What will your next TV be??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Floyd,

A chance to learn every day...I looked up Austin. Thanks

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #42

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkenney53 View Post
Just purchased a 2015 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe ( will be born on 28Sep15) and am considering a Ford Explorer as the tow vehicle. Front wheel drive vs All wheel drive is the question of the day. Any observations?
IMO it's a no-brainer, buy AWD or 4WD.

First, you live in PA and it will help you greatly in winter weather. Even here in OK where we rarely get big snowstorms, sometimes they do come and the city doesn't have the snow removal equipment to plow the side streets. Whenever that happens, I watch the neighbors spinning and shoveling and then I grin, get behind the wheel and guide my AWD vehicle effortlessly past them. (If they ask, I'll pull them out.) Why struggle needlessly with 2WD when you can have AWD?

Second, tire wear is enhanced when towing with AWD. I towed for a while with a '96 Windstar FWD van and the tires would only last about 30-35k miles. The tire store could see they'd been scrubbing on the front axle. Since I started using AWD (2000 Merc Mountaineer, 2008 Toyota Highlander), my tires usually last 45-50k miles.

Third, I feel that AWD's improved traction enhances handling a bit on slippery or loose surfaces. It's a small, subtle improvement, but I figure it it only keeps me out of a bad situation one time in all the years I use it, the feature has paid for itself.

Fourth, when you unhook the trailer at the CG and want to run some back trails for fun, wouldn't you rather have AWD or 4WD instead of 2WD? I would.

Thanks to those who extended kind words about my Lexus choice. Ian, you don't have to wait for 2018 to get a V8 4Runner, you can buy a V8 Lexus GX any time and it's just a more plush 4Runner!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #43
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Reality eventually wins, unfortunately possibly only after the repair bills.
Repair bills, excessive rust, and $130. to fill the gas tank. My BIL hates the thing but keeps smiling. He knows the drill. Happy wife, Happy Life.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM   #44
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Happy to compare my "Domestic's" reliability to any "top rated Import".
Wow, books have been written about this topic Floyd.

What can I say... There are some good and bad products on both sides. I just feel many off shore brands have an edge in many ways.

PS... We have an Infiniti and really like it but the experience with the dealer was not good. If we bought another Infiniti it would not be from an Infiniti dealership. We also have a good independent mechanic that takes care of any service issues.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We seem to be confusing two issues here. One is domestic versus imported (i.e., Toyota vs. Chevrolet). The other is premium versus mass-market (i.e., Cadillac vs. Chevrolet).

The former distinction has become so muddled by globalization of manufacturing and supply that we could argue all day about what constitutes a "domestic" vehicle. The latter is a matter of personal taste and resources and, yes, some issues of "status." In some cases there are real differences of substance; in others, it's a matter of leather and fancy electronics. That argument, too, could go on all day. I'm a mass-market guy, but I try not to begrudge others their choices.

Some years ago we purchased a lightly-used Toyota Sienna (base model, no bells and whistles) from a Lexus dealer. I will have to say it was the most pleasant sales experience I have had ever had, and the price of the vehicle was very competitive. Downside is that now every time something goes wrong with one of our cars, my wife says, "Let's go buy a Lexus."

In my opinion, blind loyalty to any manufacturer is unwise. All of them make some good vehicles and some duds. When we purchased a new tow vehicle in 2013, our requirements were three rows and a V6. We considered minivans and crossovers from Ford and GM as well as Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, and Mazda. This time around, Honda gave us the most for the best price. Next time is hopefully many years away, but I will start with a clean slate. Of course, my wife will still want a Lexus!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #46

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Pennsylvania
Thanks to all for the advice. As it turns out I found a 2012 Explorer 4WD with factory tow package. Vehicle has 10K miles and has the V6 for power. Picking it up on Friday.
wkenney53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #47

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here some free advice on buying late model "Used" vehicles.
Most new cars as sold with 5-6 year payment contract and, a least according to BofA, about 80% are kept until the loan is paid off.

However, leases often only run from 2-3 years and then they are traded in. Within the lease period many lessee's see no responsibility to do more than put in gas and drive. Sooo, what I am saying is that a huge number of late model used vehicles are lease returns or, horror of horrors, repossessed vehicles, and may have received only minimal routine maintenance. In short, be very careful when buying vehicles in that group.

A major U.S. company I used to work for told us to only do oil changes on company lease cars every 12,000 miles because they knew that they would still last until trade in at 60,000 miles, which was usually within 24-30 months of new.

In many states the title and/or the selling dealer are required to indicate that a vehicle was a lease return or a repo, but you may want to ask to be sure.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #48

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Wow, books have been written about this topic Floyd.

What can I say... There are some good and bad products on both sides. I just feel many off shore brands have an edge in many ways.

PS... We have an Infiniti and really like it but the experience with the dealer was not good. If we bought another Infiniti it would not be from an Infiniti dealership. We also have a good independent mechanic that takes care of any service issues.
I owned a Datsun once (your Infiniti's ancestor)... proves your point(good and bad on both sides)!
When it comes to the automotive world I have turned a lot more wrenches than pages... and likely more wrenches than have the automotive writers.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #49

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
http://www.motortrend.com/features/m...s/viewall.html

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
So.... take a look at the roster of your favorite baseball team!
Like ball sports...brand loyalty for its own sake will not be affected by such an article, even if the simplistic argument were valid.
It is also apparently irrelevant since it is Toyota which now seems to enjoy the most brand loyalty more or less based on the perceived superiority of Japanese quality.
OHHH the irony!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #51

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
A major U.S. company I used to work for told us to only do oil changes on company lease cars every 12,000 miles because they knew that they would still last until trade in at 60,000 miles, which was usually within 24-30 months of new.

In many states the title and/or the selling dealer are required to indicate that a vehicle was a lease return or a repo, but you may want to ask to be sure.
The Major US Company was rolling the dice on that one - chances are very good that the lease terms included following the service schedule in the manual. The moral of that story is don't buy a lease return from a fleet buy, but one that was a private vehicle. There are also high mileage penalties in leases.

I bought a lease return 1994 Geo Prism LSI (rebadged Toyota Corolla LX) in 1996 with 29,000 miles on it. I proceeded to drive it, mostly in Pennsylvania, in all weathers for the next nine years and put ~187,000 miles on it including daily commuting, interstate trips, and a stint delivering pizza. When an oncoming Jeep totaled it at 216,000 miles it still had the original struts and clutch, and used exactly as much oil as it had at 50,000 miles (about one quart between 8000 mile changes with WalMart synthetic, or half a quart if using anybody else's). My total outlay in unscheduled maintenance was a new radiator (PA road salt), clutch master cylinder, and alternator.

I've had several relatives buy retired rental cars (one from Avis, two from Hertz) - they've all done very well, too.

That said, for a TV, a lease return or ex-fleet car might not be ideal. It probably won't have the options you'd choose for towing, so you either have to option up yourself or live without.
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #52

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In the lease agreement it only referred to warranty claims needing the maintenance documented. In at least one case, that of a valve guide problem, the company just ate the cost of the repair. The other consideration is the cost of taking a sales or technical rep off the street for even 4 hours for a service. It all added up and make sense to corporate. BUT.... when the cars hit 60,000 miles almost no one stepped up to buy one out of lease.

But you are correct: NEVER buy a lease car that was a fleet car.

BTW: I drove a lot more than average and both of my Ford mini vans hit 120,000+ miles in less than 3 years, but there was never a mechanical problem. It was still cheaper to pay the mileage overage than get a new vehicle, It's all about: a) counting beans and b) rolling the dice. I guess our bean counters were also fairly good at shooting craps.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #53
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've owned three "Japanese " pickups. Total warranty work, one tail gate adjustment. They were all made in the US. Thanks to Lyndon and his chicken law I suspect. . Before that I had two Chevy pick ups and two Ford pick ups. Until I owned a Honda I thought monthly trips to the dealer was normal. We all buy based on our experience. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #54

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walter View Post
I really like all wheel drive for any towing applications - especially heavy rain. The mileage penalty is usually only 1 or 2 mpg for a lot of added safety.
I previously towed with an All Wheel full time drive and I have to say it provided a very solid tow in all sorts of bad driving conditions etc. Even in extreme high winds it stuck to the road and never had any issues with trailer sway etc. When not towing and driving in the winter it was fantastic in the snow.

Sorry I could not say all of the same for my current 4 wheel drive on demand truck.

As far as my next tow vehicle goes it will depend on what my next trailer is - plan to move up a little in size shortly but the Toyota Highlander and the VW Touareg would both be on my radar depending how deep I want to go into the pocket book.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #55

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I've owned three "Japanese " pickups. Total warranty work, one tail gate adjustment. They were all made in the US. Thanks to Lyndon and his chicken law I suspect. . Before that I had two Chevy pick ups and two Ford pick ups. Until I owned a Honda I thought monthly trips to the dealer was normal. We all buy based on our experience. Raz
LOL actually for the 2014 model year there where only 10 vehicles sold that can claim to be at least 75% US Domestic made (which includes parts from Canada) & funny enough they include a few of those "Japanese" pickups & only one Ford model made the list:

1. Ford F-150; Dearborn, Mich., and Claycomo, Mo.
2. Toyota Camry; Georgetown, Ky., and Lafayette, Ind.
3. Honda Odyssey; Lincoln, Ala.
4. Toyota Sienna; Princeton, Ind.
5. Toyota Tundra; San Antonio
6. Toyota Avalon; Georgetown, Ky.
7. Chevrolet Corvette Stingray; Bowling Green, Ky.
8. Honda Ridgeline; Lincoln, Ala.
9. Honda Crosstour; East Liberty, Ohio
10. Dodge SRT Viper; Detroit

From USA Today
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #56
MC1

Ontario
T-Reg.... an impressive choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As far as my next tow vehicle goes it will depend on what my next trailer is - plan to move up a little in size shortly but the Toyota Highlander and the VW Touareg would both be on my radar depending how deep I want to go into the pocket book.
Garth Cane is a TV/RV tester/writer for RV Lifestyle mag. He once did a road test using the T-Reg which was towing at it's limit and he wrote. This was the best TV he had ever towed a trailer with. Over many years he had probably test driven dozens of combinations.

PS, but the Highlander many be a bit more reliable and cost less to operate.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #57

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The Ford F150 no longer has 75% domestic content for 2015.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #58
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL actually for the 2014 model year there where only 10 vehicles sold that can claim to be at least 75% US Domestic made (which includes parts from Canada) & funny enough they include a few of those "Japanese" pickups & only one Ford model made the list:

[/URL]
My Nissan has a jack made in Canada and the jack crank made in China. Go figure.

Is a disclosure of the origin of the parts required now? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #59

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
Warining: long post, sorry-
I have been looking at a new used TV for awhile. Potential cars were a Toyota Highlander, Lexus Rx350 , GMC Acadia, Acura Mdx & a Mazda Cx9 .

I read reviews on all of these cars. 3 take premium fuel, 1 uses regular. They all have favorable reviews; in my opinion Acura won the "I love this car" the most in the reviews. A few weeks ago I drove a 2009 Acura Mdx - its a great car, has excellent acceleration & can tow but takes premium fuel. Last week I drove a 2010 Lexus Rx350 & a 2010 limited Toyota Highlander. They were both smooth on the road, the Lexus had 20,000 miles less than the Toyota Highlander, yet both had the same price. My bride asked the salesman what he thought of the Lexus. He said " I work at a Toyota dealer and they(Lexus owners) all come in and say will you service my L with an attitude"! Now mine you I don't have a problem buying a used one but that confirmed it for you know who; end of L shopping!! Also drove a Toyota Highlander Sport which I found had a stiffer suspension on the highway.

Ended up buying a one owner used 2008 Toyota Highlander Lmt 4 WD with the tow package (can tow up to 5000 lbs with it). It is a $200.00 option (a good option to add if buying new!) that is difficult to add later because it includes an oil cooler above the oil filter, a heavy duty radiator, a transmission cooler, a 150 amp alternator and a 200 watt fan.

Some reasons why I ended up buying Toyota which I hope holds true:
Uses regular fuel ( saves me $300/year), gets a mile or 2 mpg better than the other 3, does not have a timing belt to change at 100,000 miles, has a great tow package installed, engine and transmissions have a great track record, and best of all -can haul the grand kids camping!
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Its been 15years and I haven't had my tailgate adjusted yet
So I have to assume that your Chevys and Fords were from the nineteen sixties and seventies? Or don't those Japanese trucks last that long???