Who makes the BEST Tires? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I am in the process of putting on a new axle on my 1980 Scamp. The old Axle ate tires like they were White Castle Hamburgers! So i am about to enter a brave new world and I will need tires to go with it. I have have good luck with Carlisle Radials and terrible performance from Discount Tires Bias Ply Cheapies- more to follow on that- So heres my question: Who make the best trailer tire (13") and about how many miles do you get on a set of them? How good are the Goodyear Marathons? I have a Galaxy brand that seems good but its its only got 1500 on it. I am sold on radials.
Waddya all think?
DanMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dan, BEST is subjective. AND, there could be a great brand of tire only available through certain dealers on the east coast, or Canada, etc.

I'm running Marathons... and I know some members have had trouble with them... just not me... knock on wood. What I didn't do, was spend the extra money on the spare. So, my suggestion is to spend as much as you can on the two tires, and just make sure the spare is good enough to get you to a tire store!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Nobody knows anymore; apparently a lot of companies are switching to China (Goodyear Marathons now made there). Saw Carlisles in Wally the other day in two sizes and they said 'Made in U.S.A.'. Folks on BulgeMobile groups like Maxxis. Folks on Casita group were recommending Kumhos (sp?). I'd be inclined to spend a little extra and get ST radials (and higher-rated stems).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just a point----I have seen tires which looked perfectly good, but had to be changed due to rot starting. Lots of trailer tires never see enough road travel to wear them out while traveling.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
It is difficult to know why some folks have tire problems. Our Bigfoot has 5 year old Marathons and they are fine. The tires were made in Canada, just like the trailer. Be sure to look at load rating, warranty, reputation of the company, date of manufacture, etc before you buy. Tire problems are often factory specific and may be limited to a certain time period. Tires are often discounted for a reason, so stay away from the cheapest ones. There is a lot of advice about tires on the forums, but no general agreement as to the best.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I've had good results with DURO tires. They seem to be a quality product.

There seems to be few choices out there.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / 2002 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport
I bought a pair of 13" Duro DS2100 radial trailer "special tires" here:
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/...er_tires_ST.htm

ST175/80R13 LRC

I also had them mounted on steel wheels and asked for metal valve stems, no probems.

I don't have more than a 100 miles on them but they look good so far.
rudock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi -- I'm sure glad someone else asked this question!

Two weeks ago we had a tire and rim go out on us, after going over a railroad track, into the state park on our 1st outing of the spring.

This was a scary experince, but we are thankful that we were going slow and not on the highway. As none of the tires stores there had our kind of tires and rims in stock, we made it home on the spare.

Since then I have been researching trailer tires and have been very concerned about all the negative reports on trailer tires on this forum and others. I want something safe for our family!

I 1st wanted to get Maxxis, but it is not sold locally, and I really wanted to shop local, although one can order them from the company online.

Just this morning, I ordered Denman tires from a local independant tire store ($76 each-out the door), as I have not seen many negative reports on them. My next choice would have been the Duro brand.

I asked for metal valves, and I would have liked to get them filled with nitrogen (as they would run cooler) but the tire shop dosen't have that yet.

So, I just thought I'd share the process I've been going through and would like to know if anyone has good/bad to say about Denman tires or any other tips, as I won't have them installed until Saturday.

Thanks, Maggie

PS Do a search with Goodyear or Marathon and you will find a lot of the older postings relating to tires including general info and not just that brand. You'll find more info than just searching tires.
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Marathon. That is what comes stock on Bigfoot TTs. IMHO, considering the importance of tires, they wouldn't put crap on their very expensive trailers.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #10

The older postings on Goodyear Marathon may be useless because reportedly Goodyear has moved the Marathon production to overseas plants.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #11

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unfortunately it's very difficult to determine exactly why a tire fails at speed. I still suspect that many of the "tire failures" reported are actually the result of a tire valve stem failure, or sidewall failure from running at speed with insufficient tire pressures. I have taken to putting steel valve stems on my tires; especially trailer and motorhome tires.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
There was a Law Suit for tire failure. It was determined that tires over Six years old, rot from the inside and can give a blow out. So even though the tire looks good and has good tread, it could be going bad.

The problem with this is you have no idea how long it has sat in a warehouse. The DOT code gives a good idea though.

On the DOT number, there are four sets of numbers. The date code is the last four numbers of the four sets. The first two numbers in that last set is the week it was made. The second two numbers is the year. So a number of DOT xxxx xxxx xxxx 1502 was made the 15th week in the year of 2002. (Third week of April ’02)

As Rog said, low pressure causes heat build up and can result in tire failure. Side walls blow.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
There was a Law Suit for tire failure. It was determined that tires over Six years old, rot from the inside and can give a blow out. So even though the tire looks good and has good tread, it could be going bad.

The problem with this is you have no idea how long it has sat in a warehouse. The DOT code gives a good idea though.

On the DOT number, there are four sets of numbers. The date code is the last four numbers of the four sets. The first two numbers in that last set is the week it was made. The second two numbers is the year. So a number of DOT xxxx xxxx xxxx 1502 was made the [b]15th week in the year of 20[b]02. (Third week of April '02)

As Rog said, low pressure causes heat build up and can result in tire failure. Side walls blow.
I have been to the Discount Tire store today and in a convoluted way I bought two Goodyear Marathons. In Santa Fe I asked to purchase two radial tires and they put on terrible bias ply that only lasted about 3,000 miles-at the store I specifically asked if they were radials because they were not labeled with an R on their size: 175 80D13 and the sales person said yes-either he did not know his businees or he did not tell the truth. Back home in Minnesota I went to the Discount Tire store in Stillwater- explained my frustration about the quality of the product and the Assistant Manager bought my two crappy tires back, informing me that they were in fact bias ply, and I used that money toward the aforementioned Marathons. My felling about Discount tire have turned 180 degrees.
The local trailer mechanic recommended the Marathons. He was not too fond of the Carlisles but he was not specific.
I am stoked to see how the Goodyear product holds up.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
I bought a pair of 13" Duro DS2100 radial trailer "special tires" here:
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/...er_tires_ST.htm

[b]ST175/80R13 LRC

I also had them mounted on steel wheels and asked for metal valve stems, no probems.

I don't have more than a 100 miles on them but they look good so far.
Which rim did you get? And what bolt pattern?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / 2002 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport
Quote:
Which rim did you get? And what bolt pattern?
Hi Greg,

Rim: Carlisle white eight spoke "wagon" wheels design, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern (for Dexter #9 wheel)
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/carli...sle%20Spoke.jpg
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/trailer_wheels.htm

(chrome lug nuts and cap shown in picture not included)
rudock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hey Ches,
What came on your Escape?
Did it come with metal valve stems, although I am not sure why this is important?
Quote:
Just a point----I have seen tires which looked perfectly good, but had to be changed due to rot starting. Lots of trailer tires never see enough road travel to wear them out while traveling.
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hey Ches,
What came on your Escape?
Did it come with metal valve stems, although I am not sure why this is important?
Rubber Stems---Good Year Marathons
Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
I am in the process of putting on a new axle on my 1980 Scamp. The old Axle ate tires like they were White Castle Hamburgers! So i am about to enter a brave new world and I will need tires to go with it. I have have good luck with Carlisle Radials and terrible performance from Discount Tires Bias Ply Cheapies- more to follow on that- So heres my question: Who make the best trailer tire (13") and about how many miles do you get on a set of them? How good are the Goodyear Marathons? I have a Galaxy brand that seems good but its its only got 1500 on it. I am sold on radials.
Waddya all think?

I looked at my six ply Marathons and they say 4 ply 2 steel +2 nylon sidewall. 2 ply for the tread
I called Goodyear and there are no six ply 13" trailer tires. Only 4 ply. The tires are load range C and that is as heavy as they get. Tires made in China. Who knows more about this?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Boy, this thread has been interesting to follow, regarding Goodyear Marathons. It seems that most people on this site seem to be happy with them, but it is not so on the Casita Travel Trailer forum. There is a general mistrust and many recounted horror stories posted about tire failures, mostly associated with Carlisle and Marathon tires. Well worth reading through if you are seriously interested in tire performance (or lack thereof).
There are some pretty scary accounts of problems posted there. Just my personal take, FWIW, is I wouldn't use either Carlisles or Marathons based on what I've read. Lots of input there, well worth perusing.
Happy travels!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #20

What apparently happened in the RV world was that Carlisle had a really bad run of tires (don't know why; prior to that they had a good reputation), so everyone stampeded to Marathons. Then Marathons got a bad rep. Now, Marathons are being made overseas, so the plants are different and who knows about the tires. I believe the same stories would be in the archives of this group if it hadn't been hacked.

BTW, the number of plies is no longer valid, which is why most will say "...ply rated". The key term is the Load Range.

Tags
tires