Why Towing Capacity is "Higher" in Europe - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #15

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Towing capacity on a particular car otherwise the same as its NA model is "higher" in Europe because towing speed limits are much, much lower than in North America.

See this link

First time I've seen actual data to support this argument. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #16

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
In addition, the European market has much higher fuel costs, at least 50% higher than ours, and small diesels are becoming more the norm than not.

Diesel + standard transmission = Better MPG's. or as they say it, fewer liters per 100/km.....
Check my math on this, but a web search shows today's price of gas (petrol) in Germany (as a European example) is 1.633 Euro/liter (not sure of the octane). Also from the web, today's monetary exchange rate is 1 Euro = $1.36 U.S., so that's $2.22 U.S./liter. Then converting liters to gallons, that comes out to $8.41/gallon. Last time I filled up, I paid $3.42/gallon for regular (87 octane). So gas in Germany is somewhere around 2.45 times more expensive than here. Ouch!

Interestingly, diesel in Germany today is 1.429 Euro/liter (about 12% less than petrol). Using Germany as an example, consumers in Europe have a big incentive to drive high-mileage diesel autos.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Consumers /Government are calling the shots in what vehicles are manufactured and how they are equipped .
I am going to suggest that the Government has nothing to do with it! Simple the law of supply and demand. Manufactures make regardless of what they are making what the vast majority of consumers want!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #18

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A friend of mine went looking for a new ... bare bones truck --.
Real world personal example. My wife and I went in search of a bare-bones domestic model car. Dealer lots were full of tricked-out, every option in the book models, but nothing bare bones. Tried to order one, got turned down at several dealers. One salesman finally leveled with us. The dealership profits on every option. Add a $500 option, and the dealer makes another $100 profit. More options - more cha-ching, cha-ching for the dealer! So why would they want to forfeit that extra profit if they can convince you that tricked-out is the only way you can buy the model you have your heart set on. Then he left us with some great advice. Find a dealer that sells fleet vehicles of that model in bulk to local municipalities and government agencies (which are usually bare-bones models), and ask them for the same fleet deal. We ended up going a different direction, but we remembered the advice, and several years later that's how we purchased our F250. The Ford fleet dealer we found showed us his cost (which was within $100 dollars of what Kelly Blue Book said it should be for our location), he added a flat rate $500 for his processing and paperwork, and we drove away with the truck and big smiles on our faces....
Old 06-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Also, almost all dealer now have their entire inventory listed on-line, including those on order but not yet delivered.. Saves a lot of time and hassle dealing with lower life forms (I.E. Car Sales Peeps)
Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
First time I've seen actual data to support this argument. Thanks.
You're quite welcome!

It may also interest you to know that the very term "Towing Limits" has a narrowly defined meaning over there. It's a simple expression of the following single standard, here quoting from The Caravan Club's very instructive tow vehicle buying guide at this link.

Quote:
Towing Limit (braked trailer)
A statement by the manufacturer giving the maximum weight of braked trailer the car will tow, when restarting on a gradient of, usually, 1 in 8.
Side note per "braked trailer" language above:
Trailers weighing 750kg or less do not by law require brakes over there; but as is true in NA , tugmaker requirements in that department will vary.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #21

California
Side Bar #2 750KG = about 1650 lbs, right about where a lot of state laws put their 1500 lb maximum weight for trailers without brakes. Must be something to it.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The reality is that towing speeds vary in Europe from country to country and within individual countries by road type. Though towing speeds may be lower on average in Europe we also must remember that much o the USA the max speed is 55 mph.

The major countries of Europe, like the USA and Canada, have higher highway towing speeds. French highways allow up to 81 mph, Germany up to 62 mph, UK up to 60 mph something that can't be done in any of the New England states.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Lots of speculation here but what is the truth?

There is a blurb on line about a guy who put a rig together over seas and traveled all over Europe. With his smallish car and 2,500lb trailer he drove on slow lazy back roads, mountains roads with switch backs, high speed expressways and achieved speeds up to 100kph. No problems.

He then got transferred to Canada and brought his rig with him. He carried on with his travels in North America and once again did the slow lazy back roads, mountains with switch backs, high speed expressways, and achieved speeds up to 100kph. Again with no problems.

He concluded that his rig drove and handled the same whether driving in Europe or in North America.

Apparently the comparisons of driving in these two different areas is a pretty much the same.
Attached Thumbnails
bmw 001.jpg  
Old 06-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #24

California
Sounds to me that rigs set up per more restrictive European standards can easily be driven on North American roads, nothing more..... If that's a pic of what he was driving in Europe, he is already pretty much top drawer in the TV department.

And I'll bet that he's not towing at 1 oz. over the manufacturers specifications.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Lots of speculation here but what is the truth?

There is a blurb on line about a guy who put a rig together over seas and traveled all over Europe. With his smallish car and 2,500lb trailer he drove on slow lazy back roads, mountains roads with switch backs, high speed expressways and achieved speeds up to 100kph. No problems.

I do not think anyone is speculating - the towing laws in Europe are in writting ;-)

Note re above the "up to 100kph" mentioned above translates to US speak to 60 MPH.
For reference - here are the UK towing rules which were missing off the original list.

Regarding brakes on trailers they are required in the UK on any trailer over 750kgs (1653 lbs) or any trailer that is more than half the curb weight of the tow vehicle which ever is less.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
And I'll bet that he's not towing at 1 oz. over the manufacturers specifications.
I bet he isn't either as in Europe the police do go by the tow vehicles towing specifications and will issue a ticket if your over.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #27

California
There's always those that try to throw enough "stuff" at a wall and hope that something sticks. In this case, nada....
Old 06-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #28

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Government Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I am going to suggest that the Government has nothing to do with it! Simple the law of supply and demand. Manufactures make regardless of what they are making what the vast majority of consumers want!
Air bags ,seat belts , CAFE standards , pollution standards , back up alarms,crash standards ,catalytic converters , collapsible steering wheels , padded dashboards .5 mph bumpers , head restraints ETC These are government standards (DOT) or equipment required to meet government (Safety standards or regulations ) Most came about over the objections of business and without any clamor from the general public . My father complained in the 60's about paying for and using seat belts . He thought they were unnecessary and dangerous. I believe that government regulations / rules often dictate or limit choices and add to the cost of a product ,for both good & bad