What will your next TV be??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
What will your next TV be???

I think a number of us tend to look ahead and plan for the future.

Our 03 car is getting older and we now have the 09 Sienna with only 132,000klm's on it. We will still use the car once we get the trailer back on the road but for sure the Sienna will be the next TV if the car gets too long on the tooth.

Any one else got their next TV in mind? Suv, van, car, or truck??
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I really like my 2012 Frontier. It's a simple no frills pickup that is the perfect tow for us. So far it has not seen road salt. If I can keep it that way it should last me many years. But if and when the time comes the next generation Honda Ridgeline will get a close look. It is due out this fall and by the time I'm looking they should have worked all the bugs out. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Every time I think of this subject, it makes me sad. I have the perfect truck which will soon be 15 years old and has nearly 170,000 miles already.
Ford no longer makes the Ranger and there is no decent sized truck being made.
I suppose I will keep my truck for at least another ten years , then (or in the mean time) search for a low mileage used Ranger.
I liked the Adrenalin Sport Trac (maybe I will need a handicap transmission someday)
For my Scamp13 I might consider a Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost or maybe a Transit Connect.

Fact is there is not likely to be more TV for less money than a Ford Ranger any time soon.
At any rate, I simply refuse to spend anything close to $40,000 on anything with wheels. The other day I saw a 2007 full sized Chevy with 154,000 miles on the lot for...
$19,.

Maybe a third generation shortbox Econoline 6CYL manual with overdrive.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

Name: Caroline
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
I have a 2010 Ford Ranger Sport (4.0L V6) with the factory tow package. I'm babying it, it has around 31,000 miles on it now. When I bought it off the dealers lot, it was with the intention that it would be the last brand new vehicle I'd buy in my lifetime. I hope to tow a snazzy little fiber glass egg with it someday during retirement.

I do have to say that I've been nagged more about selling this truck than I have for any other vehicle I've owned. At least once a month someone stops me wanting to know if I'll sell it.

My sister has a Honda Ridgeline...she adores that truck and pulls a small stick camper behind it to NASCAR races.

Sorry to go off topic, but Floyd's post about his Ranger inspired me. **grin**
CSelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
But if and when the time comes the next generation Honda Ridgeline will get a close look. It is due out this fall and by the time I'm looking they should have worked all the bugs out. Raz
My friend just bought a lightly used Ridge last year and she luvs it. Thnxs for the heads up about a new one coming out. I wasn't aware of that.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I've just upgraded my TV this month. Found a used 2008 Lexus GX 470 with half as many miles as the Highlander (the HL is now for sale). We just got back from a 2800 mile trip to and from Michigan with the Lexus, and my wife and I were pleased with the comfortable ride. The self leveling air suspension is nice to have, too.

I'd been hot after a 2011-2013 Grand Cherokee, but the Lexus was priced right and I felt better about buying a higher-mileage Lexus than a higher-mileage GC. Both have full time 4WD, a feature I insist upon.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I've had S-10 family GM's for 12 years (1 new, the other used) and find them perfectly suited to my needs. As my current 2003 Blazer is just ticking over 70,000 I expect it to last at least another 75,000.

All that said, if I come across a "Barn Find" 2001-2003 S-10 family, Extended cab pick up or 2 dr. Blazer, I just might grab it to redo, just in case something untoward happens to my current ride.

And, with the current "Average" sales price of a new F-150 somewhat north of $42,000 (Per FoMoCo), I could do a lot to make an old S-10 into a new S-10, and still have a lot of $$$ left over.

BTW: Size is perfect for up to 4500 lb FGRV's, No compensation needed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A 3/4 ton ,4 wheel drive ,diesel powered crew cab pickup truck with lots of bells and whistles.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:51 PM   #9

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Pennsylvania
Tow vehicle

Just purchased a 2015 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe ( will be born on 28Sep15) and am considering a Ford Explorer as the tow vehicle. Front wheel drive vs All wheel drive is the question of the day. Any observations?
wkenney53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler
A 2018 Land Rover Defender diesel - as soon as they come out I'm ordering one. My 2007 Land Rover LR3 will probably only have around 150,000 miles on it by then - young in Land Rover lifespans. I really like all wheel drive for any towing applications - especially heavy rain. The mileage penalty is usually only 1 or 2 mpg for a lot of added safety.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A much less expensive answer to 4wd when driving in heavy rain is to simply stop for a while. I had to in Montana last month, took all of an hour to blow through.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

Name: Walt
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Pennsylvania
Keep the recommendations coming folks.
wkenney53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #13

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Awd, instead of fwd..there will be times you wish you had power to the rear wheels

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkenney53 View Post
Just purchased a 2015 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe ( will be born on 28Sep15) and am considering a Ford Explorer as the tow vehicle. Front wheel drive vs All wheel drive is the question of the day. Any observations?
I'd seriously consider AWD.

I pull a 13' Scamp with a FWD Honda Pilot. We spend one week each year at a local lake, and the access road is a 3-mile graded (more or less) gravel road. At one point on the way out the road makes a sharp bend and then ascends a 200 yd. grade, maybe 7-8%, with some washboard surface toward the top. First time, the Scamp unloaded the front wheels of the Pilot enough that wheel spin caused the stability control to kick in, resulting in all kinds of things with braking and throttle that brought the whole rig to a standstill. I had to back down and take another run- one of those white knuckle towing moments. I have since learned to turn off the stability control and allow some wheel spin to get to the top.

If you plan much off-highway towing with a heavier trailer like the Casita 17, you will be glad for AWD.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Awd, instead of fwd..there will be times you wish you had power to the rear wheels

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Eight years with my front wheel drive Escape and never missed driving the rear tires yet. All wheel drive will be a little easier on tires when towing than front wheel only, but the difference will never pay for itself in tire wear.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #16
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Eight years with my front wheel drive Escape and never missed driving the rear tires yet.
We made out OK with the FWD Nissan Van too. Although I recall once when towing the pop up (no WDH) that in a panic stop the front wheels of the van started to locked up and the anti locks kicked in. Towing the pop up through a Buffalo snow storm the FWD van was fine. We had Michelin X all season tires on the van.

With the van when the 23' was connected, and using the WDH all went well too. No traction or braking issues. The drive train weight on the drive wheels of the van is a good thing especially when using a WDH.

Note our lighter, RWD car has less traction when towing than the heavier FWD van...... or maybe its just the extra 120HP that gets the rear wheels searching for traction on loose surfaces. :7)

No doubt AWD has an advantage.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Front Wheel Drive

I'm no car expert. We've towed only with front wheel drive. Our Honda CRV and our Honda Odyssey are both essentially front wheel drive vehicles.

We've towed extensively on dirt roads with numerous steep slopes and have had few wheel spin issues, with those few lasting more than a few seconds.

The CRV had no stability control (or anti-lock brakes). The Odyssey does have stability control.

I would expect one advantage of front wheel drive is more of the weight is over the front wheels while some rear wheel drive vehicles are light in the rear. I have never owned a truck but I have seen many people loading their truck beds with weight in winter, Is this still true..I don't know.

Our CRV had on demand rear wheel drive. In 10 years of driving I only recall the rear wheels kicking in twice, neither while towing. In both cases I forced it by creating wheel slip to pull us through a situation.

Like many RVers, in severe weather, particularly heavy rain, snow or blowing sand we pull over. We don't drive in bad weather.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Our 2008 Toyota 4Runner V6 is an awesome TV, it is very comfortable, great brakes and adequate power for our Escape 19. In 2016 (2017 model year) the 4Runner is going through a complete update and the current information has a small V8 as an option. I will be looking seriously at one of these in about 2018 to make sure the bugs are worked out.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I am keeping my 2012 Rav4 / 35,000 mi /tow pkg/4WD till i am no more driving. I thought that to about my 2002 F150 4WD crew cab 80,000mi but my step son needed a truck real bad and my wife said i would feel better if he had a decent truck to drive his son around, ohhhh you know the story. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
We made out OK with the FWD Nissan Van too. Although I recall once when towing the pop up (no WDH) that in a panic stop the front wheels of the van started to locked up and the anti locks kicked in. Towing the pop up through a Buffalo snow storm the FWD van was fine. We had Michelin X all season tires on the van.

With the van when the 23' was connected, and using the WDH all went well too. No traction or braking issues. The drive train weight on the drive wheels of the van is a good thing especially when using a WDH.

Note our lighter, RWD car has less traction when towing than the heavier FWD van...... or maybe its just the extra 120HP that gets the rear wheels searching for traction on loose surfaces. :7)

No doubt AWD has an advantage.
Our rear drive pickup was much improved with the addition of a limited slip differential. Without it, the right rear tire tended to slip under a load, whether under hard acceleration or towing a trailer. That is just a normal characteristic of an open differential. The limited slip is a great stabilizer.