will I need a sway bar for towing stability? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #15

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
thanks for all the information, I didnt realize the importance of ball height and trailer leveling.
I have read many posts from the full size bronco forums of owners who have successfully towed full size tts but will proceed home attentively if I get this casita

Old 11-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #16

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
A guy I raced with trailered his race car everywhere with a bronco, no wdh, no sway setup, no problems. We trailered my '89 nissan pickup out of the Rockies with a '94 blazer, again no wdh, no sway, no problems. I'm not saying not to use these things as a safety device, I'm saying if you start out NEEDING them, you've already put yourself at risk, IMHO.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've towed 3 trailers a Sunline 15.5, a Casita 16, and a Scamp 16. The Casita was towed about 4,000 miles without a sway bar because we did not own the Casita.

The Sunline and Scamp were each towed initially without a sway bar for over 1,000 miles. Only the Sunline ever swayed. It swayed when I placed a generator on the rear bumper. It never swayed again after moving the generator. Since the Sunline was our first trailer, I asked about sway and anti-sway bars on the Internet.

As most would tell you, you want to set up for no sway without an anti-sway bar.

A poster wrote that he felt an anti-sway bar could be helpful in an emergency. Since they only cost about $60 I bought one.

In almost 3,000 days of travel over 13 years we've had 2 emergencies where the anti-sway bar MAY have helped. One was a true emergency stop where a truck pulled across the highway blocking our way causing an emergency stop. The second was the trailer coming off the ball due to a coupler failure.

As to anti-sway use, you must be careful not to over tighten it. Working properly it slides providing a braking action. We never find it necessary to loosen the anti-sway bar to back into a campsite.

I have seen a sway bar over tightened and bend the anti-sway bar's mounting plate at the ball.

To me it's inexpensive insurance that literally takes seconds to attach and adjust.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #18

Georgia
Update:
I bought the Casita 16' DL and towed it home with my Bronco. Didn't have a sway bar and no problems with sway or fishtailing.
I appreciate all of your input and advice, it really helped. For now, I'm undecided whether to buy and install a sway bar.
The Casita is overall pretty good shape but there are some things needing fixing like the hood fan, vent fan, replacing window dressings, etc. I'll be seeking advice on theses as I would like to do as much repair myself as I can.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Update:
I bought the Casita 16' DL and towed it home with my Bronco. Didn't have a sway bar and no problems with sway or fishtailing.
I appreciate all of your input and advice, it really helped. For now, I'm undecided whether to buy and install a sway bar.
The Casita is overall pretty good shape but there are some things needing fixing like the hood fan, vent fan, replacing window dressings, etc. I'll be seeking advice on theses as I would like to do as much repair myself as I can.
You may not need a friction anti-sway bar, but you'll love it if you get one!
They are certainly NOT designed to mask any problems, but to enhance towability. I also prefer towing a short trailer with a commensurate short wheelbase TV, with or without sway control!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #20

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
For now, I'm undecided whether to buy and install a sway bar.
My Fiber Stream came with a friction Anti-Sway bar installed when I bought it. My Honda Odyssey manual recommended using one for trailers over a certain weight, but under the towing capacity limit.

Over the 9 years I have owned it, I find it is not necessary for general towing. It also needs to be disengaged when towing in the rain. However, I find it useful to me for extra stability when towing through areas with high cross wind conditions, and only in this circumstance.

So my practice is to connect the ends but leave the tightening lever loose. It is installed but has no friction this way, and has no effect. Then when I tow through some of the local mountain passes with high wind, I can quickly pull off the road, tighten the lever, and continue on my way.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile What's a sway bar?

I have towed since 1972. First a 20' sailboat with a Toyota Crown, then a Jeep Cherokee. Sold the boat in 2005 because I just didn't use it.
Then I have towed my FGRV since 2009. Have taken it to Arizona four times, all over Washington, to Cranbrook, BC and have never even felt the need for any kind of hitch accessory, neither WDH nor SB. Our Trillium tracks like it is part of our Subaru.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Then I have towed my FGRV since 2009. Have taken it to Arizona four times, all over Washington, to Cranbrook, BC and have never even felt the need for any kind of hitch accessory, neither WDH nor SB. Our Trillium tracks like it is part of our Subaru.
Yea its why we Love our Subaru's! Can also attest they do indeed seem to be far more stable towing our small trailers in windy conditions than some of the other tow vehicles. While towing in Arizona last winter a semi in front of me ended up sideways on the road way due to high winds.... I wasnt aware it was windy until I stop the car to get out to check that the driver was ok.... desert road no trees to see swagging - sand was wet due to a recent rain so nothing blowing around....

Just wish they would make something with a little more tow capacity.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #23

Georgia
I do see that the casita has a metal "trailer tongue ball plate" bolted on the rt side of the frame close to the tongue. I found a EAZ-LIFT installation instruction manual among the other original trailer manuals,
All the other parts of the EAZ-LIFT sway control unit are missing. Where would I get these? Is there a less expensive/better alternative? Should I try to get these from somewhere or leave it alone.

One other thing: I was at harbor freight the other day and see they have a "trailer sway control kit" for on sale $29.00 some good reviews on their site.
what else in needed on the TV hitch to use these devices?