Which brake control 04 Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Soon my wife and I will pick up our new to us 17 ft 2004 Casita freedom deluxe. One that other than pictures we bought sight unseen from a 82 year old gentleman. Does anyone know what brake control do they use in this year ?He didn't seen to know. I will be installing it on a 98 Nissan Pathfinder. So any suggestions or helpful hints installing would really be appreciated.
Bailey Boler
Soon to be known as
Bailey Casita
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Bailey,
Congratulations on your Casita purchase! I hope it is as clean as most have been. We have enjoyed many trips in "Nuestra Casita",
our FD Casita.
We were faced with the same problem about brake controllers. After investigating the choices and giving credit for the wisdom of those with lots of experience, we decided on the Prodigy. Never had the slightest trouble with it in many thousands of miles of travel. Another Prodigy would be the choice if the decision had to be made again!
They are sometimes offered for sale, so do some investigating!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Bailey,

The controller is not trailer specific, so you don't need to worry about getting the wrong one for your Casita.

I think you will find the overwhelming response will be for the Prodigy. Prodigy Brake Controller.

There are others. I am sure some folks will chime in with their experience with them.

I have only used the Prodigy and have been very happy with performance and durability.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Thanks for the reply's.The dear older gentleman I 'am buying the trailer from used it for one trip from Rice Tx to Portland Or to visit his 86 year old sister and then home to Missouri.So its in tip top shape.He intends on removing the brake control from his vehicle and giving it to me as well as sway bar, hitch attachments and basically anything else related to the trailer and it operation.So I being rather handy I plan on rough wiring for the control and not knowing if there is differents between the wiring.I have the installtion instuctions I downloaded for Prodigy which seems to be the one the factory installs. But I wasn't sure hence my question here
So needless to say we are extremely excited and can hardly wait to pick it up in early May.
He making return visit to Portland so thats where we are picking it up from.

Bailey Boler
Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't hesitate in the least to call Tekonsha tech support. They are very helpful and have access to a wealth of tow vehicle wiring diagrams and know where every controller wire should go. I'd call them even if I were using a different manf's controller.

Don't forget to put in the auto-reset circuit breaker at the battery. You don't want to need to get out to replace a fuse...

Also, DO NOT pull the breakaway brake switch pin to test the switch with the TV and TT connected; you might damage the controller.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita