Wheel Bearing question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Wheel Bearing question

When we rebuilt our trailer, we put a brand new Dexter torsion axle under it. We then took the trailer on its first trip to Florida (about 5,500 miles round trip) and then a shorter trip of about 1,000 miles round trip.

We're just about ready to go on a second trip to Florida and I'm just checking to make sure we don't have any issues.

When should I pull the hubs and repack the grease? Is it overdue and did I mess up?

Thanks in advance!
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If you didn't get an owners manual with your new axle then they are available online. Being new, you can protect your warranty by following the instructions that Dexter specifies.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Thanks, Gordon. I never got the manual. I went to Dexter and found that it's 12 months or 12,000 miles. I'll give the bearings a good check then before we head out on this trip.

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohkraites View Post
Thanks, Gordon. I never got the manual. I went to Dexter and found that it's 12 months or 12,000 miles. I'll give the bearings a good check then before we head out on this trip.

Thanks!
That doesn't mean squirting grease in them You need to remove the bearings, clean and inspect them, repack, replace the inner seal, and replace them.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

Colorado
Registry
Byron -- I'm very much aware of all that a "check" entails. I know it's a messy business and involves more than just pulling a dust cap and squirting grease. I just didn't know if I had to do it YET. I think I will. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!
Tony
Old 05-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just to be on the safe side, nobody should advise you not to check them.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Byron -- I'm very much aware of all that a "check" entails. I know it's a messy business and involves more than just pulling a dust cap and squirting grease. I just didn't know if I had to do it YET. I think I will. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!
Tony
Sorry to insult your intelligence.
One should remember that this is a public forum and not a you me conversation. Others are listening. As such it's always a good idea to be perfectly clear on such things so that those that don't have the knowledge don't make big mistakes.
Thanks for bringing up the subject.

FYI Here Dexter's maintenance schedule. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...e_Schedule.pdf

Enjoy traveling.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Byron...no offense taken. It's all good. I just wanted to figure out when it needed to be done.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That doesn't mean squirting grease in them You need to remove the bearings, clean and inspect them, repack, replace the inner seal, and replace them.
I am a believer in the utility and effectiveness of EZ-LUBE, and my experience confirms it.
However I think it is important to hand repack the bearings on a new axle to be certain that they are packed and adjusted correctly.

Is it your opinion that the manufacturer would design and sell EZ-LUBE as an intentional fraud and sales gimmick knowing that it is useless?
Also why replace a new seal if you know how to remove and inspect them without damage?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Sorry to insult your intelligence.
One should remember that this is a public forum and not a you me conversation. Others are listening. As such it's always a good idea to be perfectly clear on such things so that those that don't have the knowledge don't make big mistakes.
Thanks for bringing up the subject.

FYI Here Dexter's maintenance schedule. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...e_Schedule.pdf

Enjoy traveling.
Byron -- This is absolutely perfect!!! THANK YOU! This is going to go IN the trailer today!

Thanks!

Tony
Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I am a believer in the utility and effectiveness of EZ-LUBE, and my experience confirms it.
However I think it is important to hand repack the bearings on a new axle to be certain that they are packed and adjusted correctly.

Is it your opinion that the manufacturer would design and sell EZ-LUBE as an intentional fraud and sales gimmick knowing that it is useless?
Also why replace a new seal if you know how to remove and inspect them without damage?

I guess that some people believe that a feature is included and therefore must be used. I look at the EZ-LUBE and an added feature that I don't really need. I put a lot of miles on my trailer every year. So far this year it's been over 8,000 miles. I gave up doing these kind of tasks several years ago and hire it done. It's done annually along with brake inspection and adjustment. My trailer has lots of miles so this works for me. Not everybody sees it the same way, and you're welcome to do what ever you want to.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
I guess that some people believe that a feature is included and therefore must be used. I look at the EZ-LUBE and an added feature that I don't really need. I put a lot of miles on my trailer every year. So far this year it's been over 8,000 miles. I gave up doing these kind of tasks several years ago and hire it done. It's done annually along with brake inspection and adjustment. My trailer has lots of miles so this works for me. Not everybody sees it the same way, and you're welcome to do what ever you want to.
So IYHO it is an added feature. Should I infer from that that you believe it has a purpose, but one for which you have no need?

I seriously doubt that I would choose to repack every year even if there were no such thing as EZ-LUBE.
One thing I learned as a fleet mechanic was that best practices and manufacturer's schedules are often at odds.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Grease Contamination

The only remotely possible problem would be water in the grease, and by extension, the bearings.

If it were me, I would hitch up the trailer, and drive a mile and check hub temperature. I would drive another mile and check it again. Then I would go 3-4 miles at highway speed and check it, then maybe 10 or 20 miles and check the temperatures. Do this on a Saturday afternoon when it is not critical, not as part of the first few miles of a vacation.

One other option, if you are so inclined, would be to pull the hubs and inspect for water contamination in the grease.

Ask yourself this: How often do you worry about the wheel bearings on your tow vehicle?

--Dan Meyer

Quote:
When we rebuilt our trailer, we put a brand new Dexter torsion axle under it. We then took the trailer on its first trip to Florida (about 5,500 miles round trip) and then a shorter trip of about 1,000 miles round trip.

We're just about ready to go on a second trip to Florida and I'm just checking to make sure we don't have any issues.

When should I pull the hubs and repack the grease? Is it overdue and did I mess up?

Thanks in advance!
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
One thing I learned as a fleet mechanic was that best practices and manufacturer's schedules are often at odds.
If it fails under warranty I'm sure they will understand.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks Dan. You said what I was thinking. I NEVER give advice on what to do as to each his own.

I can only say on a 2010 Scamp I bought new after 6 yrs and 10,000 miles- never pulled the wheels or greased them. I jack the trailer up...keep it that way when I'm not traveling. I spin the wheels often and listen-- VERY smooth and quiet as always. I also grab the wheels and shake them to check for "play". I test-pull in the spring and measure the hub temps. Let's dont get into a "NIST" standards debate on measuring devices as the hubs do still read the same temps on the test pull as when it was new.

My truck is a '99 Nissan with 88,000 miles on it and the wheel bearings doesnt even get the treatment my trailer does as far as testing!

Dexter will tell you clearly on the phone that they developed the EZ-Lubes for boat trailers to help displace water on the axles that are continually being submerged without having to pull the wheels as often. Their words.

With all of that said, if I lose what many say is a "gamble" and you see me on the side of the road and dont want to help, I understand. I'm simply going by experience from being raised by a mechanic and in a machine shop- (still there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
The only remotely possible problem would be water in the grease, and by extension, the bearings.

If it were me, I would hitch up the trailer, and drive a mile and check hub temperature. I would drive another mile and check it again. Then I would go 3-4 miles at highway speed and check it, then maybe 10 or 20 miles and check the temperatures. Do this on a Saturday afternoon when it is not critical, not as part of the first few miles of a vacation.

One other option, if you are so inclined, would be to pull the hubs and inspect for water contamination in the grease.

Ask yourself this: How often do you worry about the wheel bearings on your tow vehicle?

--Dan Meyer
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #16

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
All one needs to do is pull the hubs/bearings from their BRAND NEW Dexter axle and look at the very SMALL amount of bearing grease they provide on the NEW axle/bearing/hub setup from the Dexter factory to see that you might want to consider a bearing "re-pack" sooner than later!

Yes I know "MO" grease may not be better however I do know "Little to No" grease is worse!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
If it fails under warranty I'm sure they will understand.
99% of warranty issues arise before scheduled maintenance can become an issue. 99% of subsequent longevity and reliability is the result of best practices maintenance.

I just bought Maytag's best washer and dryer set.
Each had a permanent label on the front touting a "10 YEAR Warranty"
IT was simply a lie... There is no real warranty
You must be able to prove that the defect was present at the time of manufacture to get parts or service in the first year and only two specific parts are covered with the same caveat after that with no service.

Last year I bought a new high efficiency HVAC system with great warranty promises. All void if I installed it myself. It is in and working perfectly and I saved $4500.
I'll take "best practices" anytime to assure best longevity and reliability,
along with the comfort of having a warranty which most companies honor, and most buyers don't ever need.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:

So, Floyd, does the EZ-Lube fill the hub cavity 100%? If you pump it full at cool temps, then hit the road, won't the grease expand with heat and ooze out, blow the seal, and get on the brakes?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
99% of subsequent longevity and reliability is the result of best practices maintenance.
Unfortunately no two people agree as to what "best practices" is on anything.

And the washing machine, it's a rebadged Whirlpool. Maytag went belly up years ago. A class action law suit dealing with their Neptune washing machine and failure to honor the warranty was at least partially to blame.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
So IYHO it is an added feature. Should I infer from that that you believe it has a purpose, but one for which you have no need?

I seriously doubt that I would choose to repack every year even if there were no such thing as EZ-LUBE.
OK,,, So, I looked up EZ-Lube and see that it is a whole system, not just a way to pump grease into the bearing cap .... like the "Bearing Buddies" did.
It requires a spindle that is drilled to put the grease behind the inner bearing, then force the old grease out past the outer bearing. So, it would fill the hub cavity. The old way of pulling the hub, washing it out, and hand packing - so the grease goes only where it is needed - and uses much less of the stuff - is better.
AND, you inspect the bearings and seals for damage.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote