Wireless Rear View Camera - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Wireless Rear View Camera

Can anyone recommend an after-market wireless rear view camera that can also be used to help with solo hitch-ups? I've looked at a few, and the user reviews are useless! Best I've ever used tells me nothing about the unit.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You're talking two different requirements.

A rear view camera typically has a field of view of 160-180 degrees wide to observe traffic behind the rig, and a long focus range.

A hitch/tailgate camera (built into a lot of pickup tailgates) only has maybe a 30 degree field of view and is angled downward behind the vehicle in order to see the ball and hitch coming together.

One camera won't do both.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I travel solo, and I align using one of those a "magnetic trailer alignment kits." It is just foam balls on a metal antenna. You put one of the hitch and one on the trailer coupler. It is super easy to align it. In fact, If I travel with someone, I still use the kit because it is much easier than having someone guide you in:

here is a link to Harbor Freight.... though, I have seen these other places too. Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit
brettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You're talking two different requirements.

A rear view camera typically has a field of view of 160-180 degrees wide to observe traffic behind the rig, and a long focus range.

A hitch/tailgate camera (built into a lot of pickup tailgates) only has maybe a 30 degree field of view and is angled downward behind the vehicle in order to see the ball and hitch coming together.

One camera won't do both.
My Toyota has a good rear-view camera and with some practice I can use it to hook up the trailer very well, so I don't know if it is strictly true that one camera can't do both [functions]. No doubt a specialized hitch camera might be better for hooking up the trailer but I would also consider the benefits of a rear-view camera in everyday driving. It's a great feature to have. Unfortunately since my camera is OEM I cannot help with specific aftermarket products.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Oregon
My Taco has the same camera; it only functions in reverse and targets the hitch area. Good for maybe 20 ft behind me (has range lines.)

I use the rear view camera on my trailer to spot traffic overtaking me and for backing into it's narrow storage space. It's mounted above the rear window and active anytime my marker lights are on.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Go to etrailer.com. I use the PEAK camera and got it for about $100. I include a flickr link to my setup. I would NOT be without a rearview camera for my Scamp. I dont use it to hook up my trailer as I can see well enough. When I have my bikes it's a little tougher but it's ok.

I would prefer a "wired" camera. The newer wireless may be better, but this one operates on 2.4 gHz and I do have sporadic intereference. In fact, one time we were in Foley, AL without my trailer but the monitor was still on. We went by one business and I started picking up their sports channel!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57629562084569

This post may be worthless to you, it's the best I can offer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
Can anyone recommend an after-market wireless rear view camera that can also be used to help with solo hitch-ups? I've looked at a few, and the user reviews are useless! Best I've ever used tells me nothing about the unit.

Vic
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
I use a Blue Tooth "babysitting" camera as a rear view device, principally because I can view it on my tablet or smartphone without hooking up anything in the car. And, of course, you can change the viewing device without changing the camera. The cameras are widely available with self-contained batteries that will last about an hour, or you can plug them into various sources depending on the actual device. I plug mine into a 12 VDC outlet in our trailer. I have found various models online for $18 up.

Not saying this is the solution for you, but it is certainly worth considering as an alternative to traditional back up cameras.
ravensrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #8

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:

Vic
A very effective, inexpensive hitchup mechanism are the telescoping tennis balls! Glow In The Dark Back Up Balls Single Person Trailer Alignment Hitch Trailers | eBay. And they're wireless too!
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Garmin BC30

I bought the Garmin as I already had the GPS to work with it. I can add up to 4, but the are $100 each. Works good, but it takes some practice. I wish I had a larger screen now.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #10

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
I spent about $56,000 dollars on my rear view camera. It works great and the best thing about it is they threw in a new 2015 Ram Laramie Limited for free.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
My Toyota has a good rear-view camera and with some practice I can use it to hook up the trailer very well, so I don't know if it is strictly true that one camera can't do both [functions]. No doubt a specialized hitch camera might be better for hooking up the trailer but I would also consider the benefits of a rear-view camera in everyday driving. It's a great feature to have. Unfortunately since my camera is OEM I cannot help with specific aftermarket products.
I do wish there was a way to turn on the Tacoma rear view camera all the time. Hitching with just reverse works, but the ability to see as you pull forward would help. That is where the add on camera I had in the RAV4 was nice...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I do wish there was a way to turn on the Tacoma rear view camera all the time. Hitching with just reverse works, but the ability to see as you pull forward would help. That is where the add on camera I had in the RAV4 was nice...
Wonder how much of a Pandora's Box it would be to find the power line and relocate it along with a switch.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Wonder how much of a Pandora's Box it would be to find the power line and relocate it along with a switch.
I would never suggest going to another forum with that question, on the chance that it would make someone feel unwanted.. but if I were to....

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...sh-mod.179242/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...a-hack.333847/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-camera.42644/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...switch.204199/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...y-work.171323/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I would never suggest going to another forum with that question, on the chance that it would make someone feel unwanted.. but if I were to....

and I thought the fix would be buried in the dash, dang that forest and tree thing.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Following thread.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Jon,
Some time ago, I bookmarked this:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...-camera.42644/
I think it might be what you are looking for. I have not modified mine, but thought about it a lot.
Paul
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:29 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner. No cameras or other niceties at all. I am looking for something after market.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
I have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner. No cameras or other niceties at all. I am looking for something after market.

Vic
Love my Tadi Brothers setup. Wireless running on a different frequency than Bluetooth, so no interference. I use the clip-over-the-mirror monitor. Very easy company to work with.

7-Inch LCD Mirror Monitor

Old 10-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #19

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
I use two camera setups

I use the PEAK wireless camera on the inside back window of the trailer, plugged into 12v; and place the monitor on the truck dash. I like knowing what's behind me, it's the law in some states, and it also comes in handy when I'm backing up.

Then I use an iBall hitch camera which is so convenient because the camera has its own battery. Just make sure to put the system away before traveling so you don't lose the camera; good strong magnet, but not intended for road use. I also check the trailer lights by placing this camera behind the trailer 4-5'.

I was lucky to find each of these in very good used condition on eBay.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #20

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:

Vic
: my wife says you can get interference from other sources, she says you expect to one thing and your looking at Harbour Freight or something along that scale.
She hard wire ours, amongst a lot other items like 1000W inverter.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote