wheels for My trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #15
Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
We changed our 13" rims for 14" rims rated for trailer use in our Boler awhile back. Put on trailer rated tires. We were about half a mile out of the tire place when a pickup honked at us saying smoke was coming from the trailer. We stopped right away, and found that the new trailer tire, with its additional flex, was rubbing against the wheel well, causing everything to heat up and melt. It was so hot that the rubber bonded itself to the wheel well.

All this to mention that the inset of rims vary, moving the tire some. In our case, too much. Didn't notice it when it was being put on, as there was no weight on it, and it spun freely. Also, the tire flex varies by type and tire height, so if your clearances are minimal, check things carefully.

Luckily, we had no fire, and the damage was minimal once we got the mess cleaned up. We switched to a flatter automotive radial tire, and have had no further problems, with more than 20,000 miles of travel in two years. The tire folks say there's not a lot of difference in trailer tires and automotive tires; trailer tires have stuff in the sidewalls that prevent uv damage, and they're built to flex more.

Bottom line -- check everything carefully before you drive off.

Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 PM   #16
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
lance your problem was caused by going to a 14 in rim not the tires..always use trailer tires or even a truck tire but never use car tires...

Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:01 AM   #17
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
The tire folks say there's not a lot of difference in trailer tires and automotive tires; trailer tires have stuff in the sidewalls that prevent uv damage, and they're built to flex more.
A minor observation: The load calculation formulas say that trailer tires carry less weight per psi than a passenger car tire used on a passenger car and so for the same size tire the trailer tire will deflect less.

Your tire adviser is correct if you also remember to "de-rate" the capacity of the passenger car tire by 10%. Passenger car tires used in an application for which they were not designed (trailer usage) are supposed to carry 10% less weight for a given pressure. Carrying the 10% less weight brings the deflection nearer to that of a trailer tire of the same size. The "supposed to" portion of this comes from the Tire & Rim Assn. who are the people who publish the load/inflation tables we use in the U.S.

FWIW, not much (none) of the load in a "normal" tire (not counting the run flat types) is carried by the structure of the tire.
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
New wheels on out Trillium are 14in Ameriacn Racings Torque Thrusts and I am using 6ply tires which I had on two of my other import trucks when needed in times I knew I'd be packin some extra weight (other than my own ( ). The wheels also appear on our tow vehicle, a '37 Plymouth 4 door Hot-Rod. Makes a statement sitting still or travelin on thr open roads. I have experienced NO problems at all in the last season I had them installed.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #19
Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I have a question for you Joe. Do the wheels from your GM have the same bolt pattern and hole size as your camper? I thought that the GM wheels were different. If they are different, you may be able to change the hubs on the camper to get them to match up.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 AM   #20
Trailer: Trillium
by my measurement they are 5 on 4-1/2, same as the hubs on the trailer.
when it quits snowing and gets warm, I'll let you know.

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #21
Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I'm reviving this very old thread as I have the same concern that the OP (Joe MacDonald) had about the load capacity of automotive alloys for his trailer.

I've read that 14" alloys from Ford Rangers / Mazda B-series pickup will fit many trailers, as they have the same bolt pattern and similar offset, and many members here have them on their trailers.

Weight capacity of Ranger wheels may not be a concern with lighter trailers like a Trillium's 1300 or 4500 model, but mine is the larger 5500, just like Joe's.

My trailer has a torsion axle, no idea of the capacity. Spec sheet in the cupboard reads a 3000# Gross Vehicle Weight (not Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). Don't know what is the actual weight of the trailer, but most have reported weight between 2400 and 2900 lbs. My guess is this is empty weight, and that the final weight will be just under 3500 lbs.

Now I have the opportunity to get a nice set of 14X6 Ford Ranger alloys ("Deer Hoof" pattern) at a good price.
If the bolt pattern, lug type, and offset are indeed compatible with my trailer, should I be concerned with the weight capacity of these wheels?

If Joe is listening, what did you finally do, did you put on the GM wheels you were looking for? They were larger (15X6), how was the fitment?

Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote