What will your next TV be??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We tow with a 2006 Tacoma TRD offroad, 4.0 V6 5 spd auto, 4x4 xtra cab with super springs for trailer towing, bought the truck new a couple yrs before we bought the 17 ft 06 Spirit Deluxe Casita, its been a great tow vehicle, 13.5-14 mpg towing and 18.5+ mpg unloaded, trouble is the miles add up fast, we have 153K on it now, still going strong with no major problems just the usual brakes replacement, service work is about it, maybe next yr we can upgrade, I think I would go for same rig only a 2016, with the new 3.5 V6 with atkinson cycle, better hp (lexxus engine), better mileage, 6 spd auto, not sure what all will change on the 2016 models. Either the Tacoma or a full size Tundra. Don't expect much in way of mpg out of the Tundra. Those are my recommendations depending on the weight of trailer your towing.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Our 2008 Toyota 4Runner V6 is an awesome TV, it is very comfortable, great brakes and adequate power for our Escape 19. In 2016 (2017 model year) the 4Runner is going through a complete update and the current information has a small V8 as an option. I will be looking seriously at one of these in about 2018 to make sure the bugs are worked out.
As you might know, the 4Runner has a new generation from 2010. There are reviewers who have said that the present V-6 is better than the previous V-8. You would be in a new generation to get one now.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #23

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I am replacing (really adding to my 2009 VW TDi DSG Jetta Sportwagen (Golf Variant in the rest ot the world) with 250,000 miles with a 2103 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG.
GWR 4454 lbs, 140 hp 240 ft/lbs torque. Tow rating in the US 1000 lbs.
Tow rating in the rest of the world 1800 KG with 95 kg. towbar weight.
Equipped with Westfalia OEM towbar with removable swan neck and electronics package to activate Trailer Electronic Stabilization, fuel, cooling and transmission optimization for towing. 25 mpg towing at 65 mph.
Trailer weight ~26 - 2800 lbs.

" Kirk Thomson 8 months ago
Can-Am RV :: Jetta towing Visa
I have used a 2006 TDI for towing over a 100,000 km, everywhere from PEI, Vermont, the Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina with a 16' Airstream Bambi, to about 150 trips Vista Cruisers and R-Pods, Airstream 16, 19' and 22' as far as Fort McMurray, Alberta. Our 2010 with the new 2.0L has done about 90,000 km (50,000 miles) so far. Our 2010 has a DSG and never has overheated."
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #24

Name: Ken
Trailer: Casita Spirit
South Carolina
TV Jeep Cherokee (aging)

My 1997 Jeep Cherokee (bought new) has 220,000 miles and still purrs like a kitten pulling a Casita 17. Looking at a new 4runner and a chevy van. The van offers more hauling capacity, but that means I would have to keep my automobile (2012 Camry hybrid). I am addicted to the mileage of the hybrid, but would like to reduce to one vehicle and the 4runner seems to fit that bill.
Any opinions on the 4runner or the van would be appreciated.
Enjoy the forum and the information. This is my first post.
suraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
A much less expensive answer to 4wd when driving in heavy rain is to simply stop for a while. I had to in Montana last month, took all of an hour to blow through.
Stopping may work when its raining but does
nothing when there is two feet of snow on the roads.
Without 4 wheel drive ,I would spend many winter days
trapped at home because I could not make it out to a main plowed
road. Try buying /selling a truck in the upper midwest with 2 wheel drive.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
My Bad, I thought that we were talking about vehicles for towing FGRV's, which is usually a fair to good weather activity, not about year around daily use vehicles. When there are two feet of snow on the road most FGRV's stay at home.

Here in SoCal, where 4x4's are mostly a style statement, about the only time they need 4wd is to climb back over that parking bumper they overshot.... or for that twice a year trip to the ski slopes so they don't have to put on chains. LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #27

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
My Bad, I thought that we were talking about vehicles for towing FGRV's, which is usually a fair to good weather activity, not about year around daily use vehicles. When there are two feet of snow on the road most FGRV's stay at home.

Here in SoCal, where 4x4's are mostly a style statement, about the only time they need 4wd is to climb back over that parking bumper they overshot.... or for that twice a year trip to the ski slopes so they don't have to put on chains.
We only have about 4 to 5 months of seasonable weather in our area. We travel with our trailer year round , If not for 4 WD, I could not get my trailer out of its storage area in the
winter .Two feet of snow is just one more obstacle to overcome. Last year it was -27 deg
F (below zero) when we left home for the GE&H rally in Alabama .Our first night camping on our way south was spent in a SP with a foot of snow on the ground and -14 below temps. We also use our FG trailer for deer hunting at the end of November and again towing our trailer on a snow covered logging road requires 4 wheel drive. Many may only use their trailer
in fair weather , we use our trailer in all types of weather! Snow and cold are not an exceptable excuse where I live to stay home and put life on hold !! Not everyone lives in sunny California

PS I am retired so I don't need 4WD to get to work.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
As you might know, the 4Runner has a new generation from 2010. There are reviewers who have said that the present V-6 is better than the previous V-8. You would be in a new generation to get one now.
Thanks Cathy, yes Toyota redesigns the 4Runner every 7 years, the current V6 is a great powerplant but the Escape 19 has enough weight that a V8 would be an advantage. My 2008 4Runner is in great condition, just turned 60,000 miles so I can easily get more years out of it and wait until the 2018 model 4Runner.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #29

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
[QUOTE=steve dunham;536206]
Quote:

Here in SoCal, where 4x4's are mostly a style statement, about the only time they need 4wd is to climb back over that parking bumper they overshot.... or for that twice a year trip to the ski slopes so they don't have to put on chains.

We only have about 4 to 5 months of seasonable weather in our area. We travel with our trailer year round , If not for 4 WD, I could not get my trailer out of its storage area in the
winter .Two feet of snow is just one more obstacle to overcome. Last year it was -27 deg
F (below zero) when we left home for the GE&H rally in Alabama .Our first night camping on our way south was spent in a SP with a foot of snow on the ground and -14 below temps. We also use our FG trailer for deer hunting at the end of November and again towing our trailer on a snow covered logging road requires 4 wheel drive. Many may only use their trailer
in fair weather , we use our trailer in all types of weather! Snow and cold are not an exceptable excuse where I live to stay home and put life on hold !! Not everyone lives in sunny California

PS I am retired so I don't need 4WD to get to work.
You just told my story! I considered a 2 wheel drive when I replaced my Tacoma, then remembered the times that I enjoyed the security when caught in an unexpected snow storm. I do; however, use my snowblower to clear a path when getting the Scamp from storage before our winter trip south!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #30

NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=Dennis mn;536221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

You just told my story! I considered a 2 wheel drive when I replaced my Tacoma, then remembered the times that I enjoyed the security when caught in an unexpected snow storm. I do; however, use my snowblower to clear a path when getting the Scamp from storage before our winter trip south!
Being frugal / cheap I do not own a snowblower just a plain old snow shovel.
There is a solitude in going outside early in the morning and shoveling last nights blanket of fresh fallen snow. I have often wondered how others exist without the joy of having 4 distinct
seasons. Any one who has experienced a drive along the shores of Lake Superior in the Fall
or winter ,as I'm sure you have ,will never forget the splendor. Sometimes it seems others only see snow and cold as something to avoid instead of embracing its beauty.
Thanks Dennis
Old 07-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler
One other big advantage of a true 4WD/AWD vehicle is if it has a low range. Low range makes backing up so much easier...
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
[QUOTE=steve dunham;536233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post

Any one who has experienced a drive along the shores of Lake Superior in the Fall

Dennis
That run is one of our most memorable experiences!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:48 AM   #33

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Mike Magee, Glad to hear you went with the Lexus over the low rated Jeep product. You will spend more time on the road and less time at the service department getting repairs.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #34
MC1

Ontario
Pat, I too was impressed to see Mike opted for the Lexus. The quality and reliability is there. Will tow great too. Congrats Mike!

PS... Back in 03 My sis bought a Hummer H2. I strongly suggested at $90K CDN it was a poor investment. Instead I suggested a Lexus or other top rated Import and save 10's of thousands of dollars. The H2 is on Edmunds top 10 worst vehicles and my sis has the repair bills to prove that. Geesh, why don't sister's listen to good advise????? ...... Now I'm in big trouble...LOL
Old 07-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
[QUOTE=MC1;536295
PS... Back in 03 My sis bought a Hummer H2. I strongly suggested at $90K CDN it was a poor investment. Instead I suggested a Lexus or other top rated Import and save 10's of thousands of dollars. The H2 is on Edmunds top 10 worst vehicles and my sis has the repair bills to prove that. Geesh, why don't sister's listen to good advise????? ...... Now I'm in big trouble...LOL[/QUOTE]

As I've got older I've learned...

Assuming it's unsolicited, unsolicited advice is worse than spitting in the wind. With our children I give no advice that's not asked for except in threatening situations.

I am always willing to help, but only when asked. It's very difficult to 'fix' anything in others.

I find my happiest relatives are those who ask for advice. I've noticed that there needs to be some trust first. I'm particularly good with my niece and grand nieces. A simple example, one niece could not fall asleep and asked me for help.

I told her to lay down and mentally feel her toes and relax them, gradually working her way up her body, feeling each part and relaxing them. Now it's her technique, years later she occasionally uses it.

Nice try Wayne but....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #36
MC1

Ontario
[QUOTE=honda03842;536299]
Nice try Wayne but....[/QUOTE

You have the right thoughts again Norm. In my case a strong willed women over rules proven, logical advice.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Reality eventually wins, unfortunately possibly only after the repair bills.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #38

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
MC1... There are some things that I would never admit thinking, much less put in writing. LOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Pat, I too was impressed to see Mike opted for the Lexus. The quality and reliability is there. Will tow great too. Congrats Mike!

PS... Back in 03 My sis bought a Hummer H2. I strongly suggested at $90K CDN it was a poor investment. Instead I suggested a Lexus or other top rated Import and save 10's of thousands of dollars. The H2 is on Edmunds top 10 worst vehicles and my sis has the repair bills to prove that. Geesh, why don't sister's listen to good advise????? ...... Now I'm in big trouble...LOL
Toyota = Japanese General Motors.
Lexus = Japanese Cadillac.
Happy to compare my "Domestic's" reliability to any "top rated Import".
Talk about saving tens of thousands of dollars!
Lexus is a nice enough car, but at least half the purchase price is emotion and image.
Those are valid reasons for those who can afford it.
I have a William Austin oil painting,which under comparable care will last as long as an Andy Warhol or a Picasso,and I like it just as much.
I found it roadside in a bean field!

I always assumed that the Lexus tagline..."The relentless pursuit of perfection"
just meant they were chasing a Ford.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #40

NW Wisconsin
I have friends who are wine snobs. They only drink wine from France because California wines are obviously inferior . That same philosophy applies to their cars so they purchase imported vehicles . Its there money and its a free country . I take no personal pride in the ownership of any mass produced product . I feel no need to buy an overpriced product just
for the so called social status value. I think Floyd is right on target, IMHO