Wiring for 7-way, brake controller, Seattle area - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
From Escape user manual:

The breakaway switch is located on the trailer tongue. It has a steel cable (lanyard) fastened to it which will reach to the frame of the tow vehicle. This device is one of the most vital components on your trailer’s braking system. It automatically applies the trailer brakes if the tow vehicle and trailer become uncoupled while in motion. The breakaway switch operates when a pull pin linked by the cable to the tow vehicle is
separated from the switch. When the switch closes, power for brake application is supplied by the onboard trailer battery. The steel lanyard must be anchored to the tow vehicle when the trailer is hitched up.
Secure this cable loop to the permanent frame of the tow vehicle, or a part of the hitch that is nonremovable.
DO NOT FASTEN THE BREAKAWAY SWITCH LANYARD TO THE HITCH BALL OR ANY OTHER REMOVABLE PART OF THE HITCH.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
prodigy RF

I was told by a reputable trailer hitch business that a Prodigy RF will work with just a 12 volt (black) line going to the 7 way plug .The RF unit has a gyro in it knowing when tow vehicle is braking and it supplies juice to the brake line . Otherwise one must buy a brake controller and find the plug and play fitting and then hook it up . Since i didn't know how long I will keep my 07 Sequoia my 21 Escape can be pulled by any vehicle that has a 7 way without its own brake controller . Also my Sequoia did not have the Trailer towing package so I had to go with a RF unit anyway .I hope this clarifies the brake controller dilemma.Jim

BTW look up Prodigy RF on you tube to get an idea of how it works
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Every commercially available trailer breakaway system offered on the market for years for electric trailer brake equipped trailers and installed by ALL the trailer manufacturers on their trailers RV or otherwise that have electric trailer brakes has it's own battery dedicated to the breakaway system. That battery must be charged over time. The power to charge the dedicated trailer break away system battery comes from the 12 volt power line supplied through the 7 way "RV" plug.
This is simply not the case.
More internet BS. Like the national speed limit for trailers is 55 MPH and it's against the law to travel with the propane turned on.
Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:16 PM   #44

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I was told by a reputable trailer hitch business that a Prodigy RF will work with just a 12 volt (black) line going to the 7 way plug .The RF unit has a gyro in it knowing when tow vehicle is braking and it supplies juice to the brake line . Otherwise one must buy a brake controller and find the plug and play fitting and then hook it up . Since i didn't know how long I will keep my 07 Sequoia my 21 Escape can be pulled by any vehicle that has a 7 way without its own brake controller . Also my Sequoia did not have the Trailer towing package so I had to go with a RF unit anyway .I hope this clarifies the brake controller dilemma.Jim

BTW look up Prodigy RF on you tube to get an idea of how it works
But the 7 way has to have a brake wire and has to have the power line to it or it couldn't control the braking. The only thing I can see that the Rf unit does is save wiring the brake controller itself, but the vehicle still has to be wired to power brakes on the trailer. Otherwise you could plug into a 4-way and do the same thing.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #45

In fact this diagram shows the RF unit requires the following leads from the 7 pin socket on the TV. I see very little advantages over a conventionsl controler.

BLUE BRAKE
RED BRAKE LIGHT
BATTERY
GROUND
https://www.google.com/search?q=prod...cHTVUfzWoLM%3A

Only difference is mounting a controler in the TV instead of programming one using the hand held device powered by the cigerett lighter.

Joe
Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #46

In fact this diagram shows the RF unit requires the following leads from the 7 pin socket on the TV. I see very little advantages over a conventionsl controler.

BLUE BRAKE
YELLOW BACKUP LIGHT
BATTERY
GROUND

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Only difference is mounting a controler in the TV instead of programming one using the hand held device powered by the cigerett lighter.

Joe