer?
Believe me I had those concerns. When I was designing this setup I knew I wanted to set the ball under the rear of the front trailer closer to the axles to reduce the "whip" that tow vehicle overhang gives a trailer. I also know that the shorter the tongue is in a trailer the more the severity of that whip is magnified. That is one reason I chose to lengthen the second trailer tongue the extent I did. I was not sure just how far under the front trailer I could put it before I would encounter the problem you mention so I did a lot of measuring and calculating. There is 22 inches of clearance under the rear bumper of the Bigfoot on a level road. I set the height of the 10' 3x3 tongue at 8 inches above the road and 11 inches below the bumper of the trailer. I checked these measurements, clearances and angles with the 10' tongue before I bolted it to the second trailer. There is an additional 4 1/2' of length from the front of the second trailer body to the axle making the total pivot length 14 1/2' You could raise the trailer wheels 53" off the (level) ground before the tongue would make contact with the under side of the bumper. I carefully approached and positioned the trailers in some uneven driveways near my home and checked the clearances before I started out. During my trip I avoided a few excessively steep or uneven driveways. I crossed the less steep and uneven ones at a diagonal angle. The tongue never made contact with the "tow trailer" or dragged the ground anytime during the entire 3550 mile trip. I do have to watch where I am going and I would not want the tongue any farther under the front trailer. Here is a picture of the trailer with the longer tongue hooked to my ATV at the Bonneville Salt Flats. I will take some better pictures and post them.
Attached Thumbnails

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Additional photos. I pulled this setup on a hunting trip this fall. The weight of the aluminum trailer is 360 lbs. The weight if the ATV is 850 lbs. I am not sure what the "tongue weight" is but it is not much. I pulled it 55 miles over curvy, hilly, secondary asphalt roads. The speed was between 35 and 60 mph. It pulled fine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3946.JPG   IMG_3951-001.JPG  

IMG_3844.JPG   IMG_3845.JPG  

Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
looks like you are moving!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
. And just so everyone knows I can back the rig.
This I'd have to see to believe...well, for more than a few feet straight back, anyway.

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote