What kind of hitch for Jeep Liberty - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Unhappy

I traded in my pickup truck for a 2006 Jeep Liberty which doesn't have a hitch. What brand hitch would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Go to ETrailer and pick one out. You didn't mention what kind of trailer you will be pulling, but I would go with any of the 2" hitches because there are just more hitch accessories made in 2" as compared to the 1 1/4", although the 1 1/4" is about 22 lbs lighter if weight is a concern.

Strange that the most expensive sez the tow hooks can't be remounted; you might want to download each of their instruction PDFs and see if the others mention it.

I like the looks of the Valley offering. It would be nice if a Liberty owner would post some pics.

You can do it yourself, as they all say "No drilling required" or you can order the hitch and get or hire someone to do it -- Not rocket science.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
http://www.trailerhitches.com/ is a good site for hitches yo can install yourself. I bought a hitch for my PT Cruiser there but I could not get it to work. They were very helpful on the phone and took it back with no hassle.

BTW, I went to a local rental/hitch shop and had one installed for just a little more money and I didn;t have to crawl under the car again. They would have done the wiring too, except that the purpose was for a bike rack and I did not need that done.

Either alternative can assure you that you get the right hitch for your trailer.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Hi!

We have an 06 Jeep Liberty (Red) and had been towing our 16' Uhaul with it. We had a local trailer dealer put the hitch on. He installed the receiver and gave us an extended hitch - because the rear tire on these Jeeps sticks out, a regular hitch didn't allow enough room between the trailer and the spare tire. The people we bought our trailer from also had a Jeep Liberty (Renegade) and had to modify their spare tire in a way as to allow clearance.

I'd let a trailer place install your hitch...(IMHO)

We've now purchased a new tow vehicle and will use the smaller hitch in the receiver of the new vehicle.

Good luck!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We had our Jeep Liberty hitch put on at U-haul. Went with a class III tubular hitch. They did the wiring and everything for about $140. We use an extender as well to clear the spare tire and have a spare tire bike rack. It was a real pain hitching until we added the extender and now it's a breeze.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #6

Just be aware that an extender works against you for sway (Increases overhang where you want to shorten overhang) and makes backing more difficult (Tends to amplify steering wheel input).
Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Just be aware that an extender works against you for sway (Increases overhang where you want to shorten overhang) and makes backing more difficult (Tends to amplify steering wheel input).
The extender didn't change any of the towing characteristics for us with the 13, but Pete's right it may effect the towing with a larger trailer. Always something to keep in mind.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Thanks so much for your replies. I did forget to say that the hitch is for a 13 ft. Uhaul. I think that I will will go with Uhaul for the hitch 'cause I'm just not that handy with a DIY installation. I didn't know if there were dofferences between the class III Hidden hitch, Uhaul, Reese, etc.
Patty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #9

Greg, I found that shortening the overhang of my old truck by 4" made a noticeable difference in backing my 13' -- The short trailers are where it counts because they are so hard to back in the first place!
Old 03-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mine is extended as well, not much of a choice with a Libby.. the spare is in a very inconvenient spot for towing.

I DID shorten the length (My welder added another hole in an extra long draw bar for the extension length) when I recently towed a small uhual cargo trailer. it made a huge different in sway. The uhaul has a long single bar tongue and it fishtailed everywhere when towing it a shortway home while empty. Shortening the drawbar did the trick, as well as the weight from loading.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote