Which tow vehicle to buy ??????? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2015, 04:39 AM   #57

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronn View Post
Wonder if anyone noticed that I said "how this helps" when I meant "hope this helps". Lol cuz it cost so much (20k) to buy new lol. Love my scamp tho!!!!!!!!!! But if you buy a 16 be prepared to put 14" tires and get sway bar for safe tow on little truck for sure!!! Pls let me know if you feel the same cuz I was scared out of my head when it was swaying with 13ths....
Kind of interesting of you saying you had sway with a 13'er behind your tug. Sure sounds to me that you didn't had enough TW or maybe had a rear bike rack with bikes, tire size won't make any difference to sway. My SD17 has a lot more TW than what yours has and my tug is pretty close to yours and I drive the same roads you mentioned. I don't use or need a sway control or WDH as it tracks great even with heavy cross winds. The last trip to Quartzsite with 30-40 mph side winds didn't make the trailer move one bit out of the trucks track. Think you really need to look into your trailer loading for 10% TW so you can get rid of the white knuckle drive.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #58

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronn View Post
Wonder if anyone noticed that I said "how this helps" when I meant "hope this helps". Lol cuz it cost so much (20k) to buy new lol. Love my scamp tho!!!!!!!!!! But if you buy a 16 be prepared to put 14" tires and get sway bar for safe tow on little truck for sure!!! Pls let me know if you feel the same cuz I was scared out of my head when it was swaying with 13ths....

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Dave has raised a good question regarding your tongue weight. I pull a 16' side bath with no AC etc. and stock sized tires. I pulled it for a number of years with a Subaru Outback and it was rock solid when towing in all sorts of crazy weather providing there is at least 10% of its total weight on the tongue. Never felt I needed to add a anti sway bar to that set up - except when there was not enough tongue weight on it.

My trailer is not dissimilar to yours although it does have a side bath but the issue with the layout is there is not a lot of storage ahead of the axle and that can present problems if one is trying to balance the load of the trailer.

You might want to take your trailer to a scale and check its loaded weight as I suspect your underestimating its total loaded weight by a few hundred pounds. That does not sound like much but with our small trailers and tugs it can make a big difference to how it tows if we don't make sure what we have stored inside it is well balanced & the trailer is sitting level when hitched & there is enough weight on the tongue.

On my current sightly bigger tug I have actually had to drop the tongue down just a little to achieve a bit more weight again on the tongue as I have moved as much as I can around inside the trailer to get the tongue weight up. With the larger tug I have found it actually needs a bit more weight on the tongue (12% total weight) than the smaller one did to achieve a solid tow in all towing conditions.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #59

Thanks for the info! Yes I have changed the way I load my trailer for sure and don't seem to have any sway issues. Although, I now keep 2 five gal water containers on my side dinette side (opposite the big fridge) and try to drive with small amounts of water in the rear tank. When I did have that scary sway I had a full water tank in the back. I think that is why it swayed at the time. It is too bad scamp puts the water tank in the rear. I also store my BBQ and some chairs and a LP

Old 10-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #60

Oops didn't finish. ....LP fire pit in the front bunk area and some chairs too. One last tongue weight addition, I do have two LP tanks in front. Yes plenty heavy in front now but still don't fill my water in rear all the way full... Do you? I don't have an AC either on roof.
Yes I look forward to weighing my space pod some day : )
Have a good one! A