Wheel size and ride? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Wheel size and ride?

When I got my Campster it had one good 13 inch wheel and one good 12 inch wheel (spare) and tire. So since I was concerned about fitting in the garage I put 12 inch wheels on. No problems, I barely cleared the garage that way but I can.

Now I am not sure the trailer will ever go back in the garage. I have room for 13 inch wheels or even 14 inch. Plenty of clearance in the wheel wells. The question is, will I get a smoother ride with bigger wheels? And is there any other advantage? Any disadvantage besides weight and cost?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
The question is, will I get a smoother ride with bigger wheels?
I don't believe so. Ride smoothness is dependent on suspension characteristics and not tire size. But if the tires and wheels fit, I don't see any disadvantages to going bigger.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I don't believe so. Ride smoothness is dependent on suspension characteristics and not tire size. But if the tires and wheels fit, I don't see any disadvantages to going bigger.
Is there any advantage?

I'm really thinking of things like road vibration (having just towed through Seattle where it always feels like I have four flat tires due to the vibrations.) It seems like bigger tires would improve the ride there. The new Forester already seems to avoid the bouncing I sometimes had with the old one.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
12, 13 or 14" tires does not mean much without a profile number. What is the radius of the tire?

I think your last comment means the most. You have a newer suspension. What is the suspension like on your trailer?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Registry
They are standard trailer tires. 14>13>12 so that should be enough to answer my question. I guess "ride" isn't the right question, I should have asked what difference size makes in tires, period. I understand smaller ones would go around more often but as they are rated by time and not mileage I'm not sure what that means anyway. If I were hitting really rough road conditions large ones would clear rocks and holes better. But other than that does it matter in any way?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Bobbie,
My 12's are 1/4" smaller than the original 13's
The recommended new 13's are more than 1/2" bigger.
You need the final diameter of the profile to compare.
My guess is that for the majority of us, the tires are doomed by age, long before we hit the mileage.

A link to pictures and what I found:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post168308
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I personally think bigger tire, 13 vs say 14 tend to cooler running bearings, also increase in load rating
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It seems to me that with a larger wheel/tire you longer wheel bearing life and if you travel a lot maybe more tread life. If you increase tire width, (amount of rubber on the ground) you increase rolling friction, which could decrease mileage.
The other thing to consider with larger tires and wheels you've added weight.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Bigger equals better in almost all respects. Fuel economy, weight capacity, overcoming obstacles, lower bearing RPM per MPH, and ride. Drawbacks are when space is limited for installation, cost, slightly slower acceleration. If it fits, go big.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote