Wheel Bearing question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
So, Floyd, does the EZ-Lube fill the hub cavity 100%? If you pump it full at cool temps, then hit the road, won't the grease expand with heat and ooze out, blow the seal, and get on the brakes?
No it won't, what little expansion experienced will push a little grease into the cavity in the dust cover as designed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #22

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Unfortunately no two people agree as to what "best practices" is on anything.

And the washing machine, it's a rebadged Whirlpool. Maytag went belly up years ago. A class action law suit dealing with their Neptune washing machine and failure to honor the warranty was at least partially to blame.
Agree or disagree, there really can only be one "best practices" on anything! So once again, it is best to study, become informed, and take responsibility....
Using "best practices" maintenance, we just retired our Maytag Neptune washer/dryer set after 15 years of hard use, they were both in running order and I spent less than $35 in repairs and scheduled maintenance.

The Maytag man is lonely for a reason, and it ain't exceptional reliability!
Old 05-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Agree or disagree, there really can only be one "best practices" on anything! So once again, it is best to study, become informed, and take responsibility....
Using "best practices" maintenance, we just retired our Maytag Neptune washer/dryer set after 15 years of hard use, they were both in running order and I spent less than $35 in repairs and scheduled maintenance.

The Maytag man is lonely for a reason, and it ain't exceptional reliability!
I have an original Neptune. Over twenty years old. What got Maytag in trouble was an undersized component that failed, keeping the door locked until the Maytag repair man arrived. His solution was to replace the control board to the tune of $500+. Because of a large number of failures, Maytag started repairing the boards and reinstalling them with the same 10¢ part, even though it was destined to fail again. This went on until someone with deep pockets took them to court. I installed the part they should have used. Cost 12¢ plus shipping.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #24

Name: B. E.
Trailer: still hoping and praying
Texas
I learn solid maintenance and love little tid bits too

I read all of ya'lls information, back and forth conversations, thank you for remembering us "dummies" too. I'm filing everyone's "two cents" so I will be prepared when I get on the road. Thank you, now I know a wee bit more regarding packing bearings. and the CORRECT info
B. E. Neis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
I have an original Neptune. Over twenty years old. What got Maytag in trouble was an undersized component that failed, keeping the door locked until the Maytag repair man arrived. His solution was to replace the control board to the tune of $500+. Because of a large number of failures, Maytag started repairing the boards and reinstalling them with the same 10¢ part, even though it was destined to fail again. This went on until someone with deep pockets took them to court. I installed the part they should have used. Cost 12¢ plus shipping.
I hear ya!, when the wax motor failed on mine it took out the part of the board which controlled it (the door lock) it was just a few cents in parts on the board, but it burned a hole right through.Instead of fixing it, (it was 11-12YO) I just bypassed the door lock and the wife was smart enough not to open it when it was running. Worked fine for years until we decided on the new ones.
The wax motor was a dumb idea where a solenoid would do better.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #26
Raz

The wax motors were made in Italy. I guess we can't make good wax motors? What was clever was using a stepper motor to replace the transmission. I also like the big concrete counter weight. My guess is the electronics was farmed out. Why that SCR failed and the others didn't is a mystery. Perhaps bad air flow?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:57 AM   #27
Raz

Quote:

Ask yourself this: How often do you worry about the wheel bearings on your tow vehicle?

While walking the dog it occurred to me that I've never run across any mention of wheel bearings requiring grease in the maintenance schedule of either my Frontier or my CRV. I believe in both cases the wheel bearings are "permanently" greased and can only be replaced. As such using the frequency of bearing greasing on my tow as a standard for servicing my trailer might not be prudent. Just a thought.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1463914542086.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	95360
Attached Thumbnails
1463914516918.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Floyd,
You must be a great cook as you are always stirring the pot, I really enjoy your repartee with others as well as your fount of knowledge. Glad to see things have not not changed. Anyone know when the Minden, Ne rally will reappear, I still have 15 more buildings to go thru at Pioneer Village.....
Old 05-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
For those that feel you MUST inspect and repack bearings every year, IF that is true, then how can it be possible that the SAME manufacturer would offer a "Nev-R-Lube" bearing. How is it "sealed"?, why doesnt it "pit"? Why doesnt the even-smaller amount of grease "wear out" quicker than the axles with grease cavities??? I'm not going to put-on here, but Dexter (and others) really confuse people to their "must clean/inspect/repack every year 'REGARDLESS' of the miles"- including me!!???

Here's the link:
http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...Nev-R-Lube.pdf
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
For those that feel you MUST inspect and repack bearings every year, IF that is true, then how can it be possible that the SAME manufacturer would offer a "Nev-R-Lube" bearing. ..

Here's the link:
Ahh... its a VERY different design. Thats rather like comparing the basic / standard trailer spindle/bearings with the bearings on cars and trucks.. apples and oranges.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #31
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
For those that feel you MUST inspect and repack bearings every year, IF that is true, then how can it be possible that the SAME manufacturer would offer a "Nev-R-Lube" bearing. How is it "sealed"?, why doesnt it "pit"? Why doesnt the even-smaller amount of grease "wear out" quicker than the axles with grease cavities??? I'm not going to put-on here, but Dexter (and others) really confuse people to their "must clean/inspect/repack every year 'REGARDLESS' of the miles"- including me!!???

Here's the link:
Post 27. One is my trailer bearing, the second my truck.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Floyd,
You must be a great cook as you are always stirring the pot, I really enjoy your repartee with others as well as your fount of knowledge. Glad to see things have not not changed. Anyone know when the Minden, Ne rally will reappear, I still have 15 more buildings to go thru at Pioneer Village.....
Pioneer village is a great place to visit.
No telling when there might be another rally since we recently lost our talented friend and host Ron Walker to traffic accident.
Not sure if Linda would want to pursue another rally without being able to share the task with her loving Husband now lost.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ahh... its a VERY different design. Thats rather like comparing the basic / standard trailer spindle/bearings with the bearings on cars and trucks.. apples and oranges.
Not really apples and oranges...
Most newer vehicles are front or all wheel drive and no longer use conventional wheel bearings on their front axles as was common just a few years ago.
However conventional rear drive vehicles such as two wheel drive light trucks and cars such as the crown victoria used bearings virtually indistinguishable in design from those used on a standard 3500 pound trailer axle.
My Ranger has such bearings and they get repacked when ever the brakes are serviced and otherwise ignored. The fact is that these conventional bearings tend to outlast the sealed hubs which are supplied with many light truck four wheel drive applications.

Below is a bearing from a 2WD Ford Ranger and a Dexter 3500# axle...
Which is which?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Ask yourself this: How often do you worry about the wheel bearings on your tow vehicle?

Quote:
While walking the dog it occurred to me that I've never run across any mention of wheel bearings requiring grease in the maintenance schedule of either my Frontier or my CRV. I believe in both cases the wheel bearings are "permanently" greased and can only be replaced. As such using the frequency of bearing greasing on my tow as a standard for servicing my trailer might not be prudent. Just a thought.

I have to giggle at this.

Each and EVERY time the discussion on maintaining trailer wheel bearings come up the "how often do you service your cars wheel bearings?" question is asked. Justification for some as to why they do not bother to service their trailer bearings on a regular bases?

It has been pointed out many times that a vehicles wheel bearings can and do fail but are not designed to be serviced yearly or after x so many miles. But if you have your vehicle serviced regularly the shop will no doubt put the vehicle up in the air and do some wheel inspections looking for signs of a bearing issue. The need for a replacement of a vehicle wheel bearing as I have found out on low milage vehicles can and do happen and it is a VERY pricey undertaking.

Trailer bearings on the other hand are pretty easy to visually inspect, maintain and cheap to replace.

Anyone who has had a trailer break down that requires a tow knows all to well thats not as simple an undertaking as it is to simple call a tow truck to tow your vehicle into a shop. Anything that can be done to possible avoid getting into that situation, is a good thing in my books.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #35

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Below is a bearing from a 2WD Ford Ranger and a Dexter 3500# axle...
Which is which?

Thanks Floyd you have made my point. The bearings themselves may be the same but as you rightly point out many newer vehicles - front wheel drives, all wheel drives, 4 wheel drives have sealed hubs. Making what you do with your old Ford Ranger - checking them - impossible.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Quote:

I have to giggle at this.

Each and EVERY time the discussion on maintaining trailer wheel bearings come up the "how often do you service your cars wheel bearings?" question is asked. Justification for some as to why they do not bother to service their trailer bearings on a regular bases?

I for one think it is a valid question and my bearings are well maintained. The issue of inspection goes beyond searching for damage, it should also provide information as to when the next repack should be... too seldom can result in premature wear of course, but too often can result in wasted effort or expenditure, like uprooting your radishes every few days to see how they are growing.

Another problem from too often is human error such as too tight or too loose on the preload. Like throwing away a good tire using the "Logan's Run" method of tire maintenance and finding an increase in the possibility of get a new tire with a defect.
I still maintain that following standard procedure is a good place to start
but learning why by paying attention and developing good judgement can be even better.
Ritual has its place, but so has reason and understanding.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Floyd you have made my point. The bearings themselves may be the same but as you rightly point out many newer vehicles - front wheel drives, all wheel drives, 4 wheel drives have sealed hubs. Making what you do with your old Ford Ranger - checking them - impossible.
Not really, but as I said earlier, I don't disassemble my Ranger just to check them.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #38

No it's not a "VERY" different design or "apples/oranges". They're two "tapered roller bearings" facing inward to each other. On the trailers they're further apart but the "Nev-r-Lube" is basically the same bearing design/arrangement in one compact design. I still want to know WHY they should be maintained differently? AND, to which, I'd like to hear it from the BEARING manufacturer and not from the axle manufacturer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Old 05-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #39

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Wow. Never realized I would cause such a discussion! Thank you all for the info!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #40

It's all good! We like to get into some "Ford/Chevy" debates every now and then. I actually learn from it! It appears we can do it more on this site without somebody going "ballistic"! In reality, this is ONE hot topic! Did someone mention "generators"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohkraites View Post
Wow. Never realized I would cause such a discussion! Thank you all for the info!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Fiberglass RV mobile app