What "Small Car" can really tow a Scamp? - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #99

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
With Humor,

I looked up the 1974 VW Beetle, 57HP and 2000 pounds. Makes my CRV look like a muscle car or even a F150. (LOL)

Norm

Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #100

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
In post #5, I suggested that she ask Scamp. The claim was that a small car could tow all 3 sizes of Scamps. The large size Scamp is a 5th wheel and no small car can tow a 5th wheel.
OOPS!
Sorry, Andy.
I missed mentioning your first post in the Those-Who-Addressed-The-O.P.'s-Question count.
Certainly good advice, and RELEVANT, too!
We're up to four now.
One more and we'll hit 5%!

Francesca

Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #101

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
OOPS!
Sorry, Andy.
I missed mentioning your first post in the Those-Who-Addressed-The-O.P.'s-Question count.
Certainly good advice, and RELEVANT, too!
We're up to four now.
One more and we'll hit 5%!

Francesca
Since you are counting and calculating percentages... in addition to post#5, I also addressed towing scamps with a small car in posts #39, 46, 63 and 68. That should boost the percentage a bit.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #102

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodguy View Post
This thread raises an important question to me. Does my auto insurance look for loopholes if I were to get in an accident while towing?

Loopholes like all manner of technicalities about axle weights and tongue weights and cargo weights and what not? Even if I PRESUMED I was doing the right thing, is this an area where insurers balk after the fact? I would imagine that insurers seek every conceivable means not to pay out money.

I'll have to ask my insurance man. Has anyone here been denied a claim based on something like "improper towing?"
There might be a loophole in your policy for gross negligence, which is different than simple negligence. Most policies have exclusions for intentional acts, but that's not likely here unless you intentionally ran into someone that turned in front of you, etc. The biggest problem might be if you were in an accident and it was determined that your actions contributed to the accident, even though it was someone else's primary fault. Depending on the state and comparative negligence laws in that state, you might not be able to claim anything from the other company. Best to consult your insurance agent and not give them any loopholes to find.

My Subaru Outback is small compared to most SUVs, and it's capable of pulling a Scamp 16 based on the owners manual as long as that Scamp falls within the weight limitations and is equipped with brakes, which mine is. So yes, I would say that some Scamps can be pulled by some small cars, although cars are getting smaller than when they originally posted that claim, and some are losing their towing recommendations from the factory.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #103

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Lost in all the commentary of 'in Europe they do THIS, and in the US we do THAT" there is one thing missing: Just because a VW Golf can do "this" in Europe does NOT mean that it can do the same thing west of the Atlantic- THEY ARE NOT the same car!!!!

They have different suspensions and different bumpers and some chassis differences, too!

Even between Canada and the US there are substantial differences. As an example, every car that comes out of Japan to N America is put on the boat as US Spec. However, to be allowed entry into Canada, it requires different bumpers which are installed at port of entry. Doors are different, as a seatbelts. Canada has a 5 mph bumper standard the US has 2.5. Canada requires much heavier "anti-intrusion" door safety beams than the US does. Lighting standards are different. Seatbelt stress tests are more stringent in Canada and the belt attachment points are much heavier in Canada.

European cars generally have far stiffer suspensions. Cars built to euro-spec are not popular in the US - they ride too stiff and harsh (not "pillowy" enough)

Various makers have spent huge amounts of cash to make cars "saleable" in the US by changing to softer suspensions, putting in lighter bumpers and lighter shocks, all of which impacts greatly on how well a euro-spec car would tow something vs how well its US counterpart could do it.

The cars from many makers sold on this side of the pond would be a US spec version that would be illegal for sale in the Euro zone (and often in Canada they would also be denied entry)

Of course the euro spec one can do things differently - its a different car! - looks the same, but it is NOT the same car!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #104

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
But I assume my manual refers to what my VW Golf can tow in Canada, since that is where I bought it, not Europe. Again, 3086 lbs (braked) in Canada. I disregard any reference to European standards in this discussion and follow my Canadian manual...
Old 07-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #105

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There is definitely some difference between cars.

I noticed that there is a difference between the Canadian Honda CRV and the American Honda. The Canadian Honda weighs 8 pounds more than the American version and costs $5000 more, I assume mostly taxes. Certainly the drive trains are identical.

I do note that most European cars seem to have better transmissions, 6 speed instead of 5, and more engine options including a diesel pushing a Honda CRV's towing capacity to 4400 pounds.

Interestingly the UK engine in the CRV is 20% smaller and the tow rating for the gas engine is 3420 pounds on a trailer with brakes with a tongue wait of 220 pounds. The UK version is rated to tow 3 Times the US version with a smaller engine.

The UK diesel version with a six speed transmission is rated for 4400 pounds.

Of course it's all a maze to me.

I've wanted one of those Honda CRV diesels for years.

Norm
Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #106

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
We all seem to agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Do I see a thread lock in 3...2....1....
Zero!
I agree with locking this thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
scamp