Wiring 04 Highlander to 7 pin Bargman connector - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Gary you still need the converter and the flat four -pin connector. That takes care of the separate stop and turn light problem. The flat four-pin plug connects to a corresponding receptacle that is part of the kit. That way you can tow both four and seven pin trailers without an adaptor.
I did not use a relay to cut off the 12-volt power supply to the trailer. I just turn the frig off or pull the plug when I stop longer than it takes to fill the fuel tank. Some newer Toyota trucks come with that feature as part of the towing package.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #16

Trailer: X-treme Lite 160
Quote:
Strangely, there is no fuse in the Sienna underhood box which simply goes on with the ignition switch. I used one which supplies the engine computer, but if I were to do this again, I would run an extra wire from my relay/breaker area through the firewall along with the brake controller wires, and tap into the under-dash fuse panel, where there would be a more appropriate source.

To tap in, I used a device (I got mine at Wal-Mart, following a description posted in another forum) which has two blades just like a fuse, two sockets on top to hold the fuse which should be plugged in there and an additional one, and a lead to supply the added circuit. No original wires are cut or tapped. while I used a different brand, it is like the Tapa-Circuit shown in the Go-RV online catalog.
I used one of those enormous relays which looks like an old Ford starter solenoid. I bought it at an RV store, but they're really commonly available. For an example, see page 100 of the Go-RV online catalog, where it is called a "dual battery switch". I used the four-post style so I could run a ground wire, rather than grounding the control power through the relay mounting bracket (me and my ground wires again...) An actual starter solenoid (relay) is not suitable, because they are not intended to stay on continuously. Any continuous-duty relay of sufficient current rating would work, and if I were to do it again I would pick a more compact and lighter unit.
I used 10 ga for both black and white. I couldn't readily find 10 ga blue-insulated wire, and it really isn't needed anyway. Each brake magnet uses about 3 or 4 amps at full force (they're very standard), and the Boler only has one axle (thus two brakes) so it only needs 6 to 8 amps. I believe that 12 ga is lots, and that's what I used; Cequent (the Prodigy controller manufacturer) specifies minimum sizes in their wiring instructions of 14 ga for up to two axles, and 12 ga for three or four axles. Within the trailer, the brake wiring is only 14 ga anyway, and with only one axle I believe I have suitable capacity. I used the recommended (by Cequent) 20 amp breaker to supply the brakes, and (I think) 30 amps for the charge line.
I completed my wiring this weekend. I think it turned out great . Thanks to Brian, Craig and Benny for all your imput. I love this forum.
Hopefully I will get the Scamp back Tuesday from Maaco. I did most of the prep work and they agreed to paint it for $400.00. I'll post some photo's of the wiring job.
Thanks to all again!
Gary Little
Attached Thumbnails
4_flat_and_7_pin_sockets_on_home_made_bracket.JPG   circuit_to_energize_relay.JPG  

Old 03-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
I completed my wiring this weekend. I think it turned out great . Thanks to Brian, Craig and Benny for all your imput. I love this forum.
Hopefully I will get the Scamp back Tuesday from Maaco. I did most of the prep work and they agreed to paint it for $400.00. I'll post some photo's of the wiring job.
Thanks to all again!
Gary Little
More photos
Attached Thumbnails
charge_and_ground_wire_to_battery.JPG   relay_and_auto_circuit_breaker.JPG  

Old 06-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Rocky R.
This last weekend, I installed a 7-pin Bargman plug on our 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I used the same kit that Craig Nold used. Got that and a Valley Oddyssey brake controller from etrailer.com. Also installed a cell phone antenna, ham radio equipment and antenna and XM radio at the same time. We are looking at getting a fiberglass trailer sometime next year. We really like the Escape but at 17 feet we are not sure if the 3500 pound tow rating of our vehicle will handle it. We most likely will go with a 16 foot Casita or Scamp. I have attached a few photos of the work I did.
Attached Thumbnails
new_7_pin.jpg   12_volts.jpg  

Circuit_breakers_and_fuses.jpg   Valley_Odyssey_and_new_12_volt_power.jpg  

Old 06-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #19

Quote:
This last weekend, I installed a 7-pin Bargman plug on our 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I used the same kit that Craig Nold used. Got that and a Valley Oddyssey brake controller from etrailer.com. Also installed a cell phone antenna, ham radio equipment and antenna and XM radio at the same time. We are looking at getting a fiberglass trailer sometime next year. We really like the Escape but at 17 feet we are not sure if the 3500 pound tow rating of our vehicle will handle it. We most likely will go with a 16 foot Casita or Scamp. I have attached a few photos of the work I did.

That really looks neat Rocky. You did a fine job.You are probably right about the Escape. I looked at a nice 17' Casita this week but the tongue weight is around 335#. The Highland tongue wt. max. is 250# according to the dealer.

Thanks,
Gary