Wheel Bearing question - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #71
Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Well, I lazed out this year and had the work done by a RV mechanic as he was doing the brakes anyway. Well worth the money and I know it was done properly.

Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #72
Name: Kathy-Ann
Trailer: Scamp
Thank you!

Kathy-Ann Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #73
Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Over greasing is just as bad as under greasing. Especially when you have brakes.
Get rid of the bearing buddies and just do a proper hand packing once a year.
Can't argue with that!

And although I think I know the answer to this question I will still ask it for the expert opinions..

Is there any harm in keeping bearing buddies in place but not using them (by adding grease) and instead doing regular bearing maintenance the same you would do if you did not have the bearing buddies?

PS to Kathy-Ann.. its the grease you CAN'T see that you would have to worry about (inside the drum).. A little grease slung on the outside of the wheel is not a big deal. But if you notice grabbing brakes or other unusual performance, pull the hub and see if grease came out through the rear seal. That's the voice of (one) experience speaking
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #74
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
It also could just be some brake noise, the magnet rubbing or shoe rubbing. If it persists, or in the case of grease slinging, may be a good idea to pull the hubs and check. Here's an example; I'm checking over our old pop-up camper for our son to take. It has 7" brakes. I pulled off one hub and the lining from one brake shoe fell out, de-bonded from the shoe. Never would have seen that by pumping grease into a fitting. As far as leaving the bearing buddies as just a dust cap, the ones I have on a boat trailer have a spring in them. The idea is to pump grease in until the spring starts to compress, so that there is pressure on the grease filled hub. The idea is now water can't get in. If the hub is not full of grease and no pressure so the spring is compressed, then it is basically just a dust cap. I have rubber slip on caps that go over the bearing buddies to keep dirt out of the fitting and spring.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #75
Name: Kathy-Ann
Trailer: Scamp
Thanks. We are preparing for a long trip. This is a new to us used trailer. I think we should go to an RV place and get an annual PE.
Kathy-Ann Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #76
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That doesn't mean squirting grease in them You need to remove the bearings, clean and inspect them, repack, replace the inner seal, and replace them.
We repack the bearings and clean any rust from the winter off of the shoes every spring.
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #77
Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1991 Scamp - "Ziggy"
Axle Dust Cover

Well, I've replaced the bearing buddy twice. Both times, the fit "seemed" tight because I had to use a hammer and 2X4 to tap them in place. The right side bearing buddy has stayed on without issue but the left side/driver's side has fallen off within 30 minutes of driving. No clear explanation and I can assure you that it isn't over lubed. I have cleaned the mess of grease off the wheel from the uncapped side and monitored the temperature to ensure that the axle isn't over heating.

I was thinking of creating a "retainer" with some light weight wire that would be wound around the opposing lug nuts to hold the dust cover in place so it can't jump off.

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote