When should RV tires be replaced? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Looking
New York
When should RV tires be replaced?

Just bought a FGRV. Previous owner said he had never replaced the tires (I believe he bought it in 2007). Tires appear to be in good shape (no cracks, weather checking, etc). I'd rather not change them if u don't have to. But, I also don't want to blowout while towing either. So, what is considered the age limit of an RV tire?

'78 Trillium 4500 (masquerading as a '79) owner since July '15
blwells45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwells45 View Post
Just bought a FGRV. Previous owner said he had never replaced the tires (I believe he bought it in 2007). Tires appear to be in good shape (no cracks, weather checking, etc). I'd rather not change them if u don't have to. But, I also don't want to blowout while towing either. So, what is considered the age limit of an RV tire?

Hi: blwells45... Go directly to your RV dealer. Do not pass go... Do not collect $200. Get them replaced with good dated new ST Radial trailer tires. Then you will know they're good and safe!!! Keep an old one for a spare if they're radials.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
For those that believe in tire aging issues (such as moi) as the general rule-of-thumb seems to be between 6-8 years, I try to replace my tires on or about their 7th birthday.

Unfortunately, a tire can look almost "Like New" on the outside, yet can have cord and belt breakdown inside.

Considering the high risk and cost of a blowout on the road, starting with new tires will not only add to the safety margin, but it will be one less thing to worry about with your new rig.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
... Keep an old one for a spare...
If they should not be used on the trailer, then they should not be used as a spare. They are still good for plating flowers however.

BTW, a little searching will show recent discussions on this very topic, including:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ire-70418.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
To me the cost of new tires compared to the cost of the trailer is not a lot. Yes I understand busting the budget in purchasing the trailer, common enough. However one has to ask one's self if a blow out and possibly trailer totaled is worth not getting new tires. As time goes on you'll learn how to budget for things like this.
If the tires were at the point of needing replacement when the previous owner bought it, you're really looking for trouble by not replacing them. At any rate it appears that they're at least 8 years old. I replace mine every 5 years whether needed or not.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
My Goodyear Marathons bought new with the trailer are now just over 6 years old, and look great, though I understand that there is more than meets the eye. I asked my tire store manager about changing them, and he said they they don't start checking them out until 7 years. The ones on his own trailer were 8 years old this spring, and he was thinking of changing them despite them looking good.

Another thing to watch, is the valve stems. This spring, one of mine cracked when topping off the pressure, and had to be replaced.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #7

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
For my trailer, it's going to be Friday.

I recently check the build dates on mine and discovered that time had slipped away since I replaced the originals. I did; however, get ten good years out of them!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Where do you check the build dates? Is it stamped on the tire with the inflation pressures?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

Registry
Hi: CampyTime... Tire mfg. dates, 4 digit code, are usually in a raised oval area on the inside sidewall. (0115) would be the first week of 2015 etc.
On our 2007 5.0 Escape all the valve stems went bad...even the unused spare. $10. apiece to replace them...cheap insurance against blowouts.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;wave
Old 07-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Hi: CampyTime... Tire mfg. dates, 4 digit code, are usually in a raised oval area on the inside sidewall. (0115) would be the first week of 2015 etc.
On our 2007 5.0 Escape all the valve stems went bad...even the unused spare. $!0. apiece to replace them...cheap insurance against blowouts.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;wave
They may also be on the outside sidewall, depending on how they were mounted, but you only find them on one sidewall. That is to protect the tire builder from burns as he changes the plate in a hot tire mould!
Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #11

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Hi: blwells45... Go directly to your RV dealer. Do not pass go... Do not collect $200. Get them replaced with good dated new ST Radial trailer tires. Then you will know they're good and safe!!! Keep an old one for a spare if they're radials.
x2
Nothing to do with what they look like. Need replacing at about 5-6 years.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ooooh... I don't know if I would go to my RV dealer for tires though.
They are usually more expensive about everything and there is a good chance that the tires in their stock may already have more age on them due to low turnover.

Any decent tire dealer, if they don't have ST tires in stock, can usually get them in a day or two.
My favorite tire source, if youi have them in your area, remains America's Tire/Discount Tireday.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #13

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Our RV place does not sell tires and probably many do not. The question though becomes --- Which tires? There are so many bad reviews on so many tires that I don't know what we would be getting. Marathon is what we last had and those are switched to Carlisles, both with great and awful reviews. Some like their Maxxis.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #14

Registry
Hi: All... Last year I replaced the tires, Goodyear Marathon Radials, on our 2007 Escape 5.0. $75. ea and a pair of chrome wheels $75.ea with brass stems. I thought a good price from my RVTech. He ordered in the tires and they were dated within 6 months!!!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Tire life is also affected by the climate you live in, how the trailer is stored and for how long. In the desert southwest for example, if a trailer is stored in direct sunlight, the tires will deteriorate more rapidly. I agree that it should be kept as simple as possible, so the 'rule of thumb' of 8 years is a good one - regardless of what the tires look like. If it's in dry and high UV climate, maybe more frequently.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you for that info, Alf and Dennis. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Looking
New York
Thanks everyone. I have an appointment for inspection on Monday. I'll just have new tires put on as part of it. Having them wire the Forester for the 7 pin connector as well.

blwells45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This subject has just came up in the Yahoo Scampers group. Most are swearing by the Kuhmo Tires.

I personally feel the major "destructor" of tires (if they're kept off the ground and covered from the sun) is not age, it's #1 Overloading #2 Under-inflation....not in a certain order.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
My tires are designed to be on the ground, this is how they work.

Kidding aside, with our lightweight trailers, I too think that under inflation is definitely about the biggest wear factor. This is why manufacturers usually recommend max pressure, or at least not have them under inflated.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Congrats on the new egg Brian! And I agree with Alf's post #2!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires