Who makes the BEST Tires? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2008, 12:32 AM   #29

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Red face

I found out last summer when I needed to get a tire replaced, there are not a lot of choices for 13" wheels. The Scamp came with Good Year Marathons. Good Year Marathons seemed as if they are the best I could find. I did not think there was enough room to go to 14" wheels. I did go up to a little larger 13" tires, ST185/80R13's.
They were still being make in New Zealand (like the one's that came on the Scamp).

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 AM   #30

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
This article on tire aging just posted on ABCNEWS.com
Tire Danger: The Cryptic Code That Could Save Your Life
<span style="color:#ff0000">Warning!!!!! Warning!!!!!
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">There is a repeated pop up from that site that is sneaking through all my security settings. The site is grabbing your browsing history via a small rapidly repeating pop up window that opens and closes.

I could see sites I visited coming up in the little window including those that were recently deleted from my browsing history in the current session, yet are still available through the back button.

I'm sorry but any site that hijacks one's browser such that you can't easily close the windows or tabs needs to be pointed out, no matter how valuable the information may be.

</span></span>

Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #31

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Interesting Roy. I'm not getting anything like what you're describing. Is anyone else?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #32

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
FireFox tells me it's blocking an advertising popup of some sort, but all of the news sites do that. Being from a major news agency who depends on its advertising for its revenues, I doubt it's anything malicious.

Roger
Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I cleared my history and tried the page -- Firefox told me there was a blocked popup; when I unblocked it nothing changed, but it may have closed because my history was empty.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #34

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Interesting Roy. I'm not getting anything like what you're describing.
I went 2X. First time, other windows and were tabs open. To confirm, I revisited the site with a fresh browser session and nothing else running, finger was on my "programmed stop key".

Properties under browser history states 26 visits.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #35

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Bigfoot
anystate
Registry
Our 1986 17' Bigfoot came with 14" rims. The previous owner had a set of half-bald Load Range C bias-belt tires installed. They were half bald because of a camber issue. Still, the trailer pulled great behind the Sprinter. We had the axle re-bowed and an axle flip. The trailer still pulled great on the old tires. We would forget that it was behind us.

We thought and thought about new tires. The spring shop that repaired our axle suggested going to 15" rims but we had perfectly fine 14" rims. We were a bit concerned because with all of our stuff loaded in the trailer we might be approaching the load limit of Load Range C tires, and we planned to travel some rough unpaved roads in remote areas. So, we started shopping for Load Range D tires.

If any of you have looked, you know that finding Load Range D tires in a 14" rim size is not easy. It seems Kumho might be the only one and TireRack online the only place to buy them--when they have any. We waited over a month and were told by the very nice salesman that we might have to wait at least another month. If one of the tires goes bad, how easy would it be to find a replacement?

So, we decided to go to a 15" rim. We ordered Denmans in Oregon through a regional chain and steel 15" rims to match. With the 15" Load Range D radial tires installed, our Bigfoot began to wander right away. Is better the enemy of good? The old 14" half-bald tires were fine! Now, with the upgrade, we have problems.

We actually had the old rims and tires re-installed for a bit to check. No wandering. Re-install the new rims and tires--back to the wandering. The Load Range D tires are rated to 65 psi. A different branch of the tire store chain reduced the pressure to 50 psi, which helped. But wouldn't that make our Load Range D tires effectively Load Range C tires? I have since bumped up the pressure incrementally and am now at 60 psi. Driving is tolerable.

Who is the culprit? Switching from 14" to 15" tires? Switching from Load Range C to Load Range D tires? Switching from bias ply to radial ply tires? Who knows. We are on the road crossing the country and learning to live with a less-stable rig.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #36

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
You said, "So, we decided to go to a 15" rim. We ordered Denmans in Oregon through a regional chain and steel 15" rims to match. With the 15" Load Range D radial tires installed, our Bigfoot began to wander right away."

What is wandering? Most complaints are about trailer sway! Is wandering the same as sway? The causes of sway usually do not include tires. Sorry, just confused. BTW, I have new ST225/75R15, load range D tires on our Bigfoot 17. Our rig is stable. I guess what I am saying is there might be an additional factor besides the new tires.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #37

Tim, you said the new tires are radial, but are they ST-radials or P-radials?

I put a set of 15" P-radials on a Jayco 16' and it immediately started wandering and wallowing behind me -- Moved the P-radials to my truck and put ST-radials on the trailer and all was fine again.

BTW, be sure that after your axle "flip" the springs can travel no further than they did before the flip (like install a bumper on the frame) or you risk overextending the springs and breaking them, esp on curb side -- Been there, done that with the Jayco.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What I have been learning about trailer tires is that radials aren't the big deal that they are for cars. Bias-ply tires that are designed for trailers have thicker and stronger sidewalls that stand up to the movement a trailer makes while being towed. Perhaps having steel belt radials is a mistake?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
I put 185R14 8ply tires on my 1995 Bigfoot B17CB. The brand is Kumho tires.These tires are heavy and have a strong side wall. The trailer tows very well.
Chuck
Old 10-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #40

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1991 17 ft Bigfoot
anystate
Registry
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to be away for so long. We have been on the road for over a month now and have put almost 5k miles on the Denman 15" diameter tires [205SR75/15]. The wandering I was referring to I guess you could call sway, but not a sway that pulls the tow vehicle around. It's more just floating a few inches to the left then the same to the right and then back again.

I'm not knocking the Denman tires. They seem to be fine tires. After all of the miles we have put on I would say that the situation has improved. Perhaps we have simply adjusted, but the trailer seems to be more stable now, though not as stable as with the old 14" diameter tires [205D75/14].

As I mentioned, I really wanted the Kumho 205SR75/14 tires but they were not available. In fact, the Kumhos I ordered in August of this year will not be in stock until at least mid-December, so I have cancelled my order. Perhaps I should have ordered the more readily-available 195 width Kumho rather than the 205, but 205 was the stock width for the Bigfoot.

As an aside, after living out of our 17' Bigfoot for over 4 months now, we still love it. Pulling her with the Sprinter, both of them fully loaded with two sea kayaks atop the Sprinter and bikes hanging off the back of the Bigfoot, we have averaged 18.3 mpg of diesel over 5k miles.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #41

Since the Denman ST205/75-R15 tires are advertised to have "Specially design tread and large contact patch "Reduces Wander."" wander-reduction, that leads me to suspect that your tongue weight is a bit light or you are towing with tongue up instead of level or down.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #42

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I found out last summer when I needed to get a tire replaced, there are not a lot of choices for 13" wheels.
There aren't many choices for 12" Tires on my Fiber Stream, either.
I just replaced 2 year old 5.30 x 12" load range "C" because of sidewall cracking/checking. My tire guy says that they're all made in China now, and the quality is poorer than the older US made tires, and there's nothing he can do about it. I did get chrome valve stems and caps, as I had one cracked rubber stem on the old tires.

Tags
tires