wiring harnesses - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: Ramsey
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
wiring harnesses

As a newbie to the fiberglass forum, I am beginning the transition process from a pop-up to a hard body unit as discussed here at Fiberglass RV. I currently have a 4 prong harness. What might i expect to find on the type of trailers discussed in these forums? What should i prepare myself for? Questions i should ask prospective seller? I would prefer not to travel a considerable distance, find a desirable camper only to find i don't have a proper harness.
Amy thoughts would be appreciated.
Ramsey
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
That's a pretty common situation. I went to pick up my trailer thinking that because it didn't have brakes it would just have a 4 pin connector like my truck. Wrong A quick trip to a local big box store and I bought a 7 pin Hopkins adaptor plug. It plugs into your existing 4 pin and also has a 4 pin outlet on the adaptor as well as the 7 pin connector. My Scamp has a 7 pin connector, my bike trailer has a 4 pin. Either one now plugs in to the Hopkins adaptor without any fuss. The Hopkins adaptor will give you your existing lighting functions. It has the extra leads in case you want to hook up brakes or a charging line.

So I guess the bottom line is that if you have the adaptor plug with you you'll be prepared for most situations.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I wired my 7 pin connectors to the tow vehicle and the trailer, I just left the 4 pin connectors attached off to the side so I can use either. No need for an adapter.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ramsey. I'd always suggest a prospective buyer download and print the Buyers Checklist found in the document center here: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Be sure to find out what size hitch ball you need. It will probably be 1-7/8 or 2 inch. If in doubt, take both and if you need to buy both... take back the one you don't need.

Ask what the hitch heigth is. You'll need to tow the trailer as level as possible and may need a different ball mount (stinger!)

Hope this helps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The other big thing to look for is whether or not the trailer you purchase has brakes. If so you may need to have the brake wiring added to your tow vehicle in order to use the trailers brakes. The brake wire is often not a standard part of the tow wiring installed at the factory and you will need to get a brake controller set up in your vehicle before you pick up the trailer. Even if the trailer doesnt have brakes make sure you check your owners manual to see if your tow vehicle requires them on a trailer over x so many pounds - some require them on trailers as light as 1000lbs - which most of the 13' here are well over.

Happy hunting!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #6

Name: Ramsey
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
great feedback on my wiring harness query. You also anticipated what would have been some of my followup questions.... hitch height, brakes.....thanks again for the good info. I hope to help others in the future like you're helping me......
Ramsey
Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #7

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
What is involved to add the brake wireing? Im going to be looking for a 16 or 17 footer, presently my Rav4 has the 4 plug and I can pick up the 7 plug adapter.

thanks
deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
What is involved to add the brake wireing? Im going to be looking for a 16 or 17 footer, presently my Rav4 has the 4 plug and I can pick up the 7 plug adapter.

thanks
deryk
You need to attach three wires (plus ground) to a brake controller and then run a wire back to the 7 pole plug. There may be a plug in adapter for your tow vehicle.

Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Tom, I watched the video and doesnt look too complex. Im just going to need one that will allow me the use of 4 or 7, I have asmall camping trailor I built that uses a 4.

deryk
Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Tom, I watched the video and doesnt look too complex. Im just going to need one that will allow me the use of 4 or 7, I have asmall camping trailor I built that uses a 4.

deryk

There are 7 to 4 pin adapters readily available.
Seven-Way RV Blade to 4-Wire Flat Adapter
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:

thanks
deryk
I've added both a brake & charge line to my RAV4. While not all that huge a technical project, it will take a full day. Since you already have the 4 pin plug, you won't need Toyota's Wiring Harness Kit but you will still will have to pull most of the driver's side panels to run the cables for the brake & charge lines. There is a web page I found useful here. By the way, your RAV4 should be the V6 with tow package, otherwise it is only rated at 1500 lbs trailer weight.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Jon, yeah I have the v6 rated for 3500lb towing...only reason I bought it lol
Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If you didn't already know, there are connectors that have a 7 pin rv and 4 flat built into them. No adapter needed, then.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote