Yet ANOTHER tow vehicle thread! Advice????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Yet ANOTHER tow vehicle thread! Advice?????

Crap guys, I don't know what to do. I have the "dreaded" Element. You know the car that was made to haul four burly guys to the beach with all their sports equipment, food, drinks, etc. EXCEPT it can only tow 1500 pounds, and the weight limit inside the car is 685 lbs (approx.). Put me, hubby, 2 pugs and a 50 lb screen room in the back of the car, and we're already at almost 500 lbs!

I belong to the Element Owners Club and have read all their opinions. And I've read as many of the towing threads as possible on here. But I'm nervous---now that I've finally gotten to camp in the Pacer, I'm learning what kind of camper I am----------------I'm not a minimalist---I like all my fun cutesy stuff, LOVED my screen room with my camp kitchen inside, tend to take way too much food, etc. And I read a post on here that really hit home---I want most of my extra "stuff" to be in the tow vehicle. So that the Pacer is camping ready when we stop. I don't want to be hauling all the stuff out before I can make supper, take a nap, whatever.

So, we're thinking about changing our tow vehicle. I'm keeping my E, because I love it. My husband has a Civic that he doesn't mind parting with.
I've read the Truck vs. Jeep vs. SUV vs. Van vs. Just Stay Home (J/K) threads.

I know you can't tell me what to do, but I'm leaning towards a truck. I can put most of the stuff in the back and be done with it. Is this stupid??? We are going to be paying for it at the pump, aren't we???? And who knew there were soooooo many trucks out there???

And there's always that possibility of going to alittle bit bigger camper sometime in the future. So I'm thinking something with a 3500-5000 lb. towing capacity.

I'm sorry for starting yet another thread about tow vehicles, but if anyone has anything else they can add about pros and cons, best mileage trucks, (I've been reading the articles, but would like to hear from a real person), or anything else I may not have thought of----I'd sure appreciate it.
We'll probably start looking next week.

Thanks seasoned campers---you're the best!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I tow my self contained 16" Scamp SD with my 07 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl. PU. It does very well and the mpg while towing is about 18.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:51 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks, John! That's better than the 14 mpg the Element got when we towed! (I think we need to learn to slow down, and easy on the start/stops!)
Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Eric B tows a Perris Pacer with his Element. Don't know if the weights are the same for the trailers or the same power on the Elements either... could you ask him.

Gina D. used to tow a 13' Burro with her Element....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Mahindra is set to release their compact diesel pickup truck in December. They expect 30 MPG and a 5,000 lb tow rating. That might be my next purchase, their tractors have a solid reputation.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Along with the other problems with the Element, it doesn't have much ground clearance. Seeing as the OP is in Nebraska, there's probably a fair chance that they might want to camp in some National Forests. I tow with a AWD 6 cylinder Ford Escape and have been able to get my 17' Casita down lots of dirt roads, including some places where I probably shouldn't have been. It has a 3500 lb. towing capacity.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I wouldn't pay much attention to the advise on TV that you receive here. Everyone has their own agenda.

For what its worth, i will tell you what I tell all my friends when they ask me to recommend a product.

My advice is to 1) know what you are going to tow, 2) know what other equipment you will take along, and 3) go take a test drive in each of the available candidates.

Their will be one that has "I"M YOURS" written all over it.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Go with a truck.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
A pick up truck with a shell is what we prefer. Longer wheel base, haul more stuff. With a light trailer like yours a 4 cylinder would work. A V6 would be peppier in the mountains. We have a Jeep Liberty that is set up for towing but we like the longer wheel base (smoother ride) and big box of the truck.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #10

Registry
Thanks folks! Your input is helpful! Love Kevin's short and to the point!

Tom, reading your posts elsewhere was what really got me thinking about the truck, as we were thinking about a Jeep Liberty, too.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
We towed a 13' Scamp with a Element for 2 years with no problem.
Make sure you have trailer brakes and a tranny cooler and you should be fine.
Never filled the fresh water tank though . Water is around 8 lbs a gallon.

I found the element to be a nice TV for a 13' .Good milage and sometime I forgot I was towing.W

Now I have a 17.5 Bigfoot with a Highlander as a TV . I know I'm towing something ......
Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #12

Registry
Decision is made: 2010 Honda Ridgeline (now sitting in my garage!)
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Sweet! Congrats!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 17 ft.5 ft
Nice
Bill A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #15

Registry
You know me, Robin, when I decided it's time--IT'S TIME!!!!! (like getting Bean last year!)

Wish I were going to be in Colorado with you guys in Sept.