wind deflector improves gas mileage - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
according to the directions, draw a line from the roof top to the trailer roof, that is the angle. The video show ins different angles for different trailers. See here for product http://www.icondirect.com/aeroshield-wind-deflector/

Old 11-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #16

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
How did you go about finding the optimum angle?
It was trial and error, mostly guesswork. I basically had a look to see how to get the angle of the deflector to line up with the front top edge of the trailer. At first it was too high for about 300 KM, which gave me a value of about 15.9 L/100 km. Then I put it down lower, but my supporting arms were so long that the rail brackets would not stay in position, resulting in a too-low wind deflector that pointed at about half way up the trailer front, half way between the spot that the wind would hit if there was no deflector and the top of the trailer. Even this worked pretty well, and I ended up the first day with a 14.1 L/100KM for 950 total KM, including the initial bad angle. The morning of the second day I broke off the arms (hence the ugly breaks at the bottom of the arms in the pictures) using a hammer and a rock, since we were on the road and didn’t have better tools, to make a shorter arm. The holes in the arms allow me to adjust the height, but it turned out that I guessed mostly right and got decent results the rest of the way. It is possible that a slight height adjustment might give better results, but it is now only costing me about 3 – 4 L/100 KM to tow the trailer, as compared to the gas mileage we get when not towing. I figure that is about the lowest cost I could reasonably expect considering I am towing with a minivan. Perhaps a bigger truck would not notice any difference when towing, but we don’t want to buy a truck just to tow the trailer. This year was the most we have camped, at about 45 nights, but that still leave 320 days a year when we are not towing. If we end up going close to full time travel after I retire, that might be a different calculation.

Hope that helps,
Rick G

Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #17

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Something like this? (Yellow)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deflector.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	66667
Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
That was more than just a wind deflector. It includes a full aero kit for the TV and the trailer. Everything that is green was added. While keeping bugs off is a benefit, the cost still seems a bit high for RV use.
I would agree if I had paid several hundred dollars (or thousands in the case of custom units for big trucks) for one. However, the total cost for my device was well under $50, including the paint. That paid for itself the first 1˝ days I drove it, and after that we were saving money. It is true that the home made deflector is probably uglier that a manufactured one would be, and I would have liked to taper the leading edge but I couldn’t be bothered when it came right down to it. However, in this case I think it was still well worth it.
Rick G.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Something like this? (Yellow)
Attachment 66667
yes. If I didn't have to open my rear van door, I would put it as far back as it could be reasonably placed. On the other hand, I doubt a few inches makes much difference when the wind is blowing at 60 miles an hour (which is what you get on a calm day at highway speeds).

Also, in your case I would be tempted to put a deflector in front of your air conditioner. It looks to me like the air conditioner would block a fair bit of wind. However, it wouldn't necessarily have to go over the top of the air conditioner; you could probably deflect wind around the sides just as effectively. Rick G
Old 11-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #20

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Just might have to try this.(yellow)Click image for larger version

Name:	Deflector.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	66669
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Just might have to try this.(yellow)Attachment 66669
yes. I think that bugs are a good indication of wind blockages. If you have a spot on your trailer that gets splattered with bugs, it is a spot where the wind is smashing into the trailer instead of flowing over it. I found that my roof mounted solar panel, which has about a 2 inch thick frame, was one such spot that always seemed to be splattered with bugs along the front edge. After I got tired of cleaning it all the time, I made a tiny wind deflector that solved the issue.

Rick G