Wiring hook up to truck on a 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Scamp 19ft 5th wheel
Colorado
Registry
Wiring hook up to truck on a 5th wheel

We just purchased a 2008 Scamp 5th wheel. We love it. The first owner removed the hardware that is used to hold the extra slack in the brake/electrical plug-in cord. I believe there is some type of spring that attaches to the trailer---- to keep the cord from striking the road. Would anyone know how this works and is set up? Thanks----Jerry
Jerry in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Jerry
The cable on both of my trailers is attached to the trailer frame work under the upper deck and drops straight down the power plug. I leave a ball and hitch in the reciever and the cable slack rests on the ball and hitch. On one trailer the PO attached some bungie cord to hold up the slack. On the other trailer, I have enough slack in the drop down for normal towing. If I have to really make a tight backing turn I sometimes disconnect the power cable.
I use heavy duty tie straps to attach the power cord to the trailers upper deck. If the cable gets in a real bind they will break free before tearing things up. Also one PO had covered the cable in foam pipe insulation to prevent chaffing on his tale gate.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Go to a truck stop or big truck dealer, tractor-trailers use a big spring that hangs on a bracket on the back of the cab and has clamps to attach it to the air brake lines and light cord.You may be able to make one of those work. The spring is about 1" or so diameter, maybe around 12" long or a little more. I probably have one somewhere but can't put my hands on it right now. They are also used under trailers that have sliding tandems to keep the air lines from dragging in the road.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Scamp 19ft 5th wheel
Colorado
Registry
Smile Thank you Both for your help!

Eddie: The bungie cord sounds like it will work just fine for the short term & it may work so well I would just leave it.

Bob: I will visit a local truck stop and see what the spring and clamp look like. I seems like this would make for a good looking setup.

Thanks again for the quick help: Jerry
Jerry in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Why not run a proper fifth wheel harness on the tow vehicle? No rubbing tailgate paint, no springs to hold the cable, and you can turn as tight as you want to.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Just put mine in today. 20 minute job if you already have a 7pin connector at your receiver. Disconnect the connector from the back of your 7 pin, put this harness between your vehicle harness and the connector at your receiver. No splicing involved. Drill a 2" hole in the bed and feed it through. $100 harness from bargman.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote