What will your next TV be??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #29

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
[QUOTE=steve dunham;536206]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
My Bad, I thought that we were talking about vehicles for towing FGRV's, which is usually a fair to good weather activity, not about year around daily use vehicles. When there are two feet of snow on the road most FGRV's stay at home.

Here in SoCal, where 4x4's are mostly a style statement, about the only time they need 4wd is to climb back over that parking bumper they overshot.... or for that twice a year trip to the ski slopes so they don't have to put on chains.

We only have about 4 to 5 months of seasonable weather in our area. We travel with our trailer year round , If not for 4 WD, I could not get my trailer out of its storage area in the
winter .Two feet of snow is just one more obstacle to overcome. Last year it was -27 deg
F (below zero) when we left home for the GE&H rally in Alabama .Our first night camping on our way south was spent in a SP with a foot of snow on the ground and -14 below temps. We also use our FG trailer for deer hunting at the end of November and again towing our trailer on a snow covered logging road requires 4 wheel drive. Many may only use their trailer
in fair weather , we use our trailer in all types of weather! Snow and cold are not an exceptable excuse where I live to stay home and put life on hold !! Not everyone lives in sunny California

PS I am retired so I don't need 4WD to get to work.
You just told my story! I considered a 2 wheel drive when I replaced my Tacoma, then remembered the times that I enjoyed the security when caught in an unexpected snow storm. I do; however, use my snowblower to clear a path when getting the Scamp from storage before our winter trip south!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #30

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
[QUOTE=Dennis mn;536221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

You just told my story! I considered a 2 wheel drive when I replaced my Tacoma, then remembered the times that I enjoyed the security when caught in an unexpected snow storm. I do; however, use my snowblower to clear a path when getting the Scamp from storage before our winter trip south!
Being frugal / cheap I do not own a snowblower just a plain old snow shovel.
There is a solitude in going outside early in the morning and shoveling last nights blanket of fresh fallen snow. I have often wondered how others exist without the joy of having 4 distinct
seasons. Any one who has experienced a drive along the shores of Lake Superior in the Fall
or winter ,as I'm sure you have ,will never forget the splendor. Sometimes it seems others only see snow and cold as something to avoid instead of embracing its beauty.
Thanks Dennis

Old 07-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #31

Name: Jack
Trailer: Eriba Triton now - ex U-Haul, Boler owner
Georgia
One other big advantage of a true 4WD/AWD vehicle is if it has a low range. Low range makes backing up so much easier...
Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
[QUOTE=steve dunham;536233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post

Any one who has experienced a drive along the shores of Lake Superior in the Fall

Dennis
That run is one of our most memorable experiences!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #33

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Mike Magee, Glad to hear you went with the Lexus over the low rated Jeep product. You will spend more time on the road and less time at the service department getting repairs.

Happy Camping!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #34
MC1

Ontario
Pat, I too was impressed to see Mike opted for the Lexus. The quality and reliability is there. Will tow great too. Congrats Mike!

PS... Back in 03 My sis bought a Hummer H2. I strongly suggested at $90K CDN it was a poor investment. Instead I suggested a Lexus or other top rated Import and save 10's of thousands of dollars. The H2 is on Edmunds top 10 worst vehicles and my sis has the repair bills to prove that. Geesh, why don't sister's listen to good advise????? ...... Now I'm in big trouble...LOL
Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
[QUOTE=MC1;536295
PS... Back in 03 My sis bought a Hummer H2. I strongly suggested at $90K CDN it was a poor investment. Instead I suggested a Lexus or other top rated Import and save 10's of thousands of dollars. The H2 is on Edmunds top 10 worst vehicles and my sis has the repair bills to prove that. Geesh, why don't sister's listen to good advise????? ...... Now I'm in big trouble...LOL[/QUOTE]

As I've got older I've learned...

Assuming it's unsolicited, unsolicited advice is worse than spitting in the wind. With our children I give no advice that's not asked for except in threatening situations.

I am always willing to help, but only when asked. It's very difficult to 'fix' anything in others.

I find my happiest relatives are those who ask for advice. I've noticed that there needs to be some trust first. I'm particularly good with my niece and grand nieces. A simple example, one niece could not fall asleep and asked me for help.

I told her to lay down and mentally feel her toes and relax them, gradually working her way up her body, feeling each part and relaxing them. Now it's her technique, years later she occasionally uses it.

Nice try Wayne but....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #36
MC1

Ontario
[QUOTE=honda03842;536299]
Nice try Wayne but....[/QUOTE

You have the right thoughts again Norm. In my case a strong willed women over rules proven, logical advice.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #37

Florida
Reality eventually wins, unfortunately possibly only after the repair bills.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #38

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
MC1... There are some things that I would never admit thinking, much less put in writing. LOLOL
Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #39

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Pat, I too was impressed to see Mike opted for the Lexus. The quality and reliability is there. Will tow great too. Congrats Mike!

PS... Back in 03 My sis bought a Hummer H2. I strongly suggested at $90K CDN it was a poor investment. Instead I suggested a Lexus or other top rated Import and save 10's of thousands of dollars. The H2 is on Edmunds top 10 worst vehicles and my sis has the repair bills to prove that. Geesh, why don't sister's listen to good advise????? ...... Now I'm in big trouble...LOL
Toyota = Japanese General Motors.
Lexus = Japanese Cadillac.
Happy to compare my "Domestic's" reliability to any "top rated Import".
Talk about saving tens of thousands of dollars!
Lexus is a nice enough car, but at least half the purchase price is emotion and image.
Those are valid reasons for those who can afford it.
I have a William Austin oil painting,which under comparable care will last as long as an Andy Warhol or a Picasso,and I like it just as much.
I found it roadside in a bean field!

I always assumed that the Lexus tagline..."The relentless pursuit of perfection"
just meant they were chasing a Ford.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #40

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I have friends who are wine snobs. They only drink wine from France because California wines are obviously inferior . That same philosophy applies to their cars so they purchase imported vehicles . Its there money and its a free country . I take no personal pride in the ownership of any mass produced product . I feel no need to buy an overpriced product just
for the so called social status value. I think Floyd is right on target, IMHO
Old 07-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #41

Florida
Floyd,

A chance to learn every day...I looked up Austin. Thanks

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM   #42

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkenney53 View Post
Just purchased a 2015 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe ( will be born on 28Sep15) and am considering a Ford Explorer as the tow vehicle. Front wheel drive vs All wheel drive is the question of the day. Any observations?
IMO it's a no-brainer, buy AWD or 4WD.

First, you live in PA and it will help you greatly in winter weather. Even here in OK where we rarely get big snowstorms, sometimes they do come and the city doesn't have the snow removal equipment to plow the side streets. Whenever that happens, I watch the neighbors spinning and shoveling and then I grin, get behind the wheel and guide my AWD vehicle effortlessly past them. (If they ask, I'll pull them out.) Why struggle needlessly with 2WD when you can have AWD?

Second, tire wear is enhanced when towing with AWD. I towed for a while with a '96 Windstar FWD van and the tires would only last about 30-35k miles. The tire store could see they'd been scrubbing on the front axle. Since I started using AWD (2000 Merc Mountaineer, 2008 Toyota Highlander), my tires usually last 45-50k miles.

Third, I feel that AWD's improved traction enhances handling a bit on slippery or loose surfaces. It's a small, subtle improvement, but I figure it it only keeps me out of a bad situation one time in all the years I use it, the feature has paid for itself.

Fourth, when you unhook the trailer at the CG and want to run some back trails for fun, wouldn't you rather have AWD or 4WD instead of 2WD? I would.

Thanks to those who extended kind words about my Lexus choice. Ian, you don't have to wait for 2018 to get a V8 4Runner, you can buy a V8 Lexus GX any time and it's just a more plush 4Runner!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote