What to do with table when driving (13-ft Boler) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Name: Alexandre
Trailer: Boler 1300 1976
Quebec
Registry
What to do with table when driving (13-ft Boler)

Hello,

I am currently at a dilemma and I was hoping you guys (and girls!) could advise me with your experience. When towing my Boler 13-ft trailer, should I leave the table as a table, or should I leave it as a bed? The problem is that when it's attached to the frame as a table, I am scared that bumps and other movements will eventually weaken the table support. I already find it a bit weak (it moves a bit). But if I detach the table and place it as a bed, it isn't very much restricted and could easily slide off.

What do you do?

Thanks!

Alexandre
skryabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #2

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hello,
I have travelled with the table up, and down. I find that travelling with it down works best for us.
I make up the bed, throw an old sheet over it (to keep it clean) and then pile up anything large that needs to go in the trailer, and isn't too heavy, on top, such as folding chairs and guitar. The reason I keep the stuff light, is because the trailer tows better with the weight in the front.
We also don't use the table much, so I like to have the bed made up, especially when travelling late, so we can just go to sleep whenever we get to our destination.
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Bonjour Alexandre
I'd put the table down. Like you, I think that the strain on the supports will weaken them. Also, that way you can't forget and leave something on the table that's going to roll around. Ditto to what Marjie says about storage and convenience.
Phil
Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I take my tabletop off, and 'stand' it sideways between the benches. I then can put my folding chair, some folding side tables, all standing up, and then fill in with my awning bag and a cooler. I put my rugs between everything to keep scratches from happening. They travel great, and it keeps the main floor area clear for moving around while I pack for a trip.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We travel with it up. We've previously had 28 year old trailers that always had the table up and never seemed to have an issue.

We presently travel in our 20 year old Scamp with the table up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #6

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I tow with the table down because that's what the wife wants.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
we tow with the table left down as our bed and our small dinette table also down, but for this, it is actually down completely---it was made to fold right down flat against the wall. between the seats, in front of the table, i place 2 folding tables, our rug, 2 beach chairs and our clothesline...all secured by a strap that encompasses these items and the table--nothing moves. it leaves the main floor area free and clear and when we arrive at our destination, it is simple to set up the dinette table once the other items have been removed for their own setup.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
13 yr. old Burro has front dinette with monopod leg. Made new laminated top; added right angle mending plates each corner to front wall. Has not vibrated loose yet. We don't convert in front; don't convert in the captain's cabin aft; bed is always bed; dinette is always dinette as also has swiveling seats bolted atop the lockers and a silverware drawer beneath table. And the solar panel slides onto ledgers attached under the bed filler piece/table so it's all fixed for us but also pretty easily put back to cattlecar status should a future owner desire.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
We have the hinge type table and always put it down. That was what Scamp recommended.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler