When should RV tires be replaced? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Replace the tires. The cost should not be too high. Replace 4 last year and total was under $400. Shop around for best price...no matter where you buy them they must be ordered as most tire retailers do not stock trailer tires.
When I shopped last year the price spread was significant.
Once you get the new tires buy tire covers and use them...the sun is you enemy!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool My experience

I don't recommend doing this but this is my experience.
I bought a used 1970 sailboat on a trailer in 1973. It was brought from Wisconsin to Washington in 1977 which was its longest trip (except possibly when it was brought to Wisconsin from the manufacturer in southern California. Don't know how it made that trip.)
I sold it in 2005 with the original tires on it. Admittedly, it wasn't used all that much (which is why I sold it) and it was garaged.
Neither were the bearings repacked. It did have Bearing Buddies which I greased every trip.
YMMV

(Hmmm. I can't insert picture here.)

Boat attached to new owner's vehicle. BTW the boat/trailer weighed in the neighborhood of 2800# and I towed it originally with a hitch rated at 1500# (1970 Toyota Crown with 2.5l straight 6). (young and dumb)
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_1405.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #23

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... Last year I replaced the tires, Goodyear Marathon Radials, on our 2007 Escape 5.0. $75. ea and a pair of chrome wheels $75.ea with brass stems. I thought a good price from my RVTech. He ordered in the tires and they were dated within 6 months!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

And we thank you Alf! Now i dont have to worry about replacing for a few years. I just make sure the pressure is up.

The trailer is now on its shortest ever trip one km to our town park where i am having sleepovers with various grandchildren. We have all seven here right now.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #24

Name: Faith
Trailer: currently shopping for a Scamp
Pennsylvania
Wendy Lee,
I see you are in NY. We are camping at Fish Creek Ponds in early Sept. Do you ever do the Adirondacks?
Faith
PatchWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Fish Creek Ponds is the best of the NY State Campgrounds....enjoy!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Now that you have new shoes on your egg you should be all set for several years.

Check air pressure regularly and make it a habit to feel the tire and bearing hub at stops while traveling. Heat can often be an early warning of under pressure or a bearing on its way out.

They make sensors to monitor this stuff but I don't travel enough to justify the expense. Decent tire gage and a quick visual and touch test got me this far. And at least a couple of times gave me a warning that pressure was getting low. Tire was noticeably hotter than normal or hotter than the other one. Sure enough - needed air had picked up a nail in one case, bad valve stem in the other.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #27

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Faith,

I am a school teacher so by the time September rolls around my camping days are over. It's so crazy busy in teaching that I simply can't take any days off at all.

I have never camped in the Adirondacks as an adult but love it there. I'm from Watertown, NY so used to go quite a bit as a kid. Thank you for asking of me!

Wendy

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:38 AM   #28

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Wendy Lee, you could always join us over north of Albany Aug 14-16 for our Second Annual Northeast Egg Beaters Hudson River Ramble! We do it at my brother's place on the Hudson, and both he and my sister-in-law are retired teachers. For what it's worth...

Enjoy that egg!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:20 AM   #29

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you, Frank. Is this a scramble you do every year? I already have a camping trip booked and planned for those dates this year, but would love to be considered for 2016. I used to take a greyhound every summer with my grandma to Schenectady to visit relatives when I was a kid. Be nice to go back to those parts.

I'm in Texas now as I type. My son just graduated from basic training at Lackland AFB and I'm here for 4 days to celebrate with him. He won't be back till Christmas.

First words out of his mouth...wow mom, you're hair is really gray. 😃. I wanted to tell him it was from raising him and his sister as a single mom all these years! Ha ha. Where does the time go? I was just changing his diaper, wasn't i?

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires