what to tow a Snoozy or Eggcamper with? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
what to tow a Snoozy or Eggcamper with?

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading this forum for awhile and trying to research which trailer to get. The towing thing is complicated so I thought I'd just ask. We would need to buy a vehicle too (the cars we now own are too small to tow anything). We do know we want to have one of the smaller trailers since we don't want to drive a big truck or SUV. But my husband is tall at 6'3", and there being 2 of us we think the 13' trailers might be too small. We'd really like a Suburu Outback, which is rating at 3000 lbs towing, or a Volvo, rated at 3300. Is it possible to pull an Eggcamper or Lil Snoozy with these? Both are around 2000 lbs dry weight. I know some people on the forum pull 13' trailers with these cars. But not any larger trailers than that, I don't think. Or would we need a car rated at 3500 lbs? The Toyota Venza looks OK, is rather car-like and is rated at 3500.
Thanks for any help.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Towing

When looking at a car, ask to see the owner's manual. If it says it will tow the expected weight of the trailer you want, it should be okay. More than likely it will require electric brakes, etc.

There have been several threads on towing and weight, etc in this blog.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Just curious... What cars do you currently drive?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face Don't make a big mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
Or would we need a car rated at 3500 lbs? The Toyota Venza looks OK, is rather car-like and is rated at 3500.
My $0.02

I would go for the design you like that gives you the highest towing capacity. The other choices could possible do the job, but their margin of safety is thin for anything bigger that a 13' trailer. I speak from experience, because experience is what you are left with when you make big mistakes. Fortunately the only damage my mistakes made were to my wallet.

I think the Lil' Snoozy and the Toyota Venza would make a stylish combination.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Lisa,
I've towed our EggCamper with a 2002 Toyota Sienna, a 2010 Toyota 4Runner, and now with a 2011 Toyota Sienna. Although the EggCamper has a dry weight of 2K, I wouldn't tow with less than 3500# capacity in the tug.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can add weight with things that you pack for a trip.

The 4Runner towing capacity is 5000# with a 4.0L, V6. Both Siennas have a 3500# tow capacity. The 2002 had a 3.0L V6 and the 2011 has a 3.5L V6. All three towed the EggCamper well, however the minivans provided more space and better access to cargo than the SUV. Also, our aging dog had great difficulty getting in and out of the SUV. I also feel that the longer wheel base in the Sienna helped with handling.

Also, we love our EggCamper. It's very spacious for a lightweight camper.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I just went thru this issue recently. I loved the Subaru Outback but the tonge weight capacity of all Subaru's is only 200 lbs. The Toyota's were hard to find with factory tow package, something you want with aux trans cooling and the hitch with wiring already installed. All the vehicles were in the low $20's.
Finally I found a small suv, 4 wheel drive with 500# tongue weight and 5000 lbs capacity with factory tow, a Jeep Liberty which can be had in the low $20's. This will easily tow your Egg or Scamp, it does mine. I get 15 mpg towing.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just went thru this issue recently. I loved the Subaru Outback but the tonge weight capacity of all Subaru's is only 200 lbs. The Toyota's were hard to find with factory tow package, something you want with aux trans cooling and the hitch with wiring already installed. All the vehicles were in the low $20's.
Finally I found a small suv, 4 wheel drive with 500# tongue weight and 5000 lbs capacity with factory tow, a Jeep Liberty which can be had in the low $20's. This will easily tow your Egg or Scamp, it does mine. I get 15 mpg towing.

Hi, Jim

Sorry if I've mixed you up with someone else , but...
I thought you've been towing a 16' Scamp with a 4-cyl. Honda CRV???

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
A truck,that's all you need to know.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Hi, Jim

Sorry if I've mixed you up with someone else , but...
I thought you've been towing a 16' Scamp with a 4-cyl. Honda CRV???

Francesca
I'm the one towing a Scamp 16 with a 4 cylinder 2004 Honda CRV getting 23 mpg.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I'm the one towing a Scamp 16 with a 4 cylinder 2004 Honda CRV getting 23 mpg.

Norm
Thanks, Norm...
I guess the numbers in your guys' avatars mixed me up...

Sorry about the brain freeze, Jim

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
thank you

Thanks everyone for all your kind replies. Jesse, we are currently driving an Accord and a Corolla, probably both rated for 1000 lbs. (but towing not recommended). We got the egg TT bug a couple years after buying those. We knew we wanted to downsize in retirement, and were thinking about the Tumbleweed Tiny House idea for awhile, til we realized we wanted to travel a bit and knew a trailer would be a better idea. We are drawn to the eggs because of how leak-resistant they are compared to regular trailers.
I guess my Suburu fantasies need to stop (unless we can squeeze hubby into a Trillium, which probably won't happen. We live in CA, so should go look just in case). The Snoozy is top of our list now, so I'll take a look at the Venza and see what I think. I do want to tow safely.
I know Consumer Reports didn't recommend a lot of the Toyotas this year because of all the recalls. I'll try to sneak my boss's copy at work tomorrow and see what it says about the Venza. The Rav4 is sort of OK looking, but looks more like an SUV than the Venza.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Toyotas are nevertheless very solidly made IMO. I haven't needed anything but fluids and filters, and my '08 Highlander is at 85,000 miles.

It's all too easy to load up a trailer and raise the tongue weight beyond what was expected. I'm happy to have a 5000 tow/500 tongue wt limit on my hitch. Despite the heavier suspension, the Highlander rides very carlike.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #13

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J
Thanks everyone for all your kind replies. Jesse, we are currently driving an Accord and a Corolla, probably both rated for 1000 lbs. (but towing not recommended).
I would consider either of those to be good tow vehicles for a 13' Scamp. My car, a Scion xD, is basically a smaller version of the Corolla. It has the same 1.8 liter engine, and is rated by the manufacturer (Toyota) to to PA 1,600 pounds. Our scamp, even loaded for camping, weighs less than that. It tows beautifully and gets about 23-24 MPG doing so.

Your Accord, if it is a recent model, has even more power, and probably a higher rating. My father in law has a 1990 Accord with a 2,500 lb hitch on it. He doesn't tow more than a little cargo trailer, though.

You can pretty much ignore most US towing specs for foreign cars. The manufacturer does testing and comes up with a rating. Ironically, a lot of the towing testing on euro and Japanese cars is done in the US! In most foreign markets, people want to tow within car, not a truck. In the US, trucks and SUVs are FAR more profitable, so they lower (or completely drop) the tow rating on cars.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We towed our EggCamper for two years with our little S-10 pickup which had a tow rating of 5600 pounds, (it had the big V-6). It did fine as long as the hills were only moderately steep, but couldn't keep up with the traffic on steeper hills. I can't stand to block traffic, (although I won't go faster than the 65mph speed rating of the camper tires). Also, since the S-10 only had a four-speed transmission, down-shifting made it really roar and cut into the gas mileage. Anyway, since the S-10 was getting a bit old, I decided to upgrade to a more powerful truck, a Tundra with the new 4.6 L engine with a tow package. It was a great decision, the six-speed transmission does have to down-shift but the extra noise of going from sixth to fifth, or even to fourth, is hardly noticeable, and the towing gas mileage is about the same as with the S-10; plus, the big Tundra is much more comfortable for long trips. Long story short, unless you don't mind having a string of cars behind you on hills, don't skimp on the tow rating.

Please do check with Consumer Reports (etc.), about the average repair record and recommendations for any vehicle you are thinking about purchasing. Their annual "Ratings and Pricing Guide" is only a few bucks, but is well worth it. I am constantly seeing people on this forum recommending tow vehicles that Consumer Reports rates as "much worse than average" repair record, or otherwise "not recommended." I know they aren't perfect, but are a good place with which to balance anecdotal recommendations.

And one more thing, at long last tow ratings are finally starting to become standardized! Some vehicles, (such as our 2011 Tundra), have already started to use the new standard when reporting tow ratings. http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...est/index.html

Oh, we also love our EggCamper. When we attended a fiberglass rally last year, the first thing almost everyone said upon entering our egg was "it's so spacious in here," or something similar. One person said "it's so roomy you could dance in here." Well, maybe not quite, but I'm 6' 4" and love not having to stoop over or dodge low-hanging obstacles. Oh, and I don't think Consumer Reports is recommending avoiding any Toyotas anymore because of the recalls, that problem seems to be long over.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #15

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
As for me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We towed our EggCamper for two years with our little S-10 pickup which had a tow rating of 5600 pounds, (it had the big V-6). It did fine as long as the hills were only moderately steep, but couldn't keep up with the traffic on steeper hills. I can't stand to block traffic, (although I won't go faster than the 65mph speed rating of the camper tires). Also, since the S-10 only had a four-speed transmission, down-shifting made it really roar and cut into the gas mileage. Anyway, since the S-10 was getting a bit old, I decided to upgrade to a more powerful truck, a Tundra with the new 4.6 L engine with a tow package. It was a great decision, the six-speed transmission does have to down-shift but the extra noise of going from sixth to fifth, or even to fourth, is hardly noticeable, and the towing gas mileage is about the same as with the S-10; plus, the big Tundra is much more comfortable for long trips. Long story short, unless you don't mind having a string of cars behind you on hills, don't skimp on the tow rating.

Please do check with Consumer Reports (etc.), about the average repair record and recommendations for any vehicle you are thinking about purchasing. Their annual "Ratings and Pricing Guide" is only a few bucks, but is well worth it. I am constantly seeing people on this forum recommending tow vehicles that Consumer Reports rates as "much worse than average" repair record, or otherwise "not recommended." I know they aren't perfect, but are a good place with which to balance anecdotal recommendations.

And one more thing, at long last tow ratings are finally starting to become standardized! Some vehicles, (such as our 2011 Tundra), have already started to use the new standard when reporting tow ratings. Tow Ratings Finally Pass the Sniff Test - The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) - Automobile Magazine

Oh, we also love our EggCamper. When we attended a fiberglass rally last year, the first thing almost everyone said upon entering our egg was "it's so spacious in here," or something similar. One person said "it's so roomy you could dance in here." Well, maybe not quite, but I'm 6' 4" and love not having to stoop over or dodge low-hanging obstacles. Oh, and I don't think Consumer Reports is recommending avoiding any Toyotas anymore because of the recalls, that problem seems to be long over.

as for me....I'll take a toyota or honda any day.
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
As far as cars, neither of those manufacturers offer a car with towing, as far as suv, the Rav4 was considered, but it has a low tow rating and the tow package was hard to order. The Honda Pilot was deemed too big. Then the earthquake hit and the plants shut down. Prices went up as supply went down, so I bought American.
Get a vehicle that can allow you some options vs being at the max all the time. I'd say a minimum of 350 tw and 3500 gvwr should get you thru most of the fiberglass campers here.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
As far as cars, neither of those manufacturers offer a car with towing, as far as suv, the Rav4 was considered, but it has a low tow rating and the tow package was hard to order. The Honda Pilot was deemed too big. Then the earthquake hit and the plants shut down. Prices went up as supply went down, so I bought American.
Get a vehicle that can allow you some options vs being at the max all the time. I'd say a minimum of 350 tw and 3500 gvwr should get you thru most of the fiberglass campers here.
I bought the 2011 Honda Odyssey.......3500# tow rating.......BUT I do have to put the tow package on it. The amount of room in the vans today is just humungus........they are almost a small camper in themselves. I do believe the Odyssey is built in Alabama. Good to know that the 3500# will tow most fiberglass campers. I can use all the advice you can dish out!

I had a Jeep Wrangler Jim (2 of them).....though they are rated really low by consumer reports, they were the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. I should have never sold my last one. The only problem with the Wrangler is that it doesn't tow very much.

BTW Jim....it is so nice having a few people such as yourself on this site to help us newbies with all of our questions. It is very much appreciated!
Thank you!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking They ARE a small camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
I bought the 2011 Honda Odyssey...
...they are almost a small camper in themselves.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...sey-21492.html The seats make nice camp furniture.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oom-28487.html I can sleep 2 in the trailer and 2 in the car.

I have camped in my Odyssey by itself as well as alongside the Fiber Stream trailer as an extra sleeping space when there are 4 adults in my group.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0526.jpg  
Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Hey Fred......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...sey-21492.html The seats make nice camp furniture.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oom-28487.html I can sleep 2 in the trailer and 2 in the car.

I have camped in my Odyssey by itself as well as alongside the Fiber Stream trailer as an extra sleeping space when there are 4 adults in my group.
This is our 2nd Odyssey....loved the first and love this one also.
And yes, we are figuring using the Odyssey when we have a party of 4 also. There is so much room to hang clothes and whatever in the Odyssey. Very smooth driving and I, being 6'5".....find the seats VERY comfortable. I don't seem to ever get tired of driving the Honda Vans.

I also have a Toyota Tacoma that we could use for towing, but the Odyssey is so much nicer inside.....and quiet. That's important for my wife and I. So nice not to have to shout over the road noise.
Have a great day Frederick!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #20

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
I bought the 2011 Honda Odyssey.......3500# tow rating.......BUT I do have to put the tow package on it. The amount of room in the vans today is just humungus........they are almost a small camper in themselves. I do believe the Odyssey is built in Alabama. Good to know that the 3500# will tow most fiberglass campers. I can use all the advice you can dish out!
Ditto for our Toyota Sienna... quiet, comfortable, accessible space.
I think all the hype over Toyota recalls was way out of proportion. I suspect that government owning GM may have had something to do with the tempest in a teapot.

On the disappointing down side, our Sienna XLE came with a tow package, which was nothing more than an engine oil cooler. There was no additional wiring for a brake controller/lights, and no transmission cooler. I added both. A note on the transmission cooler: after adding the transmission cooler, the fluid needed to be topped off. This had to be done at the dealer because the newer transmissions are sealed... no dipstick, no fill tube. It cost me another $99 to have about a pint of the special fluid added. Ouch! With that said, I wouldn't tow without the added cooling for the transmission.

And, in spite of this down side, I'd still go with a Toyota or Honda.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper