What kind of tires? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2003, 03:44 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Using Scissor-Type Jacks on the Axle

Before using the axle to jack up your trailer, please read your owner's manual and/or the axle manufacturer's website data. Casita, for instance, warns specifically against using the axle the jack up the trailer. Dexter axle only warns against using any part of the suspension system for jacking the trailer, but they do say to follow the trailer manufacturer's instructions for jacking the trailer up.

For some things however, I fully subscribe to the philosophy "It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Translation: I think Paul's advice for backup keys are right on the mark. Especially if you have the new keyfob that remotely locks the vehicle and activates an alarm. I have seen those fobs damaged to the point (or the battery goes bad) where they will not work anymore and, even though you can unlock the vehicle with the key, it is embarrassing to have your alarm blaring in the middle of an occupied campground.

Old 06-04-2003, 01:39 PM   #30

Extra Keys

Paul,

While I wholeheartedly agree with your extra key mantra, and for many years did just those things, there is a new twist with many newer vehicles.

Many cars now are fitted with keys that have some sort of electronic ID device that won't allow the ignition to be used without the "special" key. Unfortunately, these keys are quite expensive. For my Wife's VW Passat (the 4 cylinder version) an extra ignition key is about $90. Same for my new F150 (About $60) as well as my 97 Aurora, again about $60.

I worry less about the key fobs as the doors will open with the keys.

I would like to hide an extra key on the vehicle, but have some problems with risking such an expensive item.

Thoughts from the group?

Dave

Old 06-05-2003, 01:24 PM   #31

If the door will open without requiring the "chip" in the key, just have a standard key made that opens the door, and keep the high-dollar key for the ignition hidden inside the car. There are advantages to these new smart keys, but there are also huge disadvantages. When GM first came out with the VATS system, the initial public response was great - until people tried to get new keys made and discovered what they cost.

By the way, I yet another of my previous lives, I was a hardware store manager. This was at the time that the GM VATS system was introduced. You don't have to go to the dealer and pay $60 for these keys. Any well-equipped hardware store can make them. I bought the VATS system for about $150 at the store, which equipped me to make those keys for customers. The key blanks, by the way, cost $12 at that time, less now. I sold them for $34.95, which was, frankly, an inexcusable mark-up, even considering I had to pay off the $150 initial investment. But, $60 and up is just plain sinful.

That said, they risks to convenience and SAFETY that come from getting locked out, losing your keys, or having them stolen is too great to not have duplicate keys accessible. If they cost $60 or $100, that's just the price you pay for having a fancy-schmancy security system on your car. I don't mean that to be snide, but the reality is that initial purchase isn't the only cost of these options. There is ongoing cost as well.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #32

Lock out

Quote:
Orginally posted by PineConeDon

I can't imagine needing roadside service with a little egg trailer. But whatever makes ya comfortable. I figure if ya run out of gas or lock yurself out, well DUH, mabe it's time to stay home?! *
Don

The 13 and 16 foot casitas use a dead bolt to lock the door from the inside. After some use the deadbolt will get very loose. A very rough road or slamming the door will sometimes cause the deadbolt to engage.

We really enjoy our Casita but I guess we will have to get rid of it now DUH. I guess its time to stay home.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Orginally posted by Nick

* * * * * * <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by PineConeDon
* * * * * *I can't imagine needing roadside service with a little egg trailer. But whatever makes ya comfortable. I figure if ya run out of gas or lock yurself out, well DUH, mabe it's time to stay home?! *
We really enjoy our Casita but I guess we will have to get rid of it now DUH. I guess its time to stay home.
[/quote]Yous guys :crazy-ii

if your with your fiberglass wonder, you ARE home. :)
Old 06-05-2003, 08:32 PM   #34

lock out

Hi Nick:

Mabe I said it wrong, didn't mean to sound nasty. What I meant was:

Why 'pay' for roadside service. Mabe I'm cheap?!

What're they gonna do for ya that ya can't do yourself with a bit of care and planning. Hide a spare key, fill the cars gas tank when I empty mine. :)

I've got a 16' Casita with a deadbolt, if it happens to rattle to a locked position, all ya do is unscrew 4 bolts on the door hinge. Is the wrecker driver gonna know to do this?

Happy Campin..:wave
Old 06-05-2003, 10:33 PM   #35

lock out

Don;

You cant be any cheaper than me. Roadside service means fixing it myself along side the highway.

I do know what you were saying.

Just make sure you have a wrench hidden too.:)

Tires Michelin XCA 205/75R 14 8 ply rating

3660 lbs capacity at 50 psi
4560 lbs capacity at 65 psi

Tags
tires