You should add a TPMS to your shopping list! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM   #41

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Thanks, Bob, but you are giving me too much credit. The tire patch I carry and used then was the rope patch that you push into the tire hole from outside. The big deal was that I did not even need to jack the rear end up and use the spare, only needed to roll the rig a little to make the puncture accessible. So it all delayed me about 40 minutes. Thank TPMS.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #42

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I have some of that stuff here somewhere yep looks like rope but this guy had the clamp thing to break the bead and the tire irons in the back of his truck! he was so broke he carried 2 gals of gas also!

strange character I could pay him on Friday he wouldn't show up on mon.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #43

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
TST claims that the display will alarm when it has lost the signal from a sensor. Mine is not alarming for loss of signal. I have emailed TST will let you know what their reply is.
I have an update on this now…

I talked to TST tech support and found that the “alarm” for loss of sensor signal at the monitor is not the same as the other alarms. The way it works is described below. It is not the ideal in my opinion but TST pointed out that they now include a repeater is all their kits so there is practically no chance of signal loss unless the equipment malfunctions. Again let me say that I have not found a need for the repeater with a small trailer. But I do have to wonder now if there have been missed transmissions from the sensors so that the normal five minute interval between updates was perhaps 10, 15 or even more minutes (but less than 60).

BTW, at least one kit is listed with an extension antenna but not a repeater, so if you buy a kit and want a repeater, you should verify it is included.

In case of loss of signal

In case of loss of signal the 507 monitor will continue to display the last received data for around 52 minutes (or ten missed transmissions). After that, the monitor will display no data for the sensors that are not being received, and beep each time it displays for that tire (or tires) as it goes round-robin from sensor to sensor. In the case of two sensors, that is one beep every six seconds. If the monitor lost signal because it was carried away, then once the monitor is returned to the tow vehicle and starts to pick up the signal, it will display the values and stop beeping. Since transmissions are every five minutes it could be any amount of time up to five minutes to start to display again. I have verified this behavior with my unit.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I have used the TST507 system on my last 3 rigs so I'm happy with it. With my longest (Escape 21) I'm towing with a Tacoma - mounted the wireless the receiver on the rear window (using VHB tape) so there is no metal in the path. I've never had a signal loss issue.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:06 AM   #45

North Carolina
Yesterday I became even more convinced about the benefits of a TPMS.

My brother called me and told me that he was towing his 3,500 lb stickie camper when an ambulance pulled up beside him on the highway. While driving, he looked out and saw that the passenger side medic was holding up a whiteboard on which he has written, “You tire is almost flat!”

So he pulled over and found that one of the trailer tires was very low. He used his portable pump but the tire would not inflate past 35 psi and would not hold that pressure.

How incredible lucky he was that someone was able to spot this low tire and had a way to communicate with him before the tire starting ripping to shreds.

It turns out that the rubber valve stem had failed (a common problem). I should repeat my advice to be sure and use metal valve stems if you use stem mounted TPMS sensors. One of the few negatives of the TPMS is that stem mounted sensors can cause flexing of the rubber stems. In fact I would use metal stems regardless, or at the very least (if not using sensors) be sure and replace the rubber valve stems with every (4-7 year) tire change regardless of their apparent condition.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #46

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
I used TST sensors on our Scamp for many years. One failed last year after removal to top up the air in one tire. Oddly it then only indicated 40 lbs which apparently was a default reading. When I called tech support they indicated that this was a known issue and the spring in the stem pressure part of the sensor will "weaken" with time so one needs to back the tire valve stem seal out a bit to make sure it is hitting the sensor. This made sense as if it is not depressing the valve stem seal it can not measure the air pressure.

I did back out the stem as a test and also swapped tires. The functioning one worked on either tire the failed one, not on any.
So this did not work.

I learned with the initial installation that it was important to re-balance the wheels as with the security caps to prevent theft this added enough mass (weight) to unbalance the wheels.

With the new Escape, I was going to add a new set of 4 sensors. However, the best price I could find was $135 for a 2 pack so $270 for a set of four.
I did find another brand of temp/pressure sensors for cars on Amazon. These come with a set of 4 sensors for >$90!

TST is/was designed for big trucks and one can add a load of sensors to the system. With the FG trailers, it seems either a 2 or 4 sensor system would be adequate.

My $.02 worth...recalling that when living in Belize that was only the equivalent of US $.01! ;-)

Bat Dude
Old 09-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #47

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
[QUOTE=gordon2;688441]
At present, all of the TST kits include four or more sensors except for one, this 510 model which includes two sensors, the display, charger and a remote antenna. It is $205.95 shipped (to CONUS I assume).
[end quote]

I just learned from the TST sales manager that they are phasing out the 510 models - they are still for sale but being phased out. If you want the sealed battery it might be better to invest in the replacement model, the 507 hybrid. It has sealed batteries like the 510. The basic 507 has user-changeable batteries. Both the 507 and 507 hybrid are available with 2 sensors as well as with larger numbers.

I believe that the two systems are not compatible: if you have a 510 receiver you can't use 507 sensors and vice versa.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:58 AM   #48

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
another convert

I just returned from first trip with the TST system. I found it very reassuring to be able to check tire pressure and temp at a glance. I ordered directly from TST, nice folks to deal with. The set up instructions were confusing to me, but I persevered and finally got it. I understand there is a good video but wasn't aware of it at the time. I found the monitor (new color) hard to see in sunlight so I abandoned the windshield mount and used the foam cradle that sits on the dash. I'll continue to ponder a better mount.... For battery conservation, I removed the sensors when I returned home. I think I'll try to figure out how to remove the anti-theft feature, it's a little fiddly. I don't see a downside to having this kit.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:44 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I just returned from first trip with the TST system. For battery conservation, I removed the sensors when I returned home. I think I'll try to figure out how to remove the anti-theft feature, it's a little fiddly. I don't see a downside to having this kit.
FYI, I've had the TST system on three trailers; found that when left installed, the batteries usually last around 18 months; I just replace them annually rather than wait until they die on the road.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #50

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
... nice folks to deal with. The set up instructions were confusing to me, but I persevered and finally got it. I understand there is a good video but wasn't aware of it at the time....
Me too! The instructions were a struggle. They must have been translated to a foreign language and then back to English by some "artificial intelligence" device. And, yes, it is definitely reassuring to have the TPMS. I placed the readout on the console between the front seats, held in place by velcro, after trying various other locations. I glance at it once in a (long) while.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #51
Commercial Member

Oregon
My monitor is mounted to the rear window of my pickup. Check each time I hook up, otherwise the alarm is plenty loud when it beeps. Didn't want more dash junk.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #52

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
New trucks have sophisticated Tow packages which include such things as proximity monitors which include the trailer.
It is strange that they have not yet included trailer TPMS when a trailer is attached.
Hey, how about just put cameras in the trailers wheelwells?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #53

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
FYI,... I found that when left installed, the batteries usually last around 18 months; I just replace them annually rather than wait until they die on the road.
I was very proactive about removing the TST sensors whenever the trailer was parked for more than 24 hours (as much for theft prevention as to conserve battery). However I found that the batteries lasted about the same amount of time. I too think annual replacement is a good plan as I don't think it makes much difference in battery life if they are left on and activated or not most of the time. I no longer worry so much about taking them off as often.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:16 AM   #54
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I was very proactive about removing the TST sensors whenever the trailer was parked for more than 24 hours (as much for theft prevention as to conserve battery). However I found that the batteries lasted about the same amount of time. I too think annual replacement is a good plan as I don't think it makes much difference in battery life if they are left on and activated or not most of the time. and I no longer worry so much about taking them off as often.
I figured if I only removed one sensor at a time to change the battery, I wouldn't get them mixed up and put them on the wrong valve stem.....

Old 09-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #55

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
New trucks have sophisticated Tow packages which include such things as proximity monitors which include the trailer.
It is strange that they have not yet included trailer TPMS when a trailer is attached.
I think Ford trucks may now have this.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
I would not buy any auto manufacturers TPMS system due to the change several years ago to a standardized detection scheme that only detects that one tire is lower than the others. None of their systems detect WHICH tire is low any more; monitoring of the ABS sensors is used to differentiate when one axle revolves differently than the rest, which happens when the diameter of one tire decreases due to deflation.

That's why your tire pressure warning dash light no longer indicates which tire.

They also don't monitor temperature at all as there is no longer a sensor inside the tire.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Maybe, but not the one I'm looking at.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #58

Registry
Quote:
I would not buy any auto manufacturers TPMS system due to the change several years ago to a standardized detection scheme that only detects that one tire is lower than the others. None of their systems detect WHICH tire is low any more; monitoring of the ABS sensors is used to differentiate when one axle revolves differently than the rest, which happens when the diameter of one tire decreases due to deflation.

That's why your tire pressure warning dash light no longer indicates which tire.

They also don't monitor temperature at all as there is no longer a sensor inside the tire.
There are sensors in my TC, when do you think what you say was started.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #59
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
There are sensors in my TC, when do you think what you say was started.
The direct TPMS was required in 2008, when most vehicles had tire sensors in each tire. The indirect TPMS system started showing up in 2013-2014.

Note both systems allow a 25% deflation before sounding the alarm. On a heavy vehicle this could raise the tire temp quite a bit.

Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Making A Comeback On Some Imports - Tire Review Magazine

Old 09-27-2018, 08:47 PM   #60

Registry
Quote:
The direct TPMS was required in 2008, when most vehicles had tire sensors in each tire. The indirect TPMS system started showing up in 2013-2014.

Note both systems allow a 25% deflation before sounding the alarm. On a heavy vehicle this could raise the tire temp quite a bit.

Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems Making A Comeback On Some Imports - Tire Review Magazine
The TPMS on my 2008 Escape requires 3 pounds of pressure loss to set the light. It uses a battery operated sensor/ transmitter banded to the inside center of the wheel.
My 2016 Transit Connect has conventional stem mounted sensor/transmitters which register at about 4#of loss.
I seem to recall the indirect systems back around the turn of this century, before the mandate.

Maybe its making a comeback...

Now they do a LOT of functional gimmicks with the ABS, even traction control in some applications.
Have you heard of "vectoring"?