What to pull a scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #1

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Georgia
What to pull a scamp 5th wheel

What truck is needed to pull a scamp 5th wheel. Do we need the smaller truck. If we get a full size do we need modifications
the3carrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The Ranger is coming back in only a few months, it will prove worth the wait!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
With a smaller pickup, once you add the hitch, you'll be ready to go. With a full size truck, you may have to do some modification (i.e., getting the 3" lift on the Scamp), depending upon how high the rail beds are in the truck. I believe there are measurements on the Scamp website, or you can certainly give them a call for assistance.
Peter S. in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Georgia
what is the smaller ones that we could get. Looking at a 4 door an older used one. What are some of the smaller trucks that work well with the fifth wheel scamp?
the3carrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
From my experience, any truck will pull a 19’ Scamp. I would; however, avoid one with a 4 cylinder engine. My Nissan Frontier, with V-6 was just about perfect.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Remember that many used Scamp 19's, especially newer units, already have the 3" lift. And if you're ordering new, you can match it to your truck. So as long as you understand the need for a match between the Scamp suspension and the truck bed rail height, modifications shouldn't be needed.

I agree with the previous post that almost any truck will work. With the smaller ones you'll want a V6, not the base I4 (new Ranger turbo-4 excepted). Scamp 19's aren't particularly heavy, but you are pushing a lot of air.

Do check tow and payload ratings of whatever truck seems good to you. Use the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread in the General Chat section to get a sense of total weight and hitch weight of a fully loaded Scamp 19 (deluxe models are heavier than the standards). Payload, which includes the fifth wheel hitch and hitch load of the trailer, as well as all passengers and cargo in the truck, is often the limiting factor.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I use to pull the one I had with a four door Chevrolet Colorado 4x4, 5 cylinder. Did an amazing job.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
Scamp 5th wheel towing

I pull mine with a 1996 Ford Ranger, 3.0 V6, auto. Does a great job except with a strong head wind or long steep grade, that will slow it down.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #9

Name: Larry and Pat
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp 19

I pull ours with a 2013 Quad Cab Dodge Ram six cylinder (306 hp), 3.21 axle ratio....summer of 16 to Alaska and back...17 MPG for 13,453 miles, computed both the traditional way, and by the truck computer. This link is an excellent site explaining the complexities of matching truck and trailer. Understanding GVWR & Payload - Keep Your Daydream

Watch out for Scamp weights, they usually are reporting lighter than they really are, with the Deluxe version heavier. Check carefully the truck specs, looking at engine, transmission and differential ratio...I always had plenty of power, but I was running close to the GCWR and watched my instruments carefully.

Larry
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My combo (see at left) has been working out very well, the 2013 truck has 112k miles, and towed the Scamp over 50k miles. The towing package is a necessary option in my opinion, mainly for the extra AT fluid cooler. Yes, Scamp 5th wheel pushes a lot of air, so in severe headwinds the mileage goes down to 13 - 14 mpg, otherwise about 16 - 17. Without the Scamp it is up to 20 - 21. And pulling it over the Rocky Mountains, I take it easy and sometimes stay in the truck lane on I70. No hurry here.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3carrs View Post
what is the smaller ones that we could get. Looking at a 4 door an older used one. What are some of the smaller trucks that work well with the fifth wheel scamp?
note that crew cab (4 door) pickups often have less payload than the extended or regular cab equivalents... for instance, for my 2008 Tacoma 4x4, my extended cab version has a 6'1" bed and 1200 lbs payload, while the double cab version only had a 1000 lb payload (this changes year by year, my numbers are specific to 2008 as thats what I have). that payload includes drivers and passengers... so if you're 5th wheel is putting 500 lbs on the bed, you only have 500 lbs left over with the crewcab for passengers + luggage. my wife and I come pretty close to 500 lbs nowdays

also note that many trucks, the 4x4 version have better tow specifications than the 2x4 versions.

specific to the Tacoma, the truck bed is fiberglass... I do believe if I was putting a '5th wheel' hitch on that, I would want it bolted to the FRAME under the bed...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #12

Name: Donald
Trailer: Bigfoot 5th wheel
Colorado
Honda Ridgeline

For the last 10 years, I have been towing a 4,000 lb (loaded weight) Bigfoot 5th wheel (20' in length) with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. We live in Colorado and climb mountains all the time. This truck has the 3.5L V6. I had to modify the hitch by welding its base to 2 steel crossbars bolted to the frame (suspended 1/2" above the truck bed). Each year I flush the radiator, replace the thermostat and change the differential fluid as preventive measures. I also have the brakes checked regularly on both the Ridgeline and Bigfoot.

The big bonus is that when not towing, the Ridgeline has a car-like ride because of its suspension - a unique feature in the truck world.

My Ridgeline has 170,000 miles so I have thoroughly tested alternatives to the Ridgeline. Relative to the Ridgeline, the GM Colorado/Canyon have a terrible ride when not towing. Same with the Ford 150, RAM 1500, Nissan and Toyota vehicles. None of these vehicles get better mileage than the 2018 Rigeline, except the diesel Canyon. But. I don't like the high diesel fuel prices and the constant need to put in an additive.

As for the new Ford Ranger, no towing specs yet. But, it will only offer a 4 cylinder engine. So, I would stay away from that one.

Bottom line, I am going to replace my 07 Ridgeline with a new model. You should at least test drive this vehicle. If you like, I can provide more information about the hitch modifications.
donniebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The only time you will need to mod the hitch is if you are buying used and the current owner is pulling with the original Scamp hitch, which has no height adjustment.
addean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #14

Name: Donald
Trailer: Bigfoot 5th wheel
Colorado
Sorry addean. You apparently haven't dealt with a Ridgeline. It has a composite bed and you can't bolt the hitch directly to the bed. Plus, my post didn't even refer to a Scamp hitch. I have a Bigfoot which uses a normal 5th wheel hitch.
donniebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My error

Sorry donniebob I did not intend to post my replay on your post. I intended it for the original post on 5th wheel tow. I will double check where future post are going.
addean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp