What is best brake contoller - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
I bought my Primus IQ used for $40 from a guy who replaced his tow vehicle with one with an integrated brake controller. Works perfectly.
In Canada you can get it at Costco for just over $100.

The Primus, P2 and P3 basically share the same internal design. The P2 and P3 have more detailed displays and diagnostic modes than the Primus but they all offer the same braking performance.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
Found a photo.

Sent from my K00C using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Maybe the photo is deceptive but it looks like the unit is not level from side to side as required.. see page four of the install instructions.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 AM   #17

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Its mostly an optical illusion from the way I was holding the camera. It is a couple degrees off level, but perfectly straight to the direction of travel. However it works perfectly, so i've never worried about it.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Its mostly an optical illusion from the way I was holding the camera...
I rather suspected that was the case but wanted to mention the mounting requirements for the new folks since the photo is misleading. Some of these vehicles can present a challenge when mounting brake controllers (or GPS units, etc.) what with all the air bags and all.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #19

Name: RV
Trailer: Casita SD17
Florida
I use a Tekonsha Primus IQ with the vehicle specific wiring harness on a Frontier. Took me 5 minutes to install and two weeks to find the best location for it (under the dash above the center console). It is a proportional braking system, which was the feature I most desired. The Tekonsha Primus IQ may not be "the best", but it meets my requirements.

Here is a comparison of the major differences between a P2 and IQ to see if you need to pay up for "the best" or whether you can save some money with an IQ.

1) The displays are different. The IQ tells me its connected, the boost level, and the braking level in a bright red color. I'm satisfied with the IQ display.

2) P2 features a rotary lever for the manual braking feature, while the IQ uses an older style slide lever. Call me old fashioned, but I've always used slide levers.

3) The P2 has a 360 degree mounting range the IQ can only be mounted in a range 70 degrees up from level. I mounted my IQ nearly level, so 70 degrees was more than adequate. If you need to go past 70 degrees, then you will need to pay up for the best.

4) P2 brake controllers can be used with electric over hydraulic trailer brake systems, but a IQ cannot. I've never needed to use electric over hydraulic and my Casita definitely does not require this feature. If you need this feature, you must pay more for a P2.

5) The P2 also features a more advanced self-diagnosing system than the IQ that checks continuously for problems. Here again, the only interaction I have with the unit is the display, which tells me its connected and functioning.

7) A P2 controller will work with trailers that have brakes on 1 to 4 axles, but an IQ will only work with brakes on 1 to 3 axles. My Casita has only 1 axle. If you need four axles, you must pay more for a P2.

So if you need to mount the controller past a 70 degree angle, need electric over hydraulic brakes or need four axle braking, you must pay the additional cost for "the best" over an IQ. The IQ is more than adequate for my needs, is plug and play, and uses the same proportional braking system as the others. So I saved a few bucks and bought an IQ which works perfectly with my Casita.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #20

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Found a photo.

The only restriction on the mounting of the controller is that it must be level from side to side.
While this fits in the hole, it does not look like it is level from side to side.
It should also be aligned with the fore/aft axis of the TV.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #21

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The only restriction on the mounting of the controller is that it must be level from side to side.
While this fits in the hole, it does not look like it is level from side to side.
It should also be aligned with the fore/aft axis of the TV.
I thought we just covered that subject in posts # 16 and 17.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #22

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
If you look around you can pick up a new P3 for about the same price as the others. I paid less than $100 for mine. Works great!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #23

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Change holder

I mounted mine in the change holder. It's a cheap Reese but works.

Hooking up was hard because I couldn't contort my body to see the plug and connect it with one hand.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1001.jpg  
Old 08-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #24

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Tacoma World

Alan,
Here is a link to controller installation specific to Tacoma on Tacoma World. Mine is a 2015 too.

K

http://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/t...31/#post-35022