What hitch for Tab or Scamp ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Looking for Scamp 13
Prescott Valley, AZ
What hitch for Tab or Scamp ?

I am finally ready to purchase and looking for pre-owned TAB or SCAMP 13. I may have to drive out of state, so thought I need to get the hitch now. I believe I need a 2 in/7pin. Is it possible to get a hitch that would work for either RV that I end up getting?
Diane LM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
A general answer you would probably be best to get a hitch installed that is rated for 3500 lbs.
Get your vehicle wired for a 7 pin connector that incudes brakes
Wiring has a standard the industry follows so if the trailer your purchase is 7 it should hook right up, if it is just 4 pin an adaptor can be purchased to connect it to the 7 pin on the vehicle
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hitches are based on the weight of the trailer being pulled. I think most would say, bigger is better.

What is your tug?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Actually it is your tow vehicle that determines the type and size hitch you can install. If your tow vehicle has a 3500# limit you can not install a 5000# hitch. Read your owners manual and it will tell you the limit. From there you can then get the proper hitch installed and then the correct trailer. You will need a 7 pin for the electric brakes. The size of the receiver is dependent upon the weight class of the hitch, 3500 or 5000 or other?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Looking for Scamp 13
Prescott Valley, AZ
I have a Subaru Outback and am looking for a Scamp 13. The Tab trailers seem more expensive than I am willing to pay. I am thinking I need a Class 2 hitch with a 7 pin connector, and may order a new one, since I am not finding any used ones at dealers, and there are so many scams I am weary of by private sellers. But I havent seen any Scamps from 2008 and up.
Diane LM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hitch Size???

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually it is your tow vehicle that determines the type and size hitch you can install. If your tow vehicle has a 3500# limit you can not install a 5000# hitch. Read your owners manual and it will tell you the limit.?
"

I don't think that's exactly correct. All of the hitch manufacturers often sell hitches that are designed to tow much higher loads than the vehicle to which they are attached, Even the GM factory hitch on my Blazer is rated to tow & is labeled for 6000 lbs , which is as much as 2700 lbs more than the vehicles to which they are attached.

I make mention of this because it's not unheard of for someone to mention the towing capacity of their vehicle based on the capacity of the hitch itself.

Just yesterday I saw that the hitch offered by DrawTite for a vehicle rated to tow only 1000 lbs was rated for 3500 lbs.

Again, and as mentioned, read the owners manual, the rating for the hitch DOES NOT increase the towing rating for the vehicle over the mfgs. limits.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
First, figure out what you have on both ends - I suspect you have a 2" receiver on the car, and a 2" ball is needed for the trailer's coupler.

The piece that you mount the ball on that connects to the receiver is called a draw-bar or a shank.

It does not matter if the parts are rated for 3500, 5000 or 6000 lbs. They will all fit the same. Mostly what you'll find in the stores are 5000 lbs. All that is important is that they are rated at the weight limits you are dealing with or higher.

If you have the smaller reciever on the car, it will be 1 1/4" square. All you'll need then is a draw-bar of that size. Generally, these max out at 3500#.

As for your wiring, 7 pin is the way to go, but that may not be what you have on either end. Many small cars and older trailers only have 4 pin wiring. So you may need some converters on hand to make it all fit up. But bear in mind, electric brakes only work on a 7 pin connector.

One last thing: It's very important that your trailer sits level when you are towing it. Draw bars come in a variety of types to make that happen - some have drops, and some have rise, and some come straight out. You will need to know how high off the pavement your trailer ball must be to have the trailer sit level under tow. In the case of my Oliver, it was 22" and needed a straight draw bar for the ball to be at that height. Most small trailers are 16", but they do vary. Plus or minus an inch is OK, but no more than that.

Good luck!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp