Wheel bearings? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Member
 
Georgana D's Avatar
 
Name: Georgana
Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Good Morning everybody. We are finally getting our first egg!!!! After much looking and discussion we've decided to by a "raw" scamp. This camper will need to be towed from Mass to Pa. We are not sure what all it will need to be road worthy, so as a former girl scout, I want to be prepared. Does anyone know what size/type wheel bearings this might take? I'm not sure that we will need them but just in case.... .
Thanks in advance, G
__________________

__________________
Georgana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Administrator
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Posts: 9,711
Registry
Ah, so you're getting Kristi's Scamp? (Should we mark her ad as "SOLD"?)

Should be an interesting project, to outfit it the way you want it to be.

I'd think if there's concern about the bearings, the easy thing to do would be to tow the trailer to a mechanic in MA and have them repacked. You can do it yourself, but it's messy.
__________________

__________________
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
________________________________
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Posts: 1,043
Congragulations on your purchase and hope you have alot of fun with it.
If you decide to just drive it back the way it is simply stop every 50-100 miles and feel the center hub on each side......they will be warm but not so hot that you can't hold your hand on it..... If the temperature feels about the same on both sides you have no problem. This method will give you a way advanced notice if you have any problems...... This is a good practice all the time but you can stretch your miles out alot more after your comfortable but to get it home the 50-100 mile check will work.
Joe
__________________
Joe and Linda
2013 Casita SD
Dodge Ram 4x4
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Member
 
Georgana D's Avatar
 
Name: Georgana
Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Quote:
Ah, so you're getting Kristi's Scamp? (Should we mark her ad as "SOLD"?)

Should be an interesting project, to outfit it the way you want it to be.

I'd think if there's concern about the bearings, the easy thing to do would be to tow the trailer to a mechanic in MA and have them repacked. You can do it yourself, but it's messy.

Hopefully, yes, this is Kristi's. I'm not worried about doing it myself. We have 2 pop-ups and learned from my husband how to do it first thing! The stink from the gas is the worst part.... .

I'm running into issues with the transfer. We have time constraints. My husband is taking off work Friday and needs to be back Monday so we have ~2 days to get it together!

Mass does not offer temp tags and it would take ~30 days to get new tags. Then we would have to transfer registration in PA. Hopefully the current tags are current and we could use those to move it. Otherwise I will need to change out the hitch(class 2), and rent a uhaul!

I'm planning to take Duct tape and drop cloth to cover windows and door openings. We are also taking jacks, tools, rope, tarp, grease, etc. I'm not sure what to expect.
__________________
Georgana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Member
 
Georgana D's Avatar
 
Name: Georgana
Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Quote:
Congragulations on your purchase and hope you have alot of fun with it.
If you decide to just drive it back the way it is simply stop every 50-100 miles and feel the center hub on each side......they will be warm but not so hot that you can't hold your hand on it..... If the temperature feels about the same on both sides you have no problem. This method will give you a way advanced notice if you have any problems...... This is a good practice all the time but you can stretch your miles out alot more after your comfortable but to get it home the 50-100 mile check will work.
Joe
Thanks Joe.

You were helpful with the bed size as well. We looked at a Liberty in NJ and a Spirit? in Phila. These were Casitas but we decided to go with something that we could make our own.

It sure is going to be an interesting project. Our deck took 3 years and still has a few minor details pending so.... .

Thaks again for your help,
G
__________________
Georgana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
Member
 
ERIC B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
Posts: 91
Quote:
... I'm not worried about doing it myself. We have 2 pop-ups and learned from my husband how to do it first thing! The stink from the gas is the worst part.... .
I hope you're not using gasoline as a solvent to clean the bearings. There are many different, safer (and ususally less stinky) alternatives out there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast (or thread)........
__________________
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can look on the web site for Dexter Axles and get the bearing numbers -- S13 uses the smaller #9 axle and S16 uses the #10 -- I believe Al-Ko uses the same bearings. Lots of information on that site.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
Member
 
Georgana D's Avatar
 
Name: Georgana
Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Quote:
I hope you're not using gasoline as a solvent to clean the bearings. There are many different, safer (and ususally less stinky) alternatives out there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast (or thread)........
Thanks Eric for the info. We always used gas. What other kinds are available?
It sure would be great not to stink as well as being safer!
__________________
Georgana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Member
 
Georgana D's Avatar
 
Name: Georgana
Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Quote:
You can look on the web site for Dexter Axles and get the bearing numbers -- S13 uses the smaller #9 axle and S16 uses the #10 -- I believe Al-Ko uses the same bearings. Lots of information on that site.

I found it. It was on the Scamp website under owners manuals. I'm glad I looked because it reminded me about the seals. I rememeber forgetting them and having to run back... . Story of my life.

Thanks Pete
__________________
Georgana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 509
Go to auto parts store and buy "Gunk Engine Brite Engine Degreaser". It still stinks, like diesel, but will cut grease and wash off with water.
__________________
CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Member
 
Georgana D's Avatar
 
Name: Georgana
Trailer: 1996 16 ft Scamp and 1990 16 ft Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 52
Thanks everybody, for the information. We left Friday AM empty handed and returned this AM (1:30) with our first egg!!!! The bearings were full of grease and only got a little warm on the frequent checks. We only needed to tighten one of the locking rings? as the wheel was a little wobbly.
__________________

__________________
Georgana D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheel bearings thomas kaz Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 06-15-2009 11:53 PM
Wheel bearings Glenn Baglo Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 5 10-08-2008 08:13 PM
Wheel bearings JOE DRISSEL Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 39 05-16-2006 11:57 PM
Wheel bearings. Legacy Posts Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 22 02-23-2003 05:18 PM
Wheel Bearings. General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.