What to buy for city driving and occasional towing. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Hehe Joe Spitz is actually a Subaru salesman and I bought my last car from him. Was a nice guy and a great help to me in getting my car cleared back to Canada but agree his info may not be totally up to date.

Bridget if you are going to stay with Subaru I would suggest you take a good look at the Forester or Outback. My Outback spends a better part of its life driving in a city.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #16

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Most cars can pull the 13' at that weight. You only need a class I hitch 200 / 2000. With trailer weight of 1500 lbs. plus gear maybe 2000 lbs. you are still in line.
mcbrew is right other areas give different rating on towing in fact I have pulled in the past a trailer that loaded weighed 1500 lbs. with our old Echo sedan; although I would not recommended it, I do admit it did work fine. They make a class I hitch for it.
A transmission cooler and trailer brakes are always a good idea. Mr transmission sells a progressive transmission cooler unit that is quite nice. It is important to control heat but not over cool a trans-axle.
Happy camping

Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
I'm in the same spot. I currently tow my Lite•House with a 4cyl 2.4 L Tacoma. My truck is 10 yrs old and has almost 170K on the odo. Like the OP, I do a whole lot more commuting and city driving than towing.

My camper is small, even by the standards of this forum. The original ad for the Lite•House lists a dry weight under 1000#. The trailer has no brakes.

I've thought about another Tacoma, but would really like something a bit more comfortable. So far, I've considered the Outback but Subaru says trailer brakes are required. Now I'm vacillating between a Venza and a Highlander. I want to stay with a 4cyl because I'm not interested in making Texas oilmen any richer.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thoughts or sage advice.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
I'm in the same spot. I currently tow my Lite•House with a 4cyl 2.4 L Tacoma. My truck is 10 yrs old and has almost 170K on the odo. Like the OP, I do a whole lot more commuting and city driving than towing.

My camper is small, even by the standards of this forum. The original ad for the Lite•House lists a dry weight under 1000#. The trailer has no brakes.

I've thought about another Tacoma, but would really like something a bit more comfortable. So far, I've considered the Outback but Subaru says trailer brakes are required. Now I'm vacillating between a Venza and a Highlander. I want to stay with a 4cyl because I'm not interested in making Texas oilmen any richer.

I'm a Subie fan (we have two Outbacks - one with ~300k miles!)...
I'd buy an Outback and add brakes to my trailer...
Then again, I had brakes on the teardrop I just to have. I don't think many newer cars have much extra braking capacity.

The other cars you mention are probably nice too
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #19

Name: Laura & Rick
Trailer: Had an Escape 21 ft
Washington
Quote:

FWIW,my (bias) vote is for the Highlander - nice vehicle!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #20

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
So far, I've considered the Outback but Subaru says trailer brakes are required. Now I'm vacillating between a Venza and a Highlander. I want to stay with a 4cyl because I'm not interested in making Texas oilmen any richer.

I have a Subaru Outback and love it, but I agree, without brakes you're limited to 1,000 lbs on the Subaru.
Another vehicle we had in the past that was an excellent stable towing platform was the Ford Escape with a 4 cyl and manual transmission. I believe they're rated at 1,500 but not sure with the latest models.

John
Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Ford Escape is rated at 1500 lbs. There are several in this group that tow with the 4 cylinder version. I just got an 6cyl Escape, because I wanted the little extra 'umph' that the larger engine has. I'm getting 24mpg (50/50 mix of hwy/city). I haven't towed yet, so I don't know what my mileage is with a trailer behind me.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #22

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Our 4 cyl Corolla is in the same class as a Ford Escape but has a full tow package. Love the milage pulling and around town.

We have a customized car from dealer with full tow package ordered at time of purchase.
-progressive transaxle cooler
-hitch
-Proportional braking system and 7 pin wiring harness from dealer

Now for car upgrades:
-B&M 10226 Stage 1 RV heavy duty Shift improver Kit
-Custom made Class III receiver with equalizer weight distribution hitch

Towing is about: hp / gearing, suspension / hitch style, cooling systems, and braking

Our 17' needed tow package and hitch upgrade to work but as said love the mileage
Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Got the car - now need to get hitch - How to wire?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did finally buy a volvo C30, small car but rated to tow my Uhaul -CT 13.

I have to get a hitch installed now. I do not have trailer brakes at present but plan to add them later this year or next. Right now trailer is wired for lights with a 4pin.
Any advice on how I should set up the wiring from car to trailer based on not having brakes now but planning to add them?

Thanks,
Bridget
Old 06-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #24

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget T View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did finally by a volvo C30, small car but rated to tow my Uhaul -CT 13.

I have to get a hitch installed now. I do not have trailer brakes at present but plan to add them later this year or next. Right now trailer is wired for lights with a 4pin.
Any advice on how I should set up the wiring from car to trailer based on not having brakes now but planning to add them?

Thanks,
Bridget
Here are a couple of links about connectors. A good choice would be a combination 7 pin/4pole connector on your Volvo, since that would handle your current and future needs.

Trailer wiring FAQ

Example of combined 7 pole/4 pole connector.

You can add wiring in stages later as you want, such as adding the 12V power to the trailer, the electric brakes, and trailer backup lights if needed.

Good luck!

John
Old 06-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #25

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget T View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did finally by a volvo C30, small car but rated to tow my Uhaul -CT 13.

Thanks,
Bridget
Congratulations on the new ride!! The C30 is a great car. But then I am Volvo biased!

Have you seen the K-PAX edition? I think they are going to make separately available upgrades for the car.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If you have your car wired with a 7 pin connector, and buy a relatively common (at trailer supply/repair places anyway) 7-to-4 adapter, your trailer will plug into that. When you get brakes added to your trailer, they will need to change the plug to a 7 (the 4 doesn't have a brake wire) and you can just stop using the adapter.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I have towed with a Honda CRV for four years. We've towed a 15.5 Sunlina, A Casita 16 and a Scamp 16, all had bathrooms. We averaged 20 mpg with the Sunline and 23 mpg with the other two. We have crisscrossed the entire country, traveling for 7 months a year. Not a single issue.

Norm
Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Borden

What is a "B&M 10226 Stage 1 RV heavy duty Shift improver Kit"?

Norm