Wheel bearings? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #1

Name: Georgana
Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Good Morning everybody. We are finally getting our first egg!!!! After much looking and discussion we've decided to by a "raw" scamp. This camper will need to be towed from Mass to Pa. We are not sure what all it will need to be road worthy, so as a former girl scout, I want to be prepared. Does anyone know what size/type wheel bearings this might take? I'm not sure that we will need them but just in case.... .
Thanks in advance, G

Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Ah, so you're getting Kristi's Scamp? (Should we mark her ad as "SOLD"?)

Should be an interesting project, to outfit it the way you want it to be.

I'd think if there's concern about the bearings, the easy thing to do would be to tow the trailer to a mechanic in MA and have them repacked. You can do it yourself, but it's messy.

Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Congragulations on your purchase and hope you have alot of fun with it.
If you decide to just drive it back the way it is simply stop every 50-100 miles and feel the center hub on each side......they will be warm but not so hot that you can't hold your hand on it..... If the temperature feels about the same on both sides you have no problem. This method will give you a way advanced notice if you have any problems...... This is a good practice all the time but you can stretch your miles out alot more after your comfortable but to get it home the 50-100 mile check will work.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Ah, so you're getting Kristi's Scamp? (Should we mark her ad as "SOLD"?)

Should be an interesting project, to outfit it the way you want it to be.

I'd think if there's concern about the bearings, the easy thing to do would be to tow the trailer to a mechanic in MA and have them repacked. You can do it yourself, but it's messy.

Hopefully, yes, this is Kristi's. I'm not worried about doing it myself. We have 2 pop-ups and learned from my husband how to do it first thing! The stink from the gas is the worst part.... .

I'm running into issues with the transfer. We have time constraints. My husband is taking off work Friday and needs to be back Monday so we have ~2 days to get it together!

Mass does not offer temp tags and it would take ~30 days to get new tags. Then we would have to transfer registration in PA. Hopefully the current tags are current and we could use those to move it. Otherwise I will need to change out the hitch(class 2), and rent a uhaul!

I'm planning to take Duct tape and drop cloth to cover windows and door openings. We are also taking jacks, tools, rope, tarp, grease, etc. I'm not sure what to expect.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Congragulations on your purchase and hope you have alot of fun with it.
If you decide to just drive it back the way it is simply stop every 50-100 miles and feel the center hub on each side......they will be warm but not so hot that you can't hold your hand on it..... If the temperature feels about the same on both sides you have no problem. This method will give you a way advanced notice if you have any problems...... This is a good practice all the time but you can stretch your miles out alot more after your comfortable but to get it home the 50-100 mile check will work.
Joe
Thanks Joe.

You were helpful with the bed size as well. We looked at a Liberty in NJ and a Spirit? in Phila. These were Casitas but we decided to go with something that we could make our own.

It sure is going to be an interesting project. Our deck took 3 years and still has a few minor details pending so.... .

Thaks again for your help,
G
Old 08-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
Quote:
... I'm not worried about doing it myself. We have 2 pop-ups and learned from my husband how to do it first thing! The stink from the gas is the worst part.... .
I hope you're not using gasoline as a solvent to clean the bearings. There are many different, safer (and ususally less stinky) alternatives out there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast (or thread)........
Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can look on the web site for Dexter Axles and get the bearing numbers -- S13 uses the smaller #9 axle and S16 uses the #10 -- I believe Al-Ko uses the same bearings. Lots of information on that site.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Quote:
I hope you're not using gasoline as a solvent to clean the bearings. There are many different, safer (and ususally less stinky) alternatives out there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast (or thread)........
Thanks Eric for the info. We always used gas. What other kinds are available?
It sure would be great not to stink as well as being safer!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
Quote:
You can look on the web site for Dexter Axles and get the bearing numbers -- S13 uses the smaller #9 axle and S16 uses the #10 -- I believe Al-Ko uses the same bearings. Lots of information on that site.

I found it. It was on the Scamp website under owners manuals. I'm glad I looked because it reminded me about the seals. I rememeber forgetting them and having to run back... . Story of my life.

Thanks Pete
Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Go to auto parts store and buy "Gunk Engine Brite Engine Degreaser". It still stinks, like diesel, but will cut grease and wash off with water.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #11

Pennsylvania
Thanks everybody, for the information. We left Friday AM empty handed and returned this AM (1:30) with our first egg!!!! The bearings were full of grease and only got a little warm on the frequent checks. We only needed to tighten one of the locking rings? as the wheel was a little wobbly.